Dana White on Conor McGregor: "No one guy can hold the whole sport hostage."

Even if Dana does strip McGregor of the title, you know he’ll go on Twitter and Instagram with the belt screaming that he is the real champion and the “fake champ” should beg for a real title shot and all that shit.

And Dana will grant him an immediate shot against Ferguson/Nurmagomedov and twist this like the MMA equivalence of Michaels/Ramon (old WWF reference).

That would only be logical.

And seeing as how were discussing Dana Fucking White on Sherdog, clearly logic is of no use here.

I wonder what are the lengths of time people were given before being stripped for being inactive?

Would be interesting to compare.

they're in negotiations, would be wise to take dana with a grain of salt at the moment.

It’s looking more and more likely that the UFC will strip Conor McGregor of the lightweight title.

Yesterday, head promoter Dana White announced a blockbuster lightweight bout between Tony Ferguson (interim champ) and top contender Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223 on April 7, with no mention of whether it would be for the interim or official title.

While White didn’t confirm Ferguson-Nurmagomedov as a championship bout, the UFC president hinted that he is getting ready to strip ‘The Notorious’ of the belt.

“He can’t hold up the title, can’t hold up the whole division,” White said on the Toucher and Rich radio show (transcribed by Ryan Harkness for Uproxx). “There’s a lot of guys that I have to deal with every day that aren’t worth the aggravation. This kid is worth the aggravation and I have so much respect for him, what he’s accomplished, what he’s done. If he wants to ride off into the sunset with his money for the rest of his life, I don’t blame him. And if he wants to come back and fight, we’ll get him back in. He just can’t hold the division hostage.”

“You take the belt,” he replied. “In any sport, the NBA, the NFL, hockey, whatever it may be. No one guy can hold the whole sport hostage. It just doesn’t happen. When Conor was getting ready for this Mayweather fight, I was already making plans for Conor to never come back. The company and the business goes on, and there will be other stars. The NBA didn’t roll it up and pack it up when Jordan left. And they won’t when LeBron goes either. The list goes on and on.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/1/...te-conor-mcgregor-champion-fight-llightweight

I think they strip Conor on Saturday and promote Khabib/Tony to the real championship fight.

95eed4a9467863a808c46f9daf0d4628494da641f9106f0f44e60a016419dd20.jpg

Just a reminder that Dana was adamantly against UFC champions moving up or down and taking on other UFC champions until Conor wanted to.

Dana was adamantly against a lot of things until he saw dollar signs and made one of his famous U-turns

Ironic since Dana White has held the sport hostage for over a decade.

Don't think that's entirely fair. I mean I'm never the guy's biggest fan, but I still recognize that for all of his flaws he also did a hell of a lot for the sport too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dana lied to Ferg and Kebab that they would be fighting for the real belt.

He is too young to retire, the man is 29. But the UFC created this nightmare letting the Floyd fight happen.

Then STFU and strip him

or how about you didn't let him go to boxing and fight Floyd but then you couldn't make easy $

Come on Dana, you created the mess. Now clean it.

It’s looking more and more likely that the UFC will strip Conor McGregor of the lightweight title.

Yesterday, head promoter Dana White announced a blockbuster lightweight bout between Tony Ferguson (interim champ) and top contender Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223 on April 7, with no mention of whether it would be for the interim or official title.

While White didn’t confirm Ferguson-Nurmagomedov as a championship bout, the UFC president hinted that he is getting ready to strip ‘The Notorious’ of the belt.

“He can’t hold up the title, can’t hold up the whole division,” White said on the Toucher and Rich radio show (transcribed by Ryan Harkness for Uproxx). “There’s a lot of guys that I have to deal with every day that aren’t worth the aggravation. This kid is worth the aggravation and I have so much respect for him, what he’s accomplished, what he’s done. If he wants to ride off into the sunset with his money for the rest of his life, I don’t blame him. And if he wants to come back and fight, we’ll get him back in. He just can’t hold the division hostage.”

“You take the belt,” he replied. “In any sport, the NBA, the NFL, hockey, whatever it may be. No one guy can hold the whole sport hostage. It just doesn’t happen. When Conor was getting ready for this Mayweather fight, I was already making plans for Conor to never come back. The company and the business goes on, and there will be other stars. The NBA didn’t roll it up and pack it up when Jordan left. And they won’t when LeBron goes either. The list goes on and on.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/1/...te-conor-mcgregor-champion-fight-llightweight

I think they strip Conor on Saturday and promote Khabib/Tony to the real championship fight.

shakes head .. likening Conor to Jordan and Lebron ... WAKE THE F UP! GIMME A EFFIN BREAK!

Even if Dana does strip McGregor of the title, you know he’ll go on Twitter and Instagram with the belt screaming that he is the real champion and the “fake champ” should beg for a real title shot and all that shit.

And Dana will grant him an immediate shot against Ferguson/Nurmagomedov and twist this like the MMA equivalence of Michaels/Ramon (old WWF reference).
yup. He's already said that WHENEVER Conor returns, he gets an immediate title shot.

He is too young to retire, the man is 29. But the UFC created this nightmare letting the Floyd fight happen.
Retirement isn't about age. There are 30 and 40 year olds who have retired because they can. If youre financially secure and independent for the rest of your life, why wouldn't you retire? It's at least a viable option.

That being said, I don't think Conor is done with MMA yet. I think he's got a year or two left.

Hmmmmm, wait a minute. Wasn't Dana screaming at everyone through the Floyd press tour and after the fight that Conor would be back by the end of the year. Now he's saying he was already making plans for Conor not returning. Dana's getting very transparent in his lying. He used to be better than this.

I've been kind of out of touch with UFC lately, but surely they must have some kind of rule about this type of thing? Like if the champ doesn't fight within 12 months he gets stripped of the title?

Otherwise it seems like you're just arbitrarily protecting the guys you like and immediately stripping titles from guys you don't.

I think the later is exactly how the UFC is run unfortunately. I would really relish a more even handed policy based approach that added legitimacy to the sport as a whole. I think the desire to create stars and big names has really derailed the whole sport.

The focus ought to be about fighters, styles, match ups, and rankings. Let stars naturally arise but dont make the whole sport about them.

Retirement isn't about age. There are 30 and 40 year olds who have retired because they can. If youre financially secure and independent for the rest of your life, why wouldn't you retire? It's at least a viable option.

That being said, I don't think Conor is done with MMA yet. I think he's got a year or two left.

Tell me what boxer or MMA fighter EVER retired and stayed away? Rocky Marciano is one that comes to mind in boxing. But 99.99% Nope... Even GSP with all his wealth did not stay away. Conor is not just about the money, he is about the attention and the thrill of it all. He will never get more attention than when he is in the ring or cage. He needs it. Don't fool yourself..

Dana White is and always has been a bold faced liar. Amazing how so many smart guys and gals on this and other forums swallowed his BS despite his track record of re-writing history, favoritism, bias, ignorance, homophobia, thinly veilled racism and flat out self promotion. Like Trump and others, Money can't buy class, ethics, morals or character.

Back