Darkest Dungeon

Scarzi

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Anyone playing it? It has a nice art style and makes you make tough choices. Heroes are unimportant in this game, you just abuse them as much as possible before they die. Its pretty fun, different for an RPG.

I want to but I try to stay away form anything that is in the early access stages

Think I own it... But I buy too many games on PC on sale/bundles then never play them

Been watching some let's plays and it looks great, looks hard as nails too, i'm gonna wait til it comes out on PS4 though,

Fun game, sucks its not complete. Beat the first 3 dungeons expecting to unlock the 4th and 5th but they aren't in game yet.

Pro tip Hellion carries hard for boss fights 2 camp buffs, then buff from cleric and bounty makes it ez mode.

My layout was Zestel Bounty Hellion Crusader.

Zestel Hellion and Crusader were fixed for boss fights but bounty is replaceable with Highwayman or Grave Robber. I stuck with Bounty due to his stun and the one ability which can attack all 4 enemy positions the one that does bonus damage when the enemy is stunned.

If i played carefully i could of beat the game without losing any champions but I just threw away some level 0's or 1's once their stress got to 100 or auto abandoned quests just to make the week go by.

My only complaint was having to waste 2-3 runs running trash groups while my main group visited the sanitorium and got de-stressed.

A layout I used to clear dungeons quick was two highwaymen with point blank shot, they'd rotated back and forth and make fights super fast. If not for the low hp I woulda used them for boss fights.

Witch doctor, occultist and jester seemed useless for the most part but maybe i just didn't play them right or give them a chance.

Overall fun game and can't wait till its actually released with all 5 dungeons in 6 months or so...

If you want to cheese things, you make a stall party. Core of that is a Vestal for physical healing (also has a front ranks stun,) Bounty Hunter with flashbang to stun any rank (later in the game the stun level gets to 200% which means you can stun just about anything everytime you use it,) and something that can do Stress healing (like Crusader.) Kill groups until only one is left (preferably with low stun resist) then just keep it perma-stunned and heal over and over until everyone is back to full.

Kind've boring, but it can help in the early going when you lack the town upgrades. For a more fun party later on, I'm digging 2 Hellions, 1 Highwayman, and a Jester. Jester just buffs while the rest unleash AOE smackdown.

So the full release launched today.

I actually tried to wait until today to play but I ended up playing for a few hours a couple weeks ago just to get my hype up since the only build I've played has been the original early access build.

It seems like they've changed a few things around since the original build.

My main team now consists of (from back to front)

Houndmaster, Zestal, Hellion, Crusader

I have a non boss group that just rapes which consists of

Zestal, Grave Robber, Highwayman, Highwayman

The arbalest seems like the weakest class atm, there's no reason to take an arbalest in the 4th slot when you can choose a houndmaster.

Witch doctor who used to be pretty weak is actually pretty boss now against high hp/armor classes. He has blight and bleed attacks so if hit someone with blight then two bleed attacks the enemy is losing 9hp per turn just from the witch doctor.

I'm hoping to get to play tonight or tomorrow. I haven't really tried it but it seems they made completely dark runs (where you run a dungeon with no torches) almost impossible when in the original build that was the best way to gain gold and artifacts.

Heroes are still throwaways so grabbing some 0 recruits and running a long or medium apprentice dungeon then dismissing them at the end is the best way to make money and not spend it.

It costs more to treat negative quirks and gold cost in general have increased. Through the blacksmith, guildhall, and sanitorium you're probably going to spend close to 300k just to lvl one hero to max so pic carefully.

This is a great game for anyone that loves turn based rpg's.

Edit: The reason why I take crusader is I can rotate either his stress heal or his heal for those tough fights or long dungeons, also I start my Crusader in the 3rd slot so he can holy lance his way to the front. Holy lance practically kills any 3rd or 4th row enemy with one attack and if they aren't dead from the one attack the houndmasters aoe bleed or the hellions breakthrough (attacks first 3 targets) will finish them off. The zestals first attack is usually always a stun +torchlight.

Last edited:
I played it a few months ago, decided to wait for the full release before playing it again. I really like the theme, the squad based stuff, and the morale/mental health mechanics. It felt pretty imbalanced when I played it though, and there was no real 'game over', you just got new heroes. Looking forward to playing more though.

Awesome game had it since early access. Only complaints are that the only difficulty comes from rng, and there's no way to actually lose. Love the atmosphere.

Awesome game had it since early access. Only complaints are that the only difficulty comes from rng, and there's no way to actually lose. Love the atmosphere.
Sweetness thanks for the heads up of been waiting for it to get out of early access. I love the art design

Sweetness thanks for the heads up of been waiting for it to get out of early access. I love the art design

Yeah honestly the art is what drew me in. The narration is amazing too. The game really feels like it exists in its own world

So the full game is out now. I'm a few hours in, and even though I learned the game mechanics by peeping streams beforehand, it's a challenging game. Not difficult per se, but very punishing. You can be as prepared as possible, and then make one mistake and get a couple bad rolls, all of a sudden you're at risk of losing one or two party members.

It's also shaping up to be a pretty long game, addictive and grindy. Worth the purchase. There are going to be extensive mods for this game.

I have this on my wishlist, waiting for a deep discount to buy it. Art style and psychological elements seem very cool.

A couple hours in and the game seems awesome. Had my first wipe already. The mechanics seem pretty deep, but the game is pretty lacking in explaining aspects of them. It's not readily apparent which spells can't be cast from which position or which skills affect which enemies. Or at least it's not immediately apparent to me. Am I missing something?

A couple hours in and the game seems awesome. Had my first wipe already. The mechanics seem pretty deep, but the game is pretty lacking in explaining aspects of them. It's not readily apparent which spells can't be cast from which position or which skills affect which enemies. Or at least it's not immediately apparent to me. Am I missing something?

When you cursor over a skill, it will show white and/or red dots. The white ones are the rows the skill is usable from, and the red ones are the enemy rows the skill can target.

Skills aren't specialized very much towards particular kinds of enemies. The Occultist has some extra damage against Eldritch, the Hound Master has some against Beasts, and the Crusader and Vestal have some against Unholy/undead. Probably someone has extra damage versus Humans too? Or maybe only items can boost that.

But one thing you should look out for is when you're in battle, cursor over an enemy and it will show you what it resists. Most undead enemies won't bleed. Some will almost never get poisoned. etc.

I need to play more of this. Played about 10 hours when it was first in early access, but I hear it's pretty substantially different now.

I finally started playing this and can confirm that it is an absolute gem.
It is personal GOTY material for me, gotta put the hours into it before I decide where it ranks though.

Waiting for the PS4 release. Looking forward to it.

I got about 50 hours into it. It's good, like crack for white kids.

Back