Daniel Cormier is totally right to take the title back.

Anyone who knows the pay-scheme within the UFC knows that Daniel would take a ridiculous pay-cut if he gave up the belt. Yes, he and everyone else knows that he's not better than Jones, but what do you expect him to do?

He and everybody except Jones, who was afraid to fight him clean.

rNOBVSI.jpg

UGIsEvJ.jpg

I'm not necessarily on DC's side with his reinstatement, but some of the responses have been ridiculous.

Let's get this clear, he's a paper champion.

He's a great fighter and in my opinion he's easily the second best fighter in the weight class. He's even a whole lot more legitimate than some champions, Michael Bisping for one. He's taken on all comers and has been very successful at two weight classes. He's a great guy and one of the best fighters of all-time, but even with that said he's a paper champion.

He simply never defeated Jon Jones, he had two chances and he lost twice. Jones didn't fail a test the first time around, but he's failed two tests in the build-up for fights against Cormier. If anything, that makes the fights void, it doesn't make them Cormier victories.

Minus the victories over Daniel, Jones still has the better resume. He's simply the better fighter.

Cheating is cheating. Daniel Cormier clearly missed weight against Anthony Johnson the second go-around. If DC cannot make the weight he would have been stripped of the title, and he really should have been.

Now - back to my original point.

Anyone who knows the pay-scheme within the UFC knows that Daniel would take a ridiculous pay-cut if he gave up the belt. Yes, he and everyone else knows that he's not better than Jones, but what do you expect him to do?

People are asking for him to give the belt up and have a 8 man tournament, or fight Alex or Volkan for it straight up, one on one, winner takes all. A good businessman would NEVER do such a thing, they'd be a total idiot!

Anyone who is calling him a pussy here is wrong, we would all do the same thing. That said, he isn't really a champion to me, and if he ever wants to be one he's going to need to go back to Heavyweight. That Light Heavyweight division is an awful, shallow division. Beating Manuwa, Oezdemir and Gustafsson will not be enough to legitimize him, they simply aren't good enough.

Hope these muddy waters clear themselves up soon.

Didnt even read, but from what i skimmed through i can tell you're very upset that Jon Jones (who is a career PED user) got caught and will hopefully get 4 years. You comparing JJ to Daniel isn't even a real comparison. One is a clean athlete and one is not.

Not a paper champ. Jones is an illegitimate fighter.

It's like Ronnie Coleman competing in a natural bodybuilding contest and beating the natural guy who would have won. Jones doesn't count anymore.

DC missed weight by like 2 lbs. Those 2 lbs never won him the fight V Anthony Johnson, I can guarantee that.

It's never about the two pounds, though; it's about what he would have had to do to his body to actually make the weight. Two pounds may not matter much, but further draining your body to an almost certainly harmful degree could matter quite a bit.

Maybe he shouldn't, but...
<DCrying>
...he does.
He was probably more concerned about what he was going to tell his family after waking up from a concussion, not what a bunch of random people he'll never meet think.

He was probably more concerned about what he was going to tell his family after waking up from a concussion, not what a bunch of random people he'll never meet think.

My point is that winning the title legitimately is a huge deal to him. DC truly believed with all his heart that he could beat Jones - and if he could beat Jones, that means he's not a paper champion, but the real one.

If DC is a "paper champ," that means he was just in the right place at the right time, and he doesn't actually have the ability to be the true champion. It's obvious that's hard for him to accept, and that's why I say he cares whether or not people think he's the paper champ.

Damn right he should accept the belt back.

I'm not necessarily on DC's side with his reinstatement, but some of the responses have been ridiculous.

Let's get this clear, he's a paper champion.

He's a great fighter and in my opinion he's easily the second best fighter in the weight class. He's even a whole lot more legitimate than some champions, Michael Bisping for one. He's taken on all comers and has been very successful at two weight classes. He's a great guy and one of the best fighters of all-time, but even with that said he's a paper champion.

He simply never defeated Jon Jones, he had two chances and he lost twice. Jones didn't fail a test the first time around, but he's failed two tests in the build-up for fights against Cormier. If anything, that makes the fights void, it doesn't make them Cormier victories.

Minus the victories over Daniel, Jones still has the better resume. He's simply the better fighter.

Cheating is cheating. Daniel Cormier clearly missed weight against Anthony Johnson the second go-around. If DC cannot make the weight he would have been stripped of the title, and he really should have been.

Now - back to my original point.

People are asking for him to give the belt up and have a 8 man tournament, or fight Alex or Volkan for it straight up, one on one, winner takes all. A good businessman would NEVER do such a thing, they'd be a total idiot!

