Debunked martial arts myths from the 80's and 90's

Bruce Lee being able to beat up Mike Tyson is a good one. Not just beat him, but destroy him within seconds. Amazing that so many idiots still believe stuff like that.

Give them both nunchaku, a staff, 2 short sticks, or a sword.

Bruce wins.

Who the fuck thought kicking a solid concrete block is a good kicking exercise? It's fucking retarded. Tree kicking though is legit as fuck and alpha as fuck.

How about those who think Capoeira is legit thanks to Tekken?

And I still have a friend that believes no touch KO is real, I cringe just thinking about it.

Here is decorated BJJ black belt Amaury Bitetti getting beaten senseless by a Capoeira fighter.

Not a myth. I never left the house without wearing these...just in case I had to roundhouse a fool.

chucknorris.jpg

Anyone remember that Asian fighter who was in one UFC event whose striking defense was "catching" the punches? That fight didn't last long.

what are we defining as "Asians"?

also, pressure points!!

B b b but...

David Carradine, bro.

Kwai Chang Caine... FTW.

Painting fences and catching flies with chopsticks does not a badass make :(

Everyone who is over 30 has experienced a world where martial arts were seen as some mystical thing from Asia. MMA really showed how we had been bullshitted for years and years. By fake sensei's, Hollywood and shaolin demonstrations. So here are some of the myths most people believed in the 80's and 90's. Please feel free to add more:

Asians are superior when it comes to fighting
Almost 25 years of MMA showed us that, while there are good Asian fighters, they actually delivered the least amount of champions while having half the world population on their continent.

One inch/finger death punch
Yep when i was 8 i truly believed it was possible. Not only that, fucking adults told me that shit. In the 80's we had no internet and people actually believed some senseis could do that by training in the mountains while living off a bear colony and breathing underwater.

No touch KO
Some people actually still believe that shit is possible. Just look up a video of it on youtube, read the comments, filter the trolls and come to the same conclusion.

3434wrsdfsfsf.png

For some reason those sensei's are always fat.

Defending a choke and then kick in the groins is the way to go
In the 90's women self defence courses were very popular, and they kinda still are. The main thing they teach here is to defend against a choke where the attacker grabs the neck with both hands, get free and knee in the balls. I've watched basically every fight on the internet, that shit has never happened. Most women just get KTFO when fighting a man.. with some exceptions of course.

13042015-647x395.jpg

In the history of mankind only six women have been attacked like this.

Shaolin monks are the best fighters in the world
No they are not. They are basically circus artists. Being able to balance on a spear with your stomach will not punch or choke out Fedor. Punching a wall a million times will not make you a champion.

Kicking your shin against a concrete wall is a good thing to do
Yeah most of us did that shit. For those who didn't: don't do it.

Edit: there is some truth to this since microfractures make the bone denser. Still kicking concrete is a dumb thing to do.
kickboxer-tongpo.gif

F*ck off Tsong Po. I still have bumps on my shins because of this shit.

Pushing on pressure points with your finger can KO people.
No it can not. It can hurt, but it doesn't hurt enough to control any trained fighter who can handle some pain. I could handle anything some 3rd degree jiu jitsu shian could throw at me, and i suck at pain control. It's bullshit.

Frank Dux
Frank Dux is basically a collection of all above. If you never heard of him, google him and have a good laugh.

Bonus:
Sherbro Leinster Rugby added:
"how about that one about punching someones nose bits up into their brain for an instant one-punch-murder. I can remember hearing that as a kid and thinking it sounded retarded"

Sherbro Shocktagon added:
"I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who took karate lessons at the mall, got into a fight, paralyzed the guy, then got convicted of murder because during the trial it came out that his hands were registered lethal weapons."

194255310_14da8b2350_m.jpg
FUCK OFF, YOU NEVER KICKED CONCRETE LIKE IN THAT GIF

Yea I thought like this... fuck Karate Kid, fuck Hollywood
When I was 12 I started Karate Shotokan classes
oh boy, 2 years lost. Shotokan really sucks. Almost everything you learn you won't use in a real fight.

Bunch of smelly cellar dwelling Sherbro's getting randy going on about how "real" MMA is, LOL!

Pat yourselves on the back and then go spank it to some Gracie nutthugging...

While you're at it why don't you ponder why military strategy didn't evolve from solders rolling around on their tummies in Turtle suites rather than standing Martial technique in H2H combat, haha!

We should be fighting wars in Mole mobiles according to the Neanderthal thinking of MMA Shertards, cause all fighting ends up on the ground, LOL!

punching someone in the temple kills them

When I was a kid I thought I all I had to do was go to the woods to train for a year and come out a Kung Fu God who could defy gravity. When I found out the truth my fighting career came to an abrupt end.

well nobody has done it so there might be truth to it lol.

Steven Seagal and Aikido. Do I need to elaborate? Neither of them work.

how do you explain this! :D

dom really panic wrestled there. ninja was a stand up threat lol. but seriously he did ok for a guy who never done grappling.

er... Capoeira IS real.
You need to brush your Brazilian history.
Slaves used it to rebel.
it is mixed with dance, so they could "train" in plain sight of their masters.

lol i'm pretty sure the actual rebelling was done with like pitchforks, knives, swords, guns etc. pitchfork>capoeira

Yeah MMA pretty much ruined action movies, fighting videogames, and pro-wrestling for me.

fight coreographers just need to get with the times mma/ground techniques can look good in movies:

this should also apply to ufc flyweights

9RP9FAs.gif

Tell that to fredson paixao

thats actually pretty awesome. MMA fans need to stay humble. early 2000s hardly anyone was throwing spinning kicks and push kicks to the knee or spinning elbows. now all high level strikers know about them. i wondering though if the gloves/wraps makes wristlocks harder to do.

Don't forget how the movie "only the strong" led us to believe that Brazilian gangs used capoeira to fight their battles

Anyone remember that Asian fighter who was in one UFC event whose striking defense was "catching" the punches? That fight didn't last long.

Actually I think I do. It wasn't all that long ago either which is the shocking part. Like a couple of years max. I remember rogan trying to hype him up the first 2 minutes as a super unique striker with unorthodox defense and good power. It kinda worked to for about the first 2 minutes until he started catching the punches with his face.

Bunch of smelly cellar dwelling Sherbro's getting randy going on about how "real" MMA is, LOL!

Pat yourselves on the back and then go spank it to some Gracie nutthugging...

While you're at it why don't you ponder why military strategy didn't evolve from solders rolling around on their tummies in Turtle suites rather than standing Martial technique in H2H combat, haha!

We should be fighting wars in Mole mobiles according to the Neanderthal thinking of MMA Shertards, cause all fighting ends up on the ground, LOL!

What the fuck are you talking about?

Most asian martial arts that are pretty ancient were more of an exercise for the body and mind and
not for combat.

Back