Defending the classic judo hip throw

snowman22

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
How do you defend the hip throw when the opponent has you gripped up and is just about to turn his hip into you?

Knee strike to his ass, very efficient

Do this.

ronda-rousey-knock-out-ko.gif

Keep your hips lower than his. Or you can time it right and counter with a tani otoshi/ura nage

literally every judo throw. but the idea is not to give up grip dominance. it's like conceding position in groundwork. there are things you can do, but you fucked up a long time ago.

So they have the grip, but haven't actually moved into position? Aside from everything else people have written, you can also block their hip to prevent the turn in, and spin around them.

From a Judoka turned BJJer
A. What judo hip throw you talking about? O goshi?

B. You let a Judoka get his/her grip? Shame on you.

C. Why aren't you attacking? Defence sucks, attack and keep initiative.

D. Recognize you've been had, breakfall, keep working, if it's BJJ you're not done. If it's judo...get better at judo

E. Not a fan of clinging to the back during a high impact fall. A higher ranked (bjj) partner of mine did so during either an uchimata or harigoshi (cant recall where my leg was) he went down hard and hurt (i don't over-rotate: throw to pin, pin to win) If it's BJJ, take the fall and keep playing, you're not going to lose instantly and you are less likely to suffer bruised body parts.

Keep your hips lower than his. Or you can time it right and counter with a tani otoshi/ura nage

If you're that much better standing than him.

But then you wouldn't have let him get grips or set you up to get thrown.

My tani, uranage wins were against guys who rushed shitty throws without proper setups.

Style points (yes, I know it's seoi. Shut up):

literally every judo throw. but the idea is not to give up grip dominance. it's like conceding position in groundwork. there are things you can do, but you fucked up a long time ago.

Nobody wants to hear this, but it's as true as it ever was. It's not a move, it's about not letting yourself get outgripped and off-balanced.

Generally you either hip in/lower level and rip the arm back or you rotate around so he can't turn and load you up. If you are too late for either, prepare for launch.

Nobody wants to hear this, but it's as true as it ever was. It's not a move, it's about not letting yourself get outgripped and off-balanced.

Generally you either hip in/lower level and rip the arm back or you rotate around so he can't turn and load you up. If you are too late for either, prepare for launch.

If you can only get sleeve and collar, and cannot cross grip, how do out grip or not get out gripped?

Neutral grips are fine. If you have your own collar and sleeve grips, you should be able to attack and counter. If your opponent has good grips and you don't, you already fucked up and need to work back to neutral or better grips.

You don't need superior grips, but you can't be affirmatively outgripped and expect to survive.

I just want to know what is considered good grip, or better grip. It seems the judo gripping rules limit the grips you or opponent can take. What is even a neutral grip?

I just want to know what is considered good grip, or better grip. It seems the judo gripping rules limit the grips you or opponent can take. What is even a neutral grip?

the grip in judo is like the collar tie/body lock/headlock in wrestling or the plum in muay thai. establishing control gives you the impetus.

the new gripping rules are basically 'don't stall'.

sleeve/lapel is the 'standard'/'neutral' grip but where you grip depends on a lot of factors - their body type/height, your body type/height, throws you want to go for, etc.

How do you defend the hip throw when the opponent has you gripped up and is just about to turn his hip into you?
If you do not have grip use your hand to control space between his hip and your body.

Back