Could you build an Xbox one X beater at the same price?

My understanding is that a console with the same specs as a PC will perform better because developers will be trying to maximize that console's specific set of hardware. PC games are designed to accommodate a large swath of configurations, so if you put similarly priced parts together in two boxes the advantage should reside with the box that developers will focus on.

In terms of the raw computing power optimisation yes but in terms of putting similarly priced parts in the two machines the consoles main advantage is that given to them by superior economies of scale (they will be buying the console hardware en masse, enabling them to get cheaper prices on equivalent hardware).

Holy fucking ass hurt PC gamers itt. I don't get why some people have an alliance to one or the other. The fact is that there is a console coming out for $500 that plays games in 4K, but the "Master Race" has to try and shit on it some how, because it's not true 4k gaming.

this isnt 4k 60fps

This game is still going to be upscaled to 4K and will run at 60FPS which they are already doing on the Xbox one S.

I must be missing something here, because all I am hearing itt is that if a game is presented in 4K it's not really 4K.

Last edited:
I was going to make this thread.

Even if the answer's no, can't all Xbox games play on PC now, while the reciprocal is not the case? As such I don't think I'd buy one.

I was going to make this thread.

Even if the answer's no, can't all Xbox games play on PC now, while the reciprocal is not the case? As such I don't think I'd buy one.
No, PC and Xbox One have different libraries although you're right in that almost everything on the Xbox right now can already be played on PC.

Probably the biggest headline in gaming in the past year is that Microsoft intend to end that for first party exclusives that they develop. I think most expect them to extend this to 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives ASAP. They've already ported Windows 10 to the Xbox One, and they're pursuing cross-platform play with titles like Minecraft. They've even announced that you'll only have to purchase games once, and then be able to play that game on either the Xbox One or PC platform. They're adding more peripheral support to the Xbox One each day (from Digital TV Tuners to External Hard Drives to Bluetooth Keyboard Remote Controllers). They syncing and networking capabilities with other Windows devices like the Surface Tablets or Nokia phones is rapidly evolving.

I think it's amazing what they're doing. Basically, they're offering your a more powerful PC for $500 than if you built one yourself, specifically designed for plug n' play convenience, with the wireless controller included in the purchase by default rather than a keyboard and mouse. It is slightly more locked down than a typical Windows PC, but because of this also more secure and easier to operate.

No, PC and Xbox One have different libraries although you're right in that almost everything on the Xbox right now can already be played on PC.

Probably the biggest headline in gaming in the past year is that Microsoft intend to end that for first party exclusives that they develop. I think most expect them to extend this to 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives ASAP. They've already ported Windows 10 to the Xbox One, and they're pursuing cross-platform play with titles like Minecraft. They've even announced that you'll only have to purchase games once, and then be able to play that game on either the Xbox One or PC platform. They're adding more peripheral support to the Xbox One each day (from Digital TV Tuners to External Hard Drives to Bluetooth Keyboard Remote Controllers). They syncing and networking capabilities with other Windows devices like the Surface Tablets or Nokia phones is rapidly evolving.

I think it's amazing what they're doing. Basically, they're offering your a more powerful PC for $500 than if you built one yourself, specifically designed for plug n' play convenience, with the wireless controller included in the purchase by default rather than a keyboard and mouse. It is slightly more locked down than a typical Windows PC, but because of this also more secure and easier to operate.

Well if I can't play my Steam library on an Xbone I'll pass.

Holy fucking ass hurt PC gamers itt. I don't get why some people have an alliance to one or the other. The fact is that there is a console coming out for $500 that plays games in 4K, but the "Master Race" has to try and shit on it some how, because it's not true 4k gaming.

Actually we aren't, but its cool you consoles think that

Well if I can't play my Steam library on an Xbone I'll pass.
How do you have a Steam library? You said you don't even own a computer. You only own a phone. To quote you when confronted about this: " *shrug* ".

No, a person won't be able to play his full Steam library, not at at first, but that definitely looks like it is Microsoft's ultimate plan for the Xbox. They can't control other developers, so they're beginning with first party titles they develop themselves. Second party will surely follow. Third party is always the toughest. Sony will always be willing to shell out some billions for exclusive titles, but that won't stop all the independent developers out there from gladly jumping on board the Xbox platform, too, so long as Microsoft gets out of the way and lets them. The only reason indie developers don't have a wider console presence is because they can't afford to "buy in" to these console markets, so they have to cut revenue-sharing deals. Microsoft isn't making money of hardware sales, but this is where they want to go. I expect them to more aggressively pursue these titles.

Gematsu is nonpareil for surveying the exclusive landscape because of its incredible filters:
http://gematsu.com/exclusives/xbox-one/
  • Full Exclusive - Games released exclusively on one console.
  • Platform Exclusive - Games released exclusively on a single family of consoles.
  • Console Exclusive - Games released for a single console (or family of consoles) in addition to PC.
  • Timed Exclusives - Games exclusive to a single console (or family of consoles) for a limited time.
  • Generation Exclusive - Games that are exclusive to one console from a single generation of consoles, but also released on previous generation consoles.
  • Peripheral Exclusive - Games that are exclusive to one console (or family of consoles) that require additional peripherals. (PlayStation VR, Kinect, etc.)
  • Added Content - Games that were previously timed exclusive, but are now released on new platform with a significant amount of additional content.
  • [Import] - Games released exclusively in Japan or Asia that you can import.
  • [Pending] - Games announced for (and possibly released in) Japan or Asia that are still not confirmed for a western release.
The real sign that Microsoft has shifted fully would be if they released an official first-party keyboard and mouse as an accessory (as for certain games) on the Xbox One. For now they're still maintaining a slight separation, but it almost feels like they're doing that out of a sense of propriety to the status quo and gamer sensitivities than it is because they are hesitant about their path forward.
Why Microsoft didn’t turn Xbox One X into a Windows 10 gaming PC

No one is ass hurt about this. In fact this this is a good thing. For years many games have been held back because of the weakness of console hardware. Take Skyrim for example. While the world was large it could have been much, much larger. The cities could have been much larger, with a fuck-ton more NPCs. The whole reason it was not was because of console hardware. More power consoles mean bigger better games for everyone.

