Couture/Toney - Is the UFC handing boxing a gift?

Dr Fong

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Randy Couture is a complete shell of his former self. The man is 47. 47, for fucks sake! His chin is completely shot and recent interviews bring into question his mental state. The man gets dropped by jabs these days. I actually feel sick watching him enter the cage.

The UFC have brought in James Toney, also a complete shell of his former self, although at the young age of 42 he is considered a fresh faced kid when compared with grandpa Couture. It appears that he has been brought into the UFC just to lose. TO LOSE. Why then would the UFC take such a huge risk?

Couture is a greco wrestler. He does not have the luxury of shooting in from 10 metres away. He is gonna have to avoid a few punches just to get in. He won't. Why wouldn't you match him up with a young freestyle wrestler, or maybe even a kickboxer like CroCop, hoping that Toney's 42 year old legs couldn't take the kicks?

We all knew that there was a great chance for this move to backfire. But seriously, this is just too easy.

The UFC had chance to use a washed up boxer for its own purposes and it does this? The logic escapes me.

A fat, old, possibly high Mayorga smashing Thomas is gonna prove boxing's superiority over MMA. Toney dropping Couture with a jab is just a really funny joke to along with it. LOL.

I do think Toney has a much better chance than most people are giving him. Couture has been getting rocked/dropped alot in his recent fights against guys who obviously don't have anywhere near the boxing skills Toney has. All Toney needs to do is land one punch. Look at what Mercer did to Sylvia with one punch, and he's more past his prime than Toney is.

I could honestly care less about this fight though, and it's clearly just happening because it will make Dana money. I'm going to be going to this event most likely, so i'm gonna see this fight live unfortunately. I'll be happy if Toney knocks him out, but other than that i'm not intrigued by this fight at all.

People have been calling Couture too old for about 7 years now, and you know what? He still keeps winning! Couture will crush Toney into powder and mix his bone dust into his chocolate milk

Couture can shoot, you realize he has done Freestyle wrestling (and in fact, shot) in his time, right?

Every shot to the dome seems to drop Randy lately.
But I have a feeling he'll keep his hands up, walk into the clinch, lightly push on toney's chest, follow him to the ground and do him like he did Sylvia for 15 minutes.

If Koscheck can TD world MT champ Daley to a win, why can't Randy TD Toney to a win?

i also think that toney has a chance but still couture will own him.

The UFC had chance to use a washed up boxer for its own purposes and it does this? The logic escapes me.

A fat, old, possibly high Mayorga smashing Thomas is gonna prove boxing's superiority over MMA. Toney dropping Couture with a jab is just a really funny joke to along with it. LOL.

Your logic escapes me.

MMA isnt a style, its a sport that includes alot of styles. One of which is boxing. A one dimensional fighter (Toney) getting a win, using his one dimension(punching), proves that he is capable of throwing a punch and KO'ing a guy. Which we already know he can do. One fight really doesnt prove anything either. I really dont see where youre going with this.

And its funny that you still dont understand the advantage a grappler has over a striker. Randy has the luxury of holding Toney down and smashing his face in, Toney has to hope he catches Couture on his way in.

PS: Couture has plenty of experience in folkstyle wrestling, hes actually pretty damn good at it.

This gift could seriously backfire considering Randy is capable of getting KTFO. Just be thankful they're not feeding Toney to Cain Velasquez.

why am i the only one who thinks toney's is going to get throttled?

seems like more and more people are leaning towards toney...the guy talks a good game but c-mon i don't really think he can beat randy in his very first mma match.

You aren't... most of the people who think it probably don't waste time even talking about this stupid fight :redface:

seems like more and more people are leaning towards toney...the guy talks a good game but c-mon i don't really think he can beat randy in his very first mma match.

You are not the only.

Ts and others who "question his mental state" by an interview have no idea what is going on.Randy will win this fight.Not by ko.Not by sub.By pushing Toney up against the cage and holding him til the opportunity for a trip take down presents itself.He will then hold him on the ground to a decision.

No gifts Doc. The UFC is giving away nothing; at least not on purpose.

The way MMA (UFC specifically) is marketed to youth.
It may be stupid but it’s everywhere.

