CTE and MMA.

What's the problem? They know what they signed up for.

Watch the episode of “Weediqutte” titled “Gridiron Ganja” and you’ll understand why fighters should be allowed to take CBD. Very interesting episode...
BEUcpYYdNoJ8.jpg
Liked just for the weediquette mention, not necessarily context. That show is on point.

Though for some odd reason I can never remember what its about.

Despite the increase of awareness surrounding CTE, I don't really see a large decrease in the number of people who are willing to do whatever it takes to become elite-level athletes. I think that the payoff seems to be worth the risk to many. I'm not sure about UFC level contracts, but the huge amounts of money being given to (some) NFL and NHL players must look pretty enticing.

And lots of people will have the mindset of, "Oh, that will never happen to me. I'll be careful."

I can see athletes hopefully retiring earlier if they do end up getting concussed a couple of times though. That might be a bright spot. It would be nice to be able to appreciate your vast wealth upon retirement rather than just sitting around drooling on your designer clothes.

In boxing it' about punching the other guy in the head more than he punched you in the head.

MMA is totally different becasu e there are noble and technical arts incorporated like bjj etc, also you can kick, knee and elbow your opponent instead of just punching. - I don't know exactly how this makes MMA a safe carrer or leisure activity but this was pretty much the go to argument from Dana, Rogan and many others back in the days.

To be fair their arguement was in boxing guys get knocked down are for sure concussed, get a count to recover to see if they can continue. Whereas in MMA you get knocked down a guy jumps and finishes the fight. You don't get that break then start over.

Good example would be Tim Hague this summer. Guy was badly rocked three different times. Had three separate standing eight counts and continued . Dies after the fight from a brain bleed. That doesn't happened in MMA. Not saying damage can't be severe in MMA, but there is a argument there .

With CTE being a big thing with football players it would be
interesting to see who in MMA is at the biggest risk for it since
I can count on fingers and possibly toes as to how many have
at least 30 pro fights and or have been knocked out a few times.
The reason I bring up CTE is there is the potential with then the
next 5 years that it could be tested for while living instead of dead.
You don't need to be KO'd or concussed to develop CTE. Repeated subconcussive blows cause it just the same. Tackling is subconcussive, the impact NFL linemen sustain every snap is subconcussive, sparring is a series of subconcussive blows. There's no way around the fact that fighting causes CTE. Not everyone will have the same severity or exhibit the same symptoms but the human body just wasn't designed to take shots to the head repeatedly. This myth that only KOs cause brain damage needs to end. They've found CTE in high school football and soccer players with no diagnosed concussions. Spread the word.

To be fair their arguement was in boxing guys get knocked down are for sure concussed, get a count to recover to see if they can continue. Whereas in MMA you get knocked down a guy jumps and finishes the fight. You don't get that break then start over.

Good example would be Tim Hague this summer. Guy was badly rocked three different times. Had three separate standing eight counts and continued . Dies after the fight from a brain bleed. That doesn't happened in MMA. Not saying damage can't be severe in MMA, but there is a argument there .
Very good point. I almost made that same comment in a thread where Mayweather said mma was "barbaric." I think boxing is more barbaric (brainwise) for the reasons you outlined. Once you're concussed, the fight should be over and in MMA, in most cases, it usually is over in short order after a fighter is concussed. 10 seconds to "recover" from a concussions is laughable. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my previous post, sparring is enough to cause CTE because it can be caused by repeated subconcussive blows to the head.

Watch the episode of “Weediqutte” titled “Gridiron Ganja” and you’ll understand why fighters should be allowed to take CBD. Very interesting episode...
BEUcpYYdNoJ8.jpg
Amazing/sickening that it's still on the banned list. The NFL should be fast tracking CBD research for its players because of the benefits shown in studies. At least the NFL has taken steps...BoXing/MMA/athletic commissions should be ashamed of themselves for not being all over this. It pissed me off to no end when Nate was warned for vaping CBD at the postfight press conference. From what studies have show, he was literally protecting his brain by doing so and he gets publicly reprimanded by USADA. WTF??

Obviously CTE is going to be a huge issue in MMA. But if we agree we don't give a shit, and the fighters agree that they don't give a shit, I think the government should mind it's own goddamn business.

It's not like Mark Hunt can fall back on a career in rocket surgery. The man's gotta eat!

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my previous post, sparring is enough to cause CTE because it can be caused by repeated subconcussive blows to the head.

Soccer players get it from bouncing a ball off their heads. Our brains are fragile as shit! A soft runny shit!

We should probably be wearing helmets at all times.

If any one could be at risk for CTE it would have to
be Cat Zingano do to the fact she did have a brain
scrambling encounter against Amanda Nunes at
UFC 178 where she suffered neurological issues
that were severe enough for her to require glasses.

Yeah sure i made a strawman. I lile your point.
However Tim Hauge (rip) is also a strawman in the way that there were some issued there with the regulations or something.
If we look at say Connor Floyd that match was stoped the second Connor got a bit winded.

I refuse to think that MMA isn't insane, just than hammer fist nganu dropped on a tottaly cramped up overeem.

Or freakin shin to head kicks like that job Jones put on Cormier. I really think MMA is is unsafe, so is boxing but I don' think it is credible to say MMA is safer

CTE is huge in mma..

Anyone saying that mma is safe is kidding themselves honestly..

You can knee people full force in the face ffs...

Anyone and everyone who gets punched in the head for a living is going to have some level of CTE.

If any one could be at risk for CTE it would have to
be Cat Zingano do to the fact she did have a brain
scrambling encounter against Amanda Nunes at
UFC 178 where she suffered neurological issues
that were severe enough for her to require glasses.

I don't think it required glasses, if you search for her High School pictures, she already wear glasses. The neurological issues Amanda cause her is some pituitary gland disorder. Anyway, it was and is severe.

In boxing it' about punching the other guy in the head more than he punched you in the head.

MMA is totally different becasu e there are noble and technical arts incorporated like bjj etc, also you can kick, knee and elbow your opponent instead of just punching. - I don't know exactly how this makes MMA a safe carrer or leisure activity but this was pretty much the go to argument from Dana, Rogan and many others back in the days.
Yes, elbows in the head are pretty insignificant

Every single UFC fighter has cte. It is statistically impossible with the number of blows they take to the head for them not to.

Joe Rogan summed it up pretty well and I don't have the direct quote but basically everyone in MMA has brain damage and no rule changes can fix that. The only way that changes is when medical science catches up and can reverse or repair the brain damage.

Its that simple.
Everybody in MMA has brain damage.
This guy gets it

Those heads being dribbled off the canvas while out cold.....

I would like to know the status of Diego Sanchez. Man has he took some hits over the years.
all well and fighting Mickey Gall soon...
<{CMPALM}>

Back