Demetrious Johnson must feel like a derp right now

HW has always been that way tho. Winning two straight at HW is more difficult than winning 5 straight at FW, as the power that the big guys pack hasn't no equivelant at the smaller weights. Some of these HW's are nearly three times the size of flyweights and thus pack three times more power.

This is why Fedor is the GOAT: had a streak better than Mighty Mouse in the most difficult division to get a streak going.

That's why I have multiple examples in different divisions and not just HW. But way to state the obvious for all of us.

Just because somebody stumbles into a title shot doesn't make them a "true contender".

This ^^^ statement is more applicable to TJ who was only offered the DJ fight because Cody couldn't do their fight. Make no mistake Borg was a rightful contender just on the mere fact he fights @125 him making weight is a different issue but it is his class, unlike TJ...

You mean strong arm tactics like...

1. Promoting the fuck out of the FLW division starting with a tournament that was broadcasted on FX.

2. Building up MM by having him headline 3 stacked UFC on FOX cards

3. Giving him the opportunity to headline 4 UFC PPV's.

4. Having him Co-main event the Jon Jones OSP PPV (Which was originally supposed to be Jones vs DC)

5. Or was it building a whole entire season of TUF around him where the winner faces him in the finale.

6. On the other hand it was probaly the UFC trying to give him a super fight with T.J. that royally screwed him over.

I'm not saying the UFC can't be pricks, but they have given MM a lot of opportunities.
You also forgot to iterate the fact that MM got to headline above Conor DP, Yoel vs Timmeh, Cerrone vs Bellator Champ Eduardo Melendez, Cruz's epic return, Cat's return vs now champ Nunes on a card that was littered with other now great fighters. 178 was originally going to be the most stacked card ever with Jones DC and they put the duck as the co-main, then giving him the main event in a card that would have sold MUCH better by putting Conor as the main event. The end result was that when people were ordering the card, they saw 'Johnson vs Carioso', which is still to this day arguably the weakest title fight of all time and a complete showcase for the Duck, ahead of 'Conor vs Poirier' and said 'fuck it'.

The UFC has given Mighty Duck chance after chance after chance, have tried to make him into the next GSP, have Rogan's UFC propaganda Podcast constantly fellatiate him and say he is way better than Fedor/"the greatest fighter ever", and Mighty Duck keeps responding by saying 'F the UFC and putting on big events, me and my coach think it's a better idea to fight Ray Borg, Carioso and Horiguchi'.

Such a fucking waste of talent. And I say this as someone that thinks the Duck is incredibly gifted but he just wastes his talent and we will never know how good he could have been. Like Jones, he is one tainted supplement or injury away from being out of his prime and us not knowing how far he could have taken it in his prime.

I never said any of those guy were true contenders. It's called comparisons my friend, maybe you've heard of them?

Then maybe comparing this situation with a bunch of fighters you wouldn't consider contenders isn't a good way to make your point with this Borg situation.

Borg wasn't gifted a title shot, the division was cleaned out and he's 5-1 in the division. He was the next logical person to take a shot at the unbeatable champ. Where as Bisping could have fought Yoel, Jacare or even rematched Luke.

Personally I consider getting a title shot while there is a group of superior fighters in your division, that you haven't beaten to earn it, lucking into the shot. That's just my opinion though.

You're projecting pretty hard how much you dislike DJ and therefore want to discredit a contender.

What the hell are you talking about, I didn't even mention DJ. I think he's earned his P4P #1 spot and am actually sad I don't get to see him fight tonight, even though it would be against sub-par competition.

And you can take your claim of over a decade and fuck off, yes I'm sure you were at UFC 1 too right? You're a Conor era n00b if I ever saw one.

Goddamn you got so triggered all because I don't think Borg is a legit contender. Go cry some more into your MM body pillow.

Then maybe comparing this situation with a bunch of fighters you wouldn't consider contenders isn't a good way to make your point with this Borg situation.

Personally I consider getting a title shot while there is a group of superior fighters in your division, that you haven't beaten to earn it, lucking into the shot. That's just my opinion though.

What the hell are you talking about, I didn't even mention DJ. I think he's earned his P4P #1 spot and am actually sad I don't get to see him fight tonight, even though it would be against sub-par competition.

Goddamn you got so triggered all because I don't think Borg is a legit contender. Go cry some more into your MM body pillow.

Learn to quote properly little man.

