Dec.26th Naoya Inoue vs Marlon Tapales

rigo was so overrated as a pro. his claim to fame was beating a non strategic donaire.

havent we all learned that inoue has an advantage over everyone with his speed, timing and distance.
i think inoue beats rigo, but to call him overrated as a pro is really unfair. in his prime, for quite a while, the man looked untouchable. not the most exciting fighter, but holy shit could he box beautifully.

and donaire was 31-1 when rigo beat him, and clearly still in his prime. strategic or not, donaire was a fantastic fighter.

its a shame Naoya never got to face Choco, Estrada, Rungvisai, etc. maybe his body grew too quickly and he couldnt do 115

Yea its a shame. I think he would have had to wait in line for like 2-3 years before getting a fight with one of the 3. They were still fighting each other back when he was in 115 and he was a no name back then compared to them. I guess he took the Super six offer at 118 before sitting out and not getting good fights.

i think inoue destroys estrada, to be honest. i'd still like to see it now, i know it's not his fault but i hold a grudge against estrada for the 2nd chocolatito fight. gonzalez looked thoroughly done vs rungvisai and then made a hollywood-esque comeback, including the rematch with estrada, and the fuckers robbed him.

i have to be one of the biggest fans of chocolatito, but i'm not sure he could handle naoya, even when he was still in his prime. i have a feeling he'd have real difficulties with the length and the power.

as for this fight, it would really be awesome if naoya makes it 2 unification fights back to back and becomes undisputed in his second fight in the division. this kid is not interested in easy fights.
the Choco-Estrada trilogy is one of the strangest ive seen in my lifetime. first fight, Estrada gets robbed. second fight, Choco gets robbed. its still 1-1 but the wrong man won each fight! and then the 3rd fight was extremely close. I thought Estrada won but you could make an argument for Choco winning.
just bizarre. but also speaks to how close in skill these two superb boxers were and still are.

Tapales is a bad man. Saw him live and he's got some serious power. He reminded me of Ippo lol

If Inoue can't get stern competition he just go full steam ahead, fight as fast as possible and remove everyone then retire with no one left standing

rigo was so overrated as a pro. his claim to fame was beating a non strategic donaire.

havent we all learned that inoue has an advantage over everyone with his speed, timing and distance.

rigo was highly talented he just landed in a better era

i think inoue beats rigo, but to call him overrated as a pro is really unfair. in his prime, for quite a while, the man looked untouchable. not the most exciting fighter, but holy shit could he box beautifully.

and donaire was 31-1 when rigo beat him, and clearly still in his prime. strategic or not, donaire was a fantastic fighter.

i consider rigo was a great fighter, but still overrated.
i don't know about untouchable. He was a purely defensive, counter boxer, who most times would hardly engage.

he was 37 when he got dominated by loma. that sticks out like a sore thumb.
in his prime, he got knocked down 2x by a medicore amagasa.
clearly the donaire fight was his best win. knocked down again, and the was somewhat close.

who else did he beat that makes him superior to inoue?

relative to inoue, i think he beats rigo at mostly everything.

as for this fight, it would really be awesome if naoya makes it 2 unification fights back to back and becomes undisputed in his second fight in the division. this kid is not interested in easy fights.

This fight with Fulton is only one where we can say he “challenged” himself.
The rest of his run has fairly weak bar a fight or two.

He’s all they say he is but the way he skipped a whole weight class of killers just never sat right with me. Yes yes, I know the prepared lines some people bleat out about nobody being available for the 5 minutes he could’ve possibly made weight in a higher division but still.
There’s no way he runs that gauntlet of Four without a loss.

Be that as it may, he’s got a clear road to 126 where he can unify too.

i consider rigo was a great fighter, but still overrated.
i don't know about untouchable. He was a purely defensive, counter boxer, who most times would hardly engage.

he was 37 when he got dominated by loma. that sticks out like a sore thumb.
in his prime, he got knocked down 2x by a medicore amagasa.
clearly the donaire fight was his best win. knocked down again, and the was somewhat close.

who else did he beat that makes him superior to inoue?

relative to inoue, i think he beats rigo at mostly everything.

He was 37 and massively undersized when he fought Loma.
Literally everybody and their mothers saw it as the money grab that it was. Which was okay because every top fighter ran away from him.

Rigo was a defensive fighter but with a heavy, heavy laser like left.
Every top fighter he DID fight quickly learned the value of hugs and affection in the ring or got embarrassed like Donito. The same Donito who got old and broke Inoue’s face and gave him his hardest fight.

