Dads-- I need help. Anybody with product knowledge of playground sets?

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Four year old girl. Would like to keep it under $1000, but I'm eyeballing up to $1500 sets.

Normally, I rely on the incredible wisdom of Amazon bestseller lists; thousands of hours of crowd-sourced research and consumer feedback:
They aren't being quite as helpful, here, because not nearly as many units move. It's almost all parts for the Top 100 (ex. a swing), and these parts aren't specific to a playground set, so it's not like they indicate which sets are selling best overall.

I like the look of these "Swing-and-Slide" sets. They look like they're better built, and the fact that they have a core build idea with different variations strikes me as being made by people who putting a bit more thought into design:
Swing-N-Slide Grandview Twist Play Set with Two Slides, Two Swings, Monkey Bars, Glider and Climbing Wall

B1r8fenJWbS._SL1500_.jpg

This "Backyard Discovery" set also looks nice:

Any wisdom here? Are there brands known for good work?

Build her a tree house like a real man!

I think you should hire an expert, then you'll have someone tangible to blame beside yourself and, boy, does that take a load off.

When I was a boy all we had was an empty oil drum and some rope and old bicycle wheels to play with

An entire playground for one kid? Man people spoil their kids these days.

You need an out-of-the-box architect to design you a house made out of playground materials. The kids could play on the roof!

That one with the two slides looks really nice. Better than the $500 one :hmph

I'd hit up Craigslist and search for playground sets trying to be sold by parents who's kids that have outgrown them.

Wouldn't be surprised if you found something similar to that $1500 set, for $200.

Build her a tree house like a real man!

This is the correct answer. It's a lot more satisfying and fun. Get your kid involved by having them fetch your beer or hold stuff. That's the kind of shit they never forget.

Had the Backyard Discovery Set (or a close knockoff) for a few years. Bought it used and it held up well for the four years we had it with insane boys. It will need some attention every year, or it did in our bipolar climate. We picked it up for $200 and delivery was like a Benny Hill skit but once in place it's a quality unit.

Get her some large cardboard boxes. Kids have more fun with the boxes the stuff comes in anyway.

we had a pretty amazing playground growing up that my dad built. by four or five we'd outgrown it, and my folks bought us one of those enclosed trampolines that we put a basketball net beside. we used that well into our teens, and it still sits in my parents yard, where my daughter and nephew play every time they visit. much better investment for long term fun. my two cents.

You don't have places that specialize in playsets near you? I'd definitely buy from them as they install.

Fuck this candy ass stuff. Set up a parkour backyard course.

american-ninja-warrior-backyard-elegant-11-best-backyard-obstacle-course-images-on-pinterest-4w2-of-american-ninja-warrior-backyard-8z3.jpg

I'd hit up Craigslist and search for playground sets trying to be sold by parents who's kids that have outgrown them.

Wouldn't be surprised if you found something similar to that $1500 set, for $200.
A friend of mine got one for free. All he had to do was come take it apart and take it home. I’m sure you can find a similar one.

An entire playground for one kid? Man people spoil their kids these days.

Agreed. Send that girl to the public park so she can dig in sand littered with cat poop and occasionally find a druggie's used needle like the rest of us did.

We all turned out fine.

Craigslist lost its luster after they took away the ability to squeeZe one off

Honestly though you can make all this stuff for a couple hundred

You have to narrow down your choices between nvidia and amd.

Back