This game is still going to be upscaled to 4K and will run at 60FPS which they are already doing on the Xbox one S.

I must be missing something here, because all I am hearing itt is that if a game is presented in 4K it's not really 4K.

These are not attacks, but the facts. There is a difference in quality between native resolutions and upscaled resolutions.

How do you have a Steam library? You said you don't even own a computer. You only own a phone. To quote you when confronted about this: " *shrug* ".

No, a person won't be able to play his full Steam library, not at at first, but that definitely looks like it is Microsoft's ultimate plan for the Xbox. They can't control other developers, so they're beginning with first party titles they develop themselves. Second party will surely follow. Third party is always the toughest. Sony will always be willing to shell out some billions for exclusive titles, but that won't stop all the independent developers out there from gladly jumping on board the Xbox platform, too, so long as Microsoft gets out of the way and lets them. The only reason indie developers don't have a wider console presence is because they can't afford to "buy in" to these console markets, so they have to cut revenue-sharing deals. Microsoft isn't making money of hardware sales, but this is where they want to go. I expect them to more aggressively pursue these titles.

Gematsu is nonpareil for surveying the exclusive landscape because of its incredible filters:

The real sign that Microsoft has shifted fully would be if they released an official first-party keyboard and mouse as an accessory (as for certain games) on the Xbox One. For now they're still maintaining a slight separation, but it almost feels like they're doing that out of a sense of propriety to the status quo and gamer sensitivities than it is because they are hesitant about their path forward.

Turning the Xbox one into a PC would be bad for MS IMO. It sounds like a good idea until you alienate everyone who wants to use a controller in competitive games like COD and pretty much any FPS. Unless they can find a way to separate the KB&M players from the controllers players. Which introduces it's own issues. I think they need to do what Sony did and focus on games. Release them on PC if money is a concern to help cushion any losses (they need to be willing to accept losses). Also give dev's more freedom that's been a consistent complaint coming from any dev under MS.

We get it MS you want Halo 64 but they want to try something new so give them a chance.

I do only own a phone - now. I last had a PC in 2014. Last game I played on it was Diablo 3's expansion. As far as I know my Steam account, which I've had since I bought Halflife 2 in 2004, is still active. I've downloaded the Steam client on my computer at work to check to see that my library is still there (I don't play anything though because the computer doesn't even have a video card) and it appears that my account's ok and my library is still there.

These days I do my gaming on my PS3 and PS4, and my NES classic, which I bought due to the fact that I don't presently have a computer with which to play roms. I've been thinking about getting a PC again, hence me posting in this thread - if getting an Xbone X would be just as good as getting a PC, then I'd go that route if, as this thread implies, it's more bang for your buck. But if I couldn't play my Steam library with an Xbox then I wouldn't get one.

Turning the Xbox one into a PC would be bad for MS IMO. It sounds like a good idea until you alienate everyone who wants to use a controller in competitive games like COD and pretty much any FPS. Unless they can find a way to separate the KB&M players from the controllers players. Which introduces it's own issues. I think they need to do what Sony did and focus on games. Release them on PC if money is a concern to help cushion any losses (they need to be willing to accept losses). Also give dev's more freedom that's been a consistent complaint coming from any dev under MS.

We get it MS you want Halo 64 but they want to try something new so give them a chance.

The issue with KB&M vs Controller for online is an easy fix. All you need is an option while logging in to multi-player. If you do that, and add KB&M support to the Xbox after some time all the real competitive players will migrate.

The issue with KB&M vs Controller for online is an easy fix. All you need is an option while logging in to multi-player. If you do that, and add KB&M support to the Xbox after some time all the real competitive players will migrate.

The problem is then you split the community. Would suck for the players who get stuck with a much lower population. I assume that's what you're suggesting. Which I've thought of as well just not sure it would be a clean split some people just don't like using KB&M even if it does make you better.

The problem is then you split the community. Would suck for the players who get stuck with a much lower population. I assume that's what you're suggesting. Which I've thought of as well just not sure it would be a clean split some people just don't like using KB&M even if it does make you better.

Well those individuals would have to deal with the "lower population" or adapt.

13183549_1757367611175677_1058791624_n.jpg

lol this is what i expect

That is plainly false. If that were true, the difference between 30fps and 60fps would not be striking, as it is.

I spend maybe 200 bucks on my pc every 18 months or two years, upgrading a gpu, or cpu. My pc has been outperforming the newest consoles since I bought it in 2013, and it's not even close.

Well those individuals would have to deal with the "lower population" or adapt.

Yea but the problem is if XB1 does this and lets say it affects the controller population. What do you think is more likely. They adapt or get rid of the console and move to Playstation? It's a huge risk for MS because it could leave them with a significant portion of their fanbase leaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back