Defending the classic judo hip throw

If you do not have grip use your hand to control space between his hip and your body.

You will get penalized for that nowadays, at least with the rules here in cali. Blocking the hip with your hand works, but it is a pure defensive stall. If you are using your hands to defend rather than to take offensive grips and attack, you get shido.

I actually own Jimmy Pedro's "gripfighting for champions" vid. It essentially boils down to dont let opponent get two grips. Preferable opponent has no grips but that is almost impossible, so blocking off one hand, and then getting inside collar grip should prevent opponent's free hand from getting good grip on your collar.

To me, that seems like a lot of focus on the upper body strength and stamina. Since it is just one grip he mentions, it is all about struggling to get out or maintain that particular grip. In arts with less restriction like Sambo, certain grips really put more pressure on opponent and less on the attacker.

the grip in judo is like the collar tie/body lock/headlock in wrestling or the plum in muay thai. establishing control gives you the impetus.

the new gripping rules are basically 'don't stall'.

sleeve/lapel is the 'standard'/'neutral' grip but where you grip depends on a lot of factors - their body type/height, your body type/height, throws you want to go for, etc.

With a bodylock, like a bear hug is what I am imagining, if someone is underneath my arms, and bear hugging me, there really is no other grip that will give me any control over my opponent. I will first have to break out of bear hug first.

With a bodylock, like a bear hug is what I am imagining, if someone is underneath my arms, and bear hugging me, there really is no other grip that will give me any control over my opponent. I will first have to break out of bear hug first.

Watch some Bo Nickal; getting double overhooks against guys digging hard for underhooks is (one of) his signature tactics.

Back