News Dana White threatened to leave the UFC to save Joe Rogan’s job as commentator

Dana's words mean nothing... but the other gentleman said he heard it himself...

And I would believe Joe Rogan

But the only way Rogan could possibly know this is if Ari told him 'look, I was going to fire you but Dana threatened to quit, so I didn't.' Is that conversation likely to have happened?

If Rogan has confirmed this story somewhere and gives details why he believes it beyond Dana just telling him it happened, then it becomes more plausible.

But it's likely bullshit. It's plausible that Dana went into bat for Rogan, but I would wager threatening to outright quit is one of Dana's lies.

And look what happened when Dana said no. Nothing! Joe kept his job. Nobody lost any sleep. Nobody even remembers it. The world keeps turning.

This is how you deal with cancel culture people. Nothing bad is going to happen if you tell them to get bent. Let them call you the magic "r" word. Who cares?

But the only way Rogan could possibly know this is if Ari told him 'look, I was going to fire you but Dana threatened to quit, so I didn't.' Is that conversation likely to have happened?

If Rogan has confirmed this story somewhere and gives details why he believes it beyond Dana just telling him it happened, then it becomes more plausible.

But it's likely bullshit. It's plausible that Dana went into bat for Rogan, but I would wager threatening to outright quit is one of Dana's lies.

Knowing psychopaths, I would have to agree with you.

No way Dana was going to quit for Rogan's sake. Psychopaths don't sacrifice themselves for others. Not unless it was part of a bigger scene.

Dana also doesn't have anyone riding with him for life. He promised Liddell and Hughes lifetime jobs and security, and fired them. Hughes went to park on the train tracks, and Liddell went into serious addiction... and is still looking for a fight.

You mean something to Dana for as long as he has something to gain from you.

IMO, their reputations and contributions earned them cushy jobs to keep them out of trouble. WME has no respect for legends of the sport, and saying that Matt and Chuck needed to prove their worth is being a huge bootlicker.
Go start a business and pay people to not contribute. See how long that lasts

When Vince McMahon tried to steal Mike Goldberg from the UFC for $100k, back when the UFC was still in the red, Goldberg turned him down and stayed loyal to the UFC.

Goldberg, who had been with the UFC since 1997 before Zuffa ever bought the company.

Dana can spare me with the "I'm loyal" shtick.

Been there, done that, didn't go out business because of it. Keep licking those Hollywood corporate boots!
You managed a profitable business where you specifically hired employees that didn't contribute? Doing what, selling drugs? Dropshipping at exorbitant margins?
I think there should be a fighter pension fund that has a structured system like any other pension plan determined by number of fights/tenure/etc.
Expecting any company to keep office employees who got a no show job because the UFC does not have a pension plan is mental.

You managed a profitable business where you specifically hired employees that didn't contribute? Doing what, selling drugs? Dropshipping at exorbitant margins?
I think there should be a fighter pension fund that has a structured system like any other pension plan determined by number of fights/tenure/etc.
Expecting any company to keep office employees who got a no show job because the UFC does not have a pension plan is mental.

Most of them were "legacy positions" for retiring founders, consultants, etc. A few were to keep useful people on board so they wouldn't help competition. If I had people who helped my business to the degree that Chuck and Matt did, I'd keep them on in cushy retirement jobs to keep them out of trouble.

Back