• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dana white - winner of shogun/gustaffson definitely gets title shot

I thought Machida v.s Hendo winner has the next shot...geez, DW, changes his mind/go back on his words way to fking much.

This makes sense, how can you complain? Shogun is the former champion, and has faught his way back, Gustafsson is an up coming star. It makes perfect sense.

Hendo got injured and Machida backed out, they are next in line. It's just perfect matchmaking in my opinion.

Jones fights Sonnen in april. Thats still a long ass time til then. A lot of shit can happen.

Common people, Dana is never definite when it comes to title shots. He just talk hype to get fans excited!

i bet if hendo lands another hbomb its gonna be him! it has to!

i bet if hendo lands another hbomb its gonna be him! it has to!

You think he can land a Hbomb on Machida? Maybe if Lyoto has Roy Nelson strapped to his back the entire fight, Hendo might land it.

so Henderson goes on a streak with his last 2 wins being Fedor and Shogun, but uncle Dana says a guy who's on a 2 fight win streak (if he wins) deserves the shot more??

The way I would see this running is have Shogun fight Rashad or something if he wins and give the shot to the winner of Henderson/Machida.

Sticking Jones on tuf was a crappy idea, now they have 5-6 top LHW fighter just sitting around being scared to fight one another in case they lose their precious imaginary title shot that dana told them they can have.

I like when people quote Dana as if he's never gone back on what he's said to the media. The guy does what does the best business sense at the time regardless of what he's said.

The way I see this is

1. Dana trying to hype this FOX card.

2. Dana still mad at Henderson and Machida.

Who Knows how long they will have to wait since Jones is fighting in April, the next title fight might not be until August or September

Once again, in the lead-up to a major mixed martial arts (MMA) event on FOX, White raised the stakes for certain fighters on the card at Thursday's UFC on FOX 5: "Henderson vs. Diaz" pre-fight press conference, promising a light heavyweight title shot to the winner of the night's co-main event between Mauricio Rua and Alexander Gustafsson.

"Look at the fights that Shogun has had -- his past two or three fights," White said. "This is definitely, there is no doubt about, he [Mauricio Rua] is the gatekeeper to that title. If Alexander can beat Shogun, he'd get the shot. If Shogun wins, he gets it. Unless some crazy shit happens
Knowing Dana some crazy shit will propably happen.

The sooner Bones can fight The Mauler the better. It's actually in his own best interest to do so. Let's say Alex wins against Shogun today (he's the favorite after all) and he actually does get this title shot with Bones still being the champ (after beating Chael, which he'll be the favorite to do). By Alex getting a title shot he'll be able to fight Bones (again, assuming he's still champ) and won't have even more time to noticeably improve and develop before they finally square off. Bones is always improving too but with Alex the improvement is VERY noticeable each time out that he fights. Based on the sparring footage and padwork I saw the other day I can tell he's improved noticeably over the last 8 months; looks much more complete now than ever and has great kicks. Alex is improving at an exponential rate and the sooner Bones does get to fight him the better his chances will be at actually beating him (though Bones will certainly still be the favorite regardless).

The longer time goes by the better Alex will be, it's basically guaranteed. Alex trains like a maniac, extremely hard too, and as Rogan said, he's "obsessed with getting the LHW belt". Alex will just keep getting more and more dangerous, experienced, and well-rounded as time goes on. I don't see Shogun improving exponentially before fighting Bones again so this concept doesn't really apply to him, at least not nearly to the same degree considering Shogun has been doing this shit for a decade while Alex is still pretty new to full-time MMA training.

Back