Darkest Dungeon

I'll take a vestal with either (58% healing -10% max hp +10% stress damage) or (63% healing +30% stress damage -30% stuns) over any other healing class at champion tier and above.

My A team which cleared all 6 champion boss fights and the first of the Darkest Dungeons Had a heal on every character.
Vestal (single heal 12 w/ crit 28, partyheal 7 w/ crit 12) Houndmaster (heal +10 w/ crit 20 lvl 6)
Crusader (single heal 6 w/ crit 10, stress heal 11 w/ crit 15)
Plague Doctor (battle field medicine 2-3 heal removes blights/bleeds from target and plague doctor. Two cures one cast. On the highest level dungeons blight hits for 8 a turn and some bleeds for 6.

Spoiler about the Darkest Dungeon play through. Just about one of the monsters in the 2nd dungeon and what to expect unless you want to die.

So I cleared the first dungeon my Vestal, Plague Doctor, Houndmaster, and Crusader flew through it. There is no scouting the Darkest Dungeon. You are blind from room to room and there is no warning when you get to the bosses room. It's a typical sized medium dungeon so a little intuition should give you a camping spot 1 or 2 rooms prior to the boss battle.

That said once you clear a darkest dungeon the champions that cleared it may not enter another darkest dungeon ever. So yes you need 3 different lvl 6 squads without a failure to beat all three dungeons.

No sweat I had a second group of the same classes ready to hit the 2nd dungeon. Problem with the second dungeon is there's a trinket gained from the first that protects from a spell called Revelation. Giant Crab People cast this spell in the second dungeon, with the trinket equipped the spell does 5 damage and 8 stress. For the sole person in your group without this trinket, since you only have 3 total it does 25 damage and 40 stress damage. My vestal got rocked and died on the second cast from it on the second deaths door.

Lost my houndmaster evacuating I have another 6 vestal, my crusader, plague doctor, and might bring a grave robber I might drop the crusader grab a Man at Arms for gaurd and bring a jester instead of a houndmaster since my next highest one is a three should of dropped black jack and grabbed gaurd.

Crab people go where they please, hard to stun and can revelation any Row so MAA or hounds guards will be needed.

All in All loving the difficulty of the game even if its rnjesus

One thing that does start to get frustrating is the lack of knowledge of the bosses you fight. So you go in there and find out you have a completely ineffective party for whatever variables the boss fight presents. So you have no choice but to run away and build a ton of stress.

But holy crap it took me, like, 24 weeks to find out that the graverobber can cure diseases when you camp. Legit money saver.

One thing that does start to get frustrating is the lack of knowledge of the bosses you fight. So you go in there and find out you have a completely ineffective party for whatever variables the boss fight presents. So you have no choice but to run away and build a ton of stress.

But holy crap it took me, like, 24 weeks to find out that the graverobber can cure diseases when you camp. Legit money saver.
I think in this day and age of gaming that is just a decision you make.
Every game has a wiki now, so do you explore or research?
I just recently decided so start reading what each curio does for example. I enjoyed playing blind for awhile but figured I had put my time in.

The same thought process is true for nearly any game now.

I think in this day and age of gaming that is just a decision you make.
Every game has a wiki now, so do you explore or research?
I just recently decided so start reading what each curio does for example. I enjoyed playing blind for awhile but figured I had put my time in.

The same thought process is true for nearly any game now.

Yeah, but Id rather not read about it to play it. But Im sort of on the same boat as you, I feel like Ive done this stuff enough times, I should oughtta have an idea what they do by now.

I don't really feel like I go into other games against a boss or whatnot and just have a playstyle thats completely negated by the game mechanics. I think if you do have gameplay like that then some sort of mechanic should be in place to gain some kind of insight instead of being forced to play it twice. Maybe have some sort of ancient grimoires or something similar to give at least some kind of info so you have something to plan for. Like I said earlier, I feel like they just went a tad overboard on the difficulty factor so at times it feels less challenging and more just shit out of luck.

Just for example my most recent boss fight against whatever the dude is with the pews in front of him. You literally have no idea what the pews are for. Do they block the boss, absorb damage, do something...anything? It's only because I read the wiki that I know every pew you destroy gives you a gold bonus, which you literally couldn't know, which is aggravating because they're just sitting there and you have no idea what to do with them. Some boss fights want you to avoid certain targets so you don't know if the pews are to be avoided or destroyed....until the fight is over.

Last edited:
I played a ton in beta and stopped right before they started adding characters and new mechanics. It's a lot harder now and I don't find stuff like doing dark runs worth it anymore.

I had a save file at 72 weeks, but recently restarted because I was unhappy with how many people had died while I was adjusting to the new difficulty. I hate how the corpse mechanic and boss formations have made some characters and formations crappy.

I had a save file at 72 weeks, but recently restarted because I was unhappy with how many people had died while I was adjusting to the new difficulty. I hate how the corpse mechanic and boss formations have made some characters and formations crappy.

You can disable the corpse mechanic bro! While in game, options>gameplay.

I never played the beta but the corpses don't bother me. Just bring corpse removing skills.