I walk into Wal-Mart, Ultimate MMA clothing is everywhere. Multiple stands for it, all hastily made designs with skulls on them that nobody over 25 would wear unless they are borderline retarded.
I see UFC lighters at 7-Eleven.
I see a giant poster of Brock Lesnar, a steroid wrestler striking a boxing pose in the window of a video game store at the mall.
I realize that the culture of pretending instead of earning your place has overtaken America.

And then there’s this:

Round 5 - The Official UFC Collectible

UFC is sold at Toys-R-Us, for heaven’s sake.
Little kids are being indoctrinated in UFC’s dirty fighting brand of violence via the sale of dolls (action figures if you must).

I walk around in 2010 like the Geico cave man, shaking my head in disgust.....
Boxing never had anything like this in my lifetime. You had to be old enough to vote to have Boxing pitched at you through beer and cigars and shaving razors.
Immoral or not, however, all this engineered marketing stolen from the WWE playbook, its pays the light bill.

Even so, there are more boxing fans in the world than there are MMA fans by far, and the UFC has signed Toney to a 5-fight deal in hopes of snagging some of them, always hoping to grow the brand beyond it’s over-saturated, grossly overcharged fan base of 15-year olds.

Having Toney stick around for awhile while Mayorga, B.J. Flores and even “mercy-on-me” Ray Mercer keep chewing up chumps and providing another signing is a good idea for them.

They didn’t sign Toney for nothing, and if it was to prove a point, the squat, humorous old man of the middleweights (160 pound Middleweights) isn’t going to undo what Tim Sylvia gifted to Boxing even if he loses all 5 of his contracted fights, which they’ve got to know.
After all, it’s just a 40+ year old fighting under their house rules for the first time and their former two-time champ can’t claim to have suffered under like conditions in Boxing vs. MMA I.

I sure don’t share your thoughts, Doc, about Randy being a soft touch however.
He’s no more your average 47 year-old than George Foreman was an average 45 year old when he lifted the one and only heavyweight championship of the world off of Michael Moorer a few years back.
In fact, Randy is a one-of-a-kind type.

If they wanted to feed Toney a win, any one of their hillbilly haymaker tossers or amateurish strikers would have done the trick, rather than one of the most successful wrestlers even seen in the sport.

I was hoping it would be Randy because it will prove a double point about Boxing vs. MMA and Boxers versus Grapplers, but somebody like Chuck Liddell would have been effortless for Toney, whilst Couture at least poses some kind of a “shooters chance” threat, being a better grappler than Chuck ever thought of being.

And Couture is still on top too.

Fight Matrix, the deepest and by far most scientific raking system in all of MMA ranks Randy # 7 at light heavyweight, one of MMA’s most stacked places.
Fight Matrix - Mixed Martial Arts Rankings

He is a Greco wrestler but he knows how to shoot. WTF is this B.S.? He could be 55 and he'll still be able to takedown anybody that has never taken wrestling before.

as a boxing fan I really don't like this fight
as a MMA fan I hate this Fight
No one in the UFC actually thinks Toney has a chance, so why are they making this fight?

James is currently ranked #32 in the world at heavyweight in Boxing:

jesus christ i didnt realize it was that bad

ive always had a distaste for heavyweights and the heavyweight culture, because i feel like they dont work nearly as hard or have as much talent as the lower classes and get all the glory, but that makes me pity the fool. oh well. MW and under ftw.

I actually think it was a pretty fair job @ match making, IF the UFC wanted to give James a shot.

They aren't throwing either guy under the bus IMO.

That said, I sure as fuck ain't buyin' it.

thing is guys.....james toney is a complete noob on the ground. Not a couple of years of sub defence and learning to bounce up from the takedown......a complete noob.

Couture grappled Jacare to a draw. enough said. How on earth is Toney going to last 10 minutes (conservative estimate) on the ground with a sub grappler like couture without making one single mistake like leaving his arm out for an americana? how the fark is he going to stop couture passing to full mount? its jsut not going to happen.

Toney will have nothing on the mat, his only hope is to ktfo couture and quick, everybody knows this. For MMA, Toneys grappling is a far greater weakness than Coutures chin IMO.

Back