Anyone who is calling him a pussy here is wrong, we would all do the same thing. That said, he isn't really a champion to me, and if he ever wants to be one he's going to need to go back to Heavyweight. That Light Heavyweight division is an awful, shallow division. Beating Manuwa, Oezdemir and Gustafsson will not be enough to legitimize him, they simply aren't good enough.

Hope these muddy waters clear themselves up soon.
I would love to see Oezdemir and Gus fight for the right to fight Cormier and have Daniel re-earn it one more time.Btw, it's official- this Oezdemir dude is for real and unfortunately this IS NOT Dc' s fault so let's do this again
. His first fight with Jones was a competitive fight for what it's worth.Its really one of the most unfair positions that Cormier has been put in but the show must go on.

It's like losing to the juiced up GOAT is something to be ashamed of. He was competitive in both of those fights and gave a good account of himself despite everything. And beyond that, he beat all the other top guys at LHW.

its the rules you goof

some people should be vetted from starting threads

He isn't wrong to accept the championship back, but he's still a paper champ and always will be. Jones would have beat him, PED's or not. It's obvious. That head kick would have finished him regardless.

Also, never forget #TowelGate.

What would be funny is, if the UFC thinks fuck it lets do Miocic vs DC instead of Jones.

He took the title back because he gets 1 million dollars a fight with the belt, and not that much without the belt. With the fight being an NC, it would have been criminal for the UFC to affect his earning potential with a voided result.

It's not a sports decision, it's a business one from both parties.

Dude doesn't, and shouldn't give a fuck about anyone who calls him a paper champion.
He's a 38 year old man two years from retirement, get your money DC.

Except disagree with him not being a champion

your opinion on that matter is largely irrelevant
This, this, and this some more. Why shouldn't he take it back? This is his career, and it's a smart fiscal move. It's not like his next fight is not going to be for the title. Why not capitalize as much as he can, while he still has the opportunity. I'll never understand the DC haters.

Last edited:
He isn't wrong to accept the championship back, but he's still a paper champ and always will be. Jones would have beat him, PED's or not. It's obvious. That head kick would have finished him regardless.

Also, never forget #TowelGate.

Would Jones have been able to stop DC's takedown attempts before the head kick landed without being 'enhanced'? We don't know. What we do know is that there's a reason athletes go to incredible lengths to use PEDs without getting caught.

If using steroids doesn't give fighters a significant advantage why would so many of them still be juicing knowing how strict the testing has become and the potential negative impact getting caught would have to their career? Why would Jones risk what just happened to him (legacy utterly ruined, career completely destroyed) if he himself didn't feel steroids gave him a massive advantage?

So no, it's not obvious at all that Jones would've beat Comier with or without steroids. And the number one reason it's not is because it wasn't even obvious to Jones himself. If he knew he could beat Cormier clean he wouldn't have taken the risks he did to cheat.

Would Jones have been able to stop DC's takedown attempts before the head kick landed without being 'enhanced'? We don't know. What we do know is that there's a reason athletes go to incredible lengths to use PEDs without getting caught.

If using steroids doesn't give fighters a significant advantage why would so many of them still be juicing knowing how strict the testing has become and the potential negative impact getting caught would have to their career? Why would Jones risk what just happened to him (legacy utterly ruined, career completely destroyed) if he himself didn't feel steroids gave him a massive advantage?

So no, it's not obvious at all that Jones would've beat Comier with or without steroids. And the number one reason it's not is because it wasn't even obvious to Jones himself. If he knew he could beat Cormier clean he wouldn't have taken the risks he did to cheat.

Whether Jones was confident he could or not has no bearing on whether any of us can reasonably conclude on our own.

The effect of steroids is often exaggerated, as plenty of people on the juice lose the fights they're in and even get out-powered by their juiced up opponents.

Whether Jones was confident he could or not has no bearing on whether any of us can reasonably conclude on our own.

The effect of steroids is often exaggerated, as plenty of people on the juice lose the fights they're in and even get out-powered by their juiced up opponents.
They can't accept the fact DC is always bridesmaid

And you're underestimating the effect steroids have on an athlete. Look at cases where athletes have been caught and then returned to the sport clean. They weren't the same. What you're insisting is obvious is your own personal opinion, nothing more. And it's an opinion that even Jones himself disagrees with as evidenced by his actions.

My opinion is that DC would've manhandled Jones just like he's done to virtually everyone else he's fought if Jones had been clean throughout his career. Still, I'd never go so far as to insist that my opinion is obvious even though there's a significant amount of evidence supporting it. If what you're saying truly was obvious, no one would disagree with you. But they do.

The fact of the matter is no one knows what would've happened if Jones had been clean. And another fact is that Jones himself felt he needed to cheat to ensure victory. If it wasn't obvious to Jones himself, you can't argue that it is.

Back