It's his own fault he took a fight with a guy that can't make weight

That's why I have multiple examples in different divisions and not just HW. But way to state the obvious for all of us.
Well, what you state is true, I'll give you that, but they were the three heaviest divisions and all had extenuating circumstances; they may have been all unworthy challengers but the fights were seen as being competeive, exciting Andy high selling. Mighty Mouse vs Borg, Carioso, Elliot, Gooch, Reis, etc were seen as not being any of those things

No doubt, Bisping vs Hendo was indefensible but it was nonetheless a fight that fans wanted to see owing to the first one being the most brutal KO of all time & it being Hendo's retirement bout. Gus getting the TS on a loss also still had extenuating circumstances, owing to how solid of a competitor Gus was, who his losses came (to Rumble the Destroyer and Jones in a fight many thought he won) and the fact Jones was an F up and left DC with no choice. Both those fights turned out to be amazing fights, full of fireworks, and fights that could have gone either way.

Cain vs Bigfoot was pretty horrid but still a fight in which the juiced up Bigfoot was seen to atleast have one punch KO ability
or would be a slaughter victim for Cain-def not 5 round sparring match as all MM fights seem to be.

Mighty Mouse has continually fought "Hendo Bisping 2" type match ups but against fighters that posed no threat, unlike Hendo did, and fights that were going to draw like shit, unlike Hendo Bisping, which was the highest grossing MW fight available. And if Mouse was even going to fight Benavidez or Dodson for the third time, fans would rather see those fights repeated than seeing Borg, Pettis, Carioso types as they are just trash and not title ready. It's just become absurd: move up and let the division develop - let Cejudo learn how to put his game together, let some contenders get some more experiences, don't just pounce on them when they have nothing to offer except an easy win and poor numbers.

This ^^^ statement is more applicable to TJ who was only offered the DJ fight because Cody couldn't do their fight. Make no mistake Borg was a rightful contender just on the mere fact he fights @125 him making weight is a different issue but it is his class, unlike TJ...

People weren't asking for the TJ fight because they thought he was a typical contender in the 125 division, they wanted it because it would have been one of the greatest fights we've seen in that division. People wanna see MM test himself to truly see how he stacks up.

Also, by that logic you would be calling the entire 125 division legit contenders. If everybody is then nobody is.

If the UFC had treated him with more respect, I think the TJ fight might have happened. MM is a calculated guy and most assuredly would have rather faced Borg, but I think the duck was mainly just to throw the finger at the way the UFC handled it.

That being said I wish Dana had stuck to his word and scrapped the entire division. Bunch of god damn manlets.

People weren't asking for the TJ fight because they thought he was a typical contender in the 125 division, they wanted it because it would have been one of the greatest fights we've seen in that division. People wanna see MM test himself to truly see how he stacks up.

Also, by that logic you would be calling the entire 125 division legit contenders. If everybody is then nobody is.

If the people really wanted to see TJ & DJ go at it Dana should've done a better job in making the fight happen starting with talking to DJ first rather than other people. As I stated in another post if TJ & Dana were truly confident that TJ could make the weight, then bend a little to MM with the weight issue. It's just wordz on a contract until you can't fulfill them.

But by not bending on that issue shows me they (Dana & TJ) weren't that confident that TJ could do it without concern.

Everybody in every division from scrub to superstar is a contender it's how far you climb or fall which determines your status, somebody drops out you get the call rise to the occasion you become a hotter contender...

Last edited:

10 straight defenses against Olympic medalists, undefeated fighters and finishing most of them with ease isn't testing himself? GTFO. Dodson got smoked twice and went up and was crushing 135ers.

But let's stick with the point, you're saying it's on DJ to let someone skip the line? He and Tyron are the only one's in the the entire UFC fighting the true contenders. You're a joke, son.

10 straight defenses against Olympic medalists, undefeated fighters and finishing most of them with ease isn't testing himself? GTFO. Dodson got smoked twice and went up and was crushing 135ers.

But let's stick with the point, you're saying it's on DJ to let someone skip the line? He and Tyron are the only one's in the the entire UFC fighting the true contenders. You're a joke, son.

Why so defensive? I'm talking about why people in general wanted the fight, not my own reasons, so calm your ass down.
I wanted the fight because they are two of the best fighters in the lower division, and it would give DJ a chance to cement himself in the minds of people who write off the 125 division, as well as being an amazing fight in general.

Maybe stop fucking jumping to conclusions every time you respond, you sound so defensive when there's no need to.

Skipping the line? DJ already beat the top contenders and is trying to pick fights with people who haven't fought to the top and cemented themselves as contenders yet. This fight would have been made with the understanding that it's a one off super fight. Whether you agree that should happen or not is entirely different, but I'm a fan of the best fighting the best.

Back