Debunked martial arts myths from the 80's and 90's

Bruce Lee being able to beat up Mike Tyson is a good one. Not just beat him, but destroy him within seconds. Amazing that so many idiots still believe stuff like that.

Bruce Lee being able to beat up Mike Tyson is a good one. Not just beat him, but destroy him within seconds. Amazing that so many idiots still believe stuff like that.

I do wonder though how Tyson would've done against UFC 1 Gracie... in UFC 1. That would be the most interesting fight ever in hindsight.

I think Gracie would've won.. but not that sure.

A relatively recent one...which still exists in some circles is the jungle warrior myth: The guy that hasn't been found yet, who's tall and big as hell and has the warrior genes to rule the UFC HW div without any training (goes for NFL & NBA players as well).

I saw a Sherdog thread the other day where people were claiming LeBron James could win the UFC's heavyweight crown tomorrow.

Since I saw it on the Internet, does that make it true?

I do wonder though how Tyson would've done against UFC 1 Gracie... in UFC 1. That would be the most interesting fight ever in hindsight.

Royce was no fool.

He wouldn't wait for the opening bell to shoot on Tyson -- he'd go for the takedown during fighter introductions.

It still holds up bro, time to dust of that vhs tape

- I love that movie, they can`t make something as awesome with today technology.
The ninja villain had flame-throwers, missiles and all impossible weapons on his sleeve.

720full-american-ninja-screenshot.jpg

- Do you ever heard about ninjutsu the secret art of the ninja?

Captain answers

- Yes. I heard about it.

- I love that movie, they can`t make something as awesome with today technology.
The ninja villain had flame-throwers, missiles and all impossible weapons on his sleeve.

720full-american-ninja-screenshot.jpg

- Do you ever heard about ninjutsu the secret art of the ninja?

Captain answers

- Yes. I heard about it.

I practiced Jiu Jitsu while my friend trained Ninjitsu. Everyone was pretty sure he would fuck me up.

If he could have taken it to the ground immediately, yes. Tyson jabs him with mma gloves it's over.

The idea that you could actually defend against a knife attack using nothing but your hands was pretty common back in the day (e.g. every damn Seagal movie).

You still see some of that silliness in action movies today, but not nearly as much – especially after the Bourne movies popularised the escrima inspired improvised weapon approach to knife defence.

Takedown in seconds, submission.

How the fuck would Tyson even know how to defend the TD?

How is this even a question? Maybe ask what would win a tractor pull, a tractor or a Ferrari?

How is this even a question? Maybe ask what would win a tractor pull, a tractor or a Ferrari?

Yeah probably... at the same time Kimo kinda avoided takedown if it wasn;t for Royce grabbing his hair. With only a little bit of training and knowledge about BJJ Tyson would probably have a good chance imo.

Only a ninja can kill a ninja.

Oh wait. I thought you said truths from 80s martial arts

If he could have taken it to the ground immediately, yes. Tyson jabs him with mma gloves it's over.

Jimmerson wasn't a can and the jab didn't save him.

Toney was an even better boxer and actually trained some MMA before a MMA artist beat the shit of him.

Keep your hands up, protect your face and take the boxer down. Every striker who has success in MMA knows how to defend the takedown and has BJJ defense.

Yeah probably... at the same time Kimo kinda avoided takedown if it wasn;t for Royce grabbing his hair. With only a little bit of training and knowledge about BJJ Tyson would probably have a good chance imo.

I agree but that training and knowledge = a year minimum. Green Tyson would have been clowned. Ali knew that when he 'fought' Inoki.

The thing is you simply can't compare the speed, power, athleticism and skills of Tyson with the guys Gracie was up against in UFC 1, it really is night and day. Your talking about an elite, world class athlete compared to relative nobodies.

I guess a lot of it depends on if Tyson knew what to expect. But while it's easy to say Tyson wouldn't know what to do against BJJ, what has Gracie ever done to prepare for having an elite of the elite, insanely fast and powerful, world class heavyweight boxer letting rip on him? It works both ways.

Beating people like Art Jimmerson and Ken Shamrock is one thing, some like Tyson is completely different. It's a bit like Tyson beating up a bunch of newb BJJ white belts who didn't know who he was so had no clue what was about to come their way and this being used as proof that Tyson could beat any BJJ practitioner.

Jimmerson wasn't a can and the jab didn't save him.

Toney was an even better boxer and actually trained some MMA before a MMA artist beat the shit of him.

Keep your hands up, protect your face and take the boxer down. Every striker who has success in MMA knows how to defend the takedown and has BJJ defense.
Tyson > Jimmerson by a large margin.

Toney fought Couture, a heavyweight wrestling based mma fighter. Totally different scenario.

Not saying Tyson would have won, but he touches Gracie and it's over

Depends how much advance notice he had of the event, and how seriously he took it. Royce had pretty poor takedowns, if Tyson had half a year to seriously work with wrestlers and judoka on takedown defense he might have been able to stay on his feet long enough to end it. On the other hand, if Tyson was going in Rickson would have represented BJJ, and he had much better takedowns.

I agree but that training and knowledge = a year minimum. Green Tyson would have been clowned. Ali knew that when he 'fought' Inoki.

I don't think Tyson would've needed a whole year to be at least competitive against Gracie. Again see Royce's fight against Kimo.

That said i agree with the green Tyson who has no idea what a takedown is.

Mike tyson said in an interview that it would have been impossible for him to beat hoyce even in his prime. Hoyce offered to fight him and Tysons camp refused because boxings big wigs told them not to. If tyson had lost to hoyce on national tv boxing would have died 10 years sooner

Back