Dec.26th Naoya Inoue vs Marlon Tapales

TBH I don’t really remember why exactly Inoue didn’t try to unify at 115 after he got the WBO belt. He stayed for a few years at the weight. What’s the story again ?

(Being both an Inoue and a Chocolatito / SSR fan I don’t really claim anyone ducked the others, I just lack a clue)

Wasn’t quite a duck but it was a big miss.
I don’t think his handlers wanted him running that gauntlet at that time.
No way he comes out unscathed.

Reactions: Po
TBH I don’t really remember why exactly Inoue didn’t try to unify at 115 after he got the WBO belt. He stayed for a few years at the weight. What’s the story again ?

(Being both an Inoue and a Chocolatito / SSR fan I don’t really claim anyone ducked the others, I just lack a clue)

It was thought they'd fight around 2015 when Inoue made one defense of his 108lb title and moved up but he skipped 112lbs and settled at 115

Inoue's team sent an offer after Gonzalez fought Cuadras, Gonzalez didn't like the offer and thought he'd get more to rematch Cuadras. That didn't happen and Gonzalez fought SSR instead. Inoue and Gonzalez were both on the same card when Inoue fought Antonio Nieves and Gonzalez fought SSR again. Inoue wanted to fight Gonzalez after but Gonzalez did not beat SSR . Inoue moved on.

Last edited:
Whats that mean? Does he get fined? Do they cancel the fight?
I'm guessing it just means he has 2 weeks to cut 5.6 lbs. Shouldn't be a big deal. I've known guys to cut more than that in a week.

I'm guessing it just means he has 2 weeks to cut 5.6 lbs. Shouldn't be a big deal. I've known guys to cut more than that in a week.
100% of professional boxers are able to cut 3 times that amount in a week.

Are there any interesting contenders at the weight? Since the monster announced he’s gonna defend twice before considering any moving up.

Are there any interesting contenders at the weight? Since the monster announced he’s gonna defend twice before considering any moving up.

- Nery was champ a while back and he deserves a good beating
- MJ was arguably the best in the division prior to losing to Tapales

i dont know how some people thought that was ever gonna be a fight, realistically. theyre too far apart in weight.
that being said, its cool that Inoue and Tank have both said good things about each other and have mutual respect. boxing needs more of that.

i dont know how some people thought that was ever gonna be a fight, realistically. theyre too far apart in weight.
that being said, its cool that Inoue and Tank have both said good things about each other and have mutual respect. boxing needs more of that.

It's the whole "Well Pac did it, so if this Japanese doesn't do it he's not that good".

Oh he is good. Inoue all the way. probably less than 3 rounds, Tapales will go down.

5.6lbs isn't hard to cut in a day dude.

Nah that just means he only did a mini cut that day and not a full out hi-low sodium / sauna dry out.

He only needs to be within 5 or 10% of the contract weigh in, this far out.

Back