Going down to Amagasa isn’t that big a deal as most everybody does go down. Sometimes to inferior fighters because you’re not taking them seriously or are trying too hard.
What happened after ? Oh yeah, another broken face.

He was 37 and massively undersized when he fought Loma.
Literally everybody and their mothers saw it as the money grab that it was. Which was okay because every top fighter ran away from him.

Rigo was a defensive fighter but with a heavy, heavy laser like left.
Every top fighter he DID fight quickly learned the value of hugs and affection in the ring or got embarrassed like Donito. The same Donito who got old and broke Inoue’s face and gave him his hardest fight.

Going down to Amagasa isn’t that big a deal as most everybody does go down. Sometimes to inferior fighters because you’re not taking them seriously or are trying too hard.
What happened after ? Oh yeah, another broken face.

donaire landed a great punch, but inoue still beat him with one eye double vision. we all know what happened in the rematch.

rigo would get steamrolled by the current inoue. there isnt one thing that rigo used to do better, except avoid contact.

Maybe it isn't so exciting, but this is the fight to make next. I dont expect Tapales to last over 8 rounds, but unification is great. I'm still interested in Inoue-MJ, despite the latter losing to Tapales.

More food to Inoue.
If boxing only had one belt for each weight class I would not care at all about this matchup. I just feel its right for him to be called undisputed before destroying another weight class.

He’s all they say he is but the way he skipped a whole weight class of killers just never sat right with me. Yes yes, I know the prepared lines some people bleat out about nobody being available for the 5 minutes he could’ve possibly made weight in a higher division but still.

you're kidding, right? he won the 108lbs WBC belt in his 6th pro fight, moved up to 115 two fights later and annihilated the 43-1 narvaez who had like a record number of title defenses there, later moved to 118 where he trashed mcdonnell, who was seen as a legit threat, then he wreaked havoc through the tournament winning 3 belts. this is the 4th weight class in which he is champion, and he actually skipped one... in 25 fights!

he's mowing down champions as he moves through 4 weight classes and makes it look easy, but this is the first time he's challenged himself?

mind you, every time he's gone up, people have said that his prior fights haven't been that meaningful, and this one will really be his first challenge. and then he knocks the guy dead in 2 minutes and everyone shrugs and says he isn't challenging himself.

chocolatito in his prime may have given him a run for his money, but cuadras, rungvisai and estrada all get laid the fuck out as far as i'm concerned. i adore everything roman gonzalez does, but this insinuation that inoue was ducking these guys is ridiculous.

It's well documented that chocolatito avoided inoue like the plague.

inoue was only interested in fighting the best in chocolatito.
this was when chocolatito was undefeated, p4p ring #1 and had beaten estrada and cuadras.
gonzales was offered a unification fight with inoue. gonzales flat out turned it down. he said the issue was money, despite the fact that it was the highest payday of his career. you do the math.
in addition, gonzales was asked again if he wanted to fight inoue at 118. gonzales said "i don't think i would like to go to 118. that's not my goal".

i've followed the scene in japan since inoue's debut, and gonzales' reign.

inoue has been one of the most avoided fighters in boxing.
that's why he had no choice but to compete in the super series.

you're kidding, right? he won the 108lbs WBC belt in his 6th pro fight, moved up to 115 two fights later and annihilated the 43-1 narvaez who had like a record number of title defenses there, later moved to 118 where he trashed mcdonnell, who was seen as a legit threat, then he wreaked havoc through the tournament winning 3 belts. this is the 4th weight class in which he is champion, and he actually skipped one... in 25 fights!

he's mowing down champions as he moves through 4 weight classes and makes it look easy, but this is the first time he's challenged himself?

mind you, every time he's gone up, people have said that his prior fights haven't been that meaningful, and this one will really be his first challenge. and then he knocks the guy dead in 2 minutes and everyone shrugs and says he isn't challenging himself.

chocolatito in his prime may have given him a run for his money, but cuadras, rungvisai and estrada all get laid the fuck out as far as i'm concerned. i adore everything roman gonzalez does, but this insinuation that inoue was ducking these guys is ridiculous.

You can tell straight away if someone follows the lower weightclasses or not when they think Fulton was the first time Naoya really challenged himself.

Tapales is a completely different style from all others, that's why it will be interesting. A lot of defense and passivity can suffocate Inoue.

Back