Daniel Cormier is totally right to take the title back.

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily on DC's side with his reinstatement, but some of the responses have been ridiculous.

Let's get this clear, he's a paper champion.

He's a great fighter and in my opinion he's easily the second best fighter in the weight class. He's even a whole lot more legitimate than some champions, Michael Bisping for one. He's taken on all comers and has been very successful at two weight classes. He's a great guy and one of the best fighters of all-time, but even with that said he's a paper champion.

He simply never defeated Jon Jones, he had two chances and he lost twice. Jones didn't fail a test the first time around, but he's failed two tests in the build-up for fights against Cormier. If anything, that makes the fights void, it doesn't make them Cormier victories.

Minus the victories over Daniel, Jones still has the better resume. He's simply the better fighter.

Cheating is cheating. Daniel Cormier clearly missed weight against Anthony Johnson the second go-around. If DC cannot make the weight he would have been stripped of the title, and he really should have been.

Now - back to my original point.

Anyone who knows the pay-scheme within the UFC knows that Daniel would take a ridiculous pay-cut if he gave up the belt. Yes, he and everyone else knows that he's not better than Jones, but what do you expect him to do?

People are asking for him to give the belt up and have a 8 man tournament, or fight Alex or Volkan for it straight up, one on one, winner takes all. A good businessman would NEVER do such a thing, they'd be a total idiot!

Anyone who is calling him a pussy here is wrong, we would all do the same thing. That said, he isn't really a champion to me, and if he ever wants to be one he's going to need to go back to Heavyweight. That Light Heavyweight division is an awful, shallow division. Beating Manuwa, Oezdemir and Gustafsson will not be enough to legitimize him, they simply aren't good enough.

Hope these muddy waters clear themselves up soon.

He shouldn't give up the belt for the mere fact that he was KO'd by a guy who cheated. As far as the rules are concerned he may as well have been KO'd by Jones using a stun gun or Jones hitting him with a chair shot to the head while the ref wasn't looking. Any talk of him giving up the belt is crazy talk.

Missing weight once does not equal a life time of steroid abuse. Like a new kid Jones is gonna steam roll Shogun without his tbol...

I don't even think it should even be a debate. His main opponent got popped twice. He is the rightful true Champion there is no ifs or buts about it.

DC didn't take the title back, the fight was a NC so he never lost it.

The custom and "rules" regarding lineal titles and "real vs. paper" champions gets a little funny and controversial when fighters retire, get suspended, get DQed over cheating, etc...

To my way of thinking, DC is the champ, with no qualifiers needed. He's the best fighter out of the available and valid pool of LHW fighters, who has also defended the belt against the best valid contenders at the time.

. Jones didn't fail a test the first time around

.... for that fight ... while being in his mid 20s and in incredible shape ... he had the testosterone of an 80 year old cancer patient on non USADA testing.

What do you think would have happened if USADA tested him for that fight instead?

Hint ... same thing that happened at UFC200 and/or UFC 214.

He took the title back because he gets 1 million dollars a fight with the belt, and not that much without the belt. With the fight being an NC, it would have been criminal for the UFC to affect his earning potential with a voided result.

It's not a sports decision, it's a business one from both parties.

Dude doesn't, and shouldn't give a fuck about anyone who calls him a paper champion.
He's a 38 year old man two years from retirement, get your money DC.

Except disagree with him not being a champion

your opinion on that matter is largely irrelevant

Last edited:
Let's get this clear, he's a paper champion..

To be fair Cormier has beaten the 3rd most successful LHW of this era in Rumble twice who Jones hasn't even faced so I don't think its totally cut and dry who the best fighter in the division is even if Jones arguably has the edge on him(although muddied by PEDs now).

HVNBWD5.gif

So Jones beat Shogun because of steroids?

I guess OSP and Sonnen beat him because of roids too?

Fighters fall off.
The whole division was competitive, no one could keep hold of the belt. Sure they were aging but a lot of the fighters Jones beat were in their prime or just coming out of it, and Jones made them look amateur with he himself being much less experience. It just never made sense. Another thing that didn't make sense to me about Jones - him out grappling DC in their first fight. Look at RDA v Magny recently. The shorter thicker guy nearly always rag dolls the taller lanky fighter but Jones denied an Olympic level wrestler who is strong as shit multiple times. Makes no sense man... I'm not saying people aren't capable of great things, but considering everything else about Jones, is it too much to believe he was cheating his whole career?

DC missed weight by like 2 lbs. Those 2 lbs never won him the fight V Anthony Johnson, I can guarantee that.

I'm not necessarily on DC's side with his reinstatement, but some of the responses have been ridiculous.

Let's get this clear, he's a paper champion.

He's a great fighter and in my opinion he's easily the second best fighter in the weight class. He's even a whole lot more legitimate than some champions, Michael Bisping for one. He's taken on all comers and has been very successful at two weight classes. He's a great guy and one of the best fighters of all-time, but even with that said he's a paper champion.

He simply never defeated Jon Jones, he had two chances and he lost twice. Jones didn't fail a test the first time around, but he's failed two tests in the build-up for fights against Cormier. If anything, that makes the fights void, it doesn't make them Cormier victories.

Minus the victories over Daniel, Jones still has the better resume. He's simply the better fighter.

Cheating is cheating. Daniel Cormier clearly missed weight against Anthony Johnson the second go-around. If DC cannot make the weight he would have been stripped of the title, and he really should have been.

Now - back to my original point.

Anyone who knows the pay-scheme within the UFC knows that Daniel would take a ridiculous pay-cut if he gave up the belt. Yes, he and everyone else knows that he's not better than Jones, but what do you expect him to do?

People are asking for him to give the belt up and have a 8 man tournament, or fight Alex or Volkan for it straight up, one on one, winner takes all. A good businessman would NEVER do such a thing, they'd be a total idiot!

Anyone who is calling him a pussy here is wrong, we would all do the same thing. That said, he isn't really a champion to me, and if he ever wants to be one he's going to need to go back to Heavyweight. That Light Heavyweight division is an awful, shallow division. Beating Manuwa, Oezdemir and Gustafsson will not be enough to legitimize him, they simply aren't good enough.

Hope these muddy waters clear themselves up soon.

He's fine. He's the real champion. Nobody has beaten him without cheating.

If DC is paper champ, Jones' entire career is a paper career covered in asterisks.

Back