You can disable the corpse mechanic bro! While in game, options>gameplay.

Duuuude thanks! I've never really looked through the options for some reason. Gonna turn those off first thing next time I play. Dumb mechanic and poorly implemented imo.

I never played the beta but the corpses don't bother me. Just bring corpse removing skills.

If they want enemies to have the same skills regardless of formation they should have just designed it that way.

I don't like having to bring sub optimal corpse clearing skills, and then waste time using them while monsters beat on my party. It's a very gamey and nonsensical mechanic. Also the fact that it can take multiple hits to clear a corpse is just dumb

I've run into a brick wall again, at moderate (level 3) the fighters won't go on easier quests, so I feel stuck. I don't know if I should have done quests in the dark to get better loot, but I'm running out of money and ranked heroes.

The devs have said from the beginning that you need to play this game as the estate; not the heroes. Early game troops are the equivalent of disposable potions and scrolls in rpgs. Just recruit 4 losers, give them zero equipment and see how far they can get and what they can loot on basic dungeons. If you have to pull a lone survivor who's gone insane for a few deeds and a handful of gold before completing a dungeon, so be it. Just dismiss the broken husk and recruit more for the grinder.

Once you establish your estate reasonably, then start looking for recruits with good positive traits. But you should have your infrastructure built up where you can upgrade skills and equipment while also reducing stress and locking/removing traits built up so they don't cost so much. Just don't waste any of those resources on the first 20 or 30 heroes you recruit. You can also use (abuse to some) the backer heroes to ensure you can always run cohesive units to get further in the dungeons and to guarantee optimal positive traits.

If they want enemies to have the same skills regardless of formation they should have just designed it that way.

I don't like having to bring sub optimal corpse clearing skills, and then waste time using them while monsters beat on my party. It's a very gamey and nonsensical mechanic. Also the fact that it can take multiple hits to clear a corpse is just dumb

I would be fine with the corpses otherwise, but it sucks that when your hero dies, it doesn't stay as a corpse to the enemies. So its not just harsh, but simply unfair imo. Should work either way

The great Marbozir is streaming it right now on twitch... first time i've seen/heard if it.

The great Marbozir is streaming it right now on twitch... first time i've seen/heard if it.

It has a very cool atmosphere, very unique. And it's great for masochists that like rng based systems.

Spoiler about the Darkest Dungeon play through. Just about one of the monsters in the 2nd dungeon and what to expect unless you want to die.

So I cleared the first dungeon my Vestal, Plague Doctor, Houndmaster, and Crusader flew through it. There is no scouting the Darkest Dungeon. You are blind from room to room and there is no warning when you get to the bosses room. It's a typical sized medium dungeon so a little intuition should give you a camping spot 1 or 2 rooms prior to the boss battle.

That said once you clear a darkest dungeon the champions that cleared it may not enter another darkest dungeon ever. So yes you need 3 different lvl 6 squads without a failure to beat all three dungeons.

No sweat I had a second group of the same classes ready to hit the 2nd dungeon. Problem with the second dungeon is there's a trinket gained from the first that protects from a spell called Revelation. Giant Crab People cast this spell in the second dungeon, with the trinket equipped the spell does 5 damage and 8 stress. For the sole person in your group without this trinket, since you only have 3 total it does 25 damage and 40 stress damage. My vestal got rocked and died on the second cast from it on the second deaths door.

Lost my houndmaster evacuating I have another 6 vestal, my crusader, plague doctor, and might bring a grave robber I might drop the crusader grab a Man at Arms for gaurd and bring a jester instead of a houndmaster since my next highest one is a three should of dropped black jack and grabbed gaurd.

Crab people go where they please, hard to stun and can revelation any Row so MAA or hounds guards will be needed.

All in All loving the difficulty of the game even if its rnjesus

That's where I'm at in the game now. Lost 2 heroes beating the first DD level, and 3 party members attempting the second DD, now grinding to raise an army that can finish the game. My approach to the bosses you mentioned is going to be stacking bleed while debuffing their damage. Hope nothing goes wrong cause it's taking a while to level up.

I've run into a brick wall again, at moderate (level 3) the fighters won't go on easier quests, so I feel stuck. I don't know if I should have done quests in the dark to get better loot, but I'm running out of money and ranked heroes.

You mean you don't have anybody who can do level 1 missions right? I'm pretty sure all you can do is send your level 3s on missions with whatever you can afford, and try to make small profits until you can provision them better. And if they die then you've got more roster space for level 1s.

Had a rage moment yesterday where my group was almost down to 50%hp and i was first considering to camp but then i decided to save it for later because i was still capable of beating normal mobs anyways. I go to the next room BOOM Swinelord appears and murders my party.

Just found out about this game and man, its good but hard.

No matter how hard you try to keep people alive, you need to take a few losses, the whole high level heroes cant go to low level dungeons is genius, i have almost all heroes on level 5 and they get destroyed because i still can finish upgrading the blacksmith.

Im starting to lose a few which makes room for lowbies to run without supplies.

Anybody pick up the expansion? I got it, but havent played it yet since I read about a bunch of balancing issues.

Back