Could you build an Xbox one X beater at the same price?

That is plainly false. If that were true, the difference between 30fps and 60fps would not be striking, as it is.

I spend maybe 200 bucks on my pc every 18 months or two years, upgrading a gpu, or cpu. My pc has been outperforming the newest consoles since I bought it in 2013, and it's not even close.

I actually have a hard time seeing the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS. I can notice it a bit don't get me wrong but it is hard for me. Most recently Nioh is probably the game where I first noticed it better than ever. At some moments everything just gets really smooth and then it changes back to normal.

I actually have a hard time seeing the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS. I can notice it a bit don't get me wrong but it is hard for me. Most recently Nioh is probably the game where I first noticed it better than ever. At some moments everything just gets really smooth and then it changes back to normal.

If you played Witcher 3 smooth 60fps on pc, then went to the consoles, you would notice a HUGE difference.

i didn't notice the 30/60 difference until i started playing PC games and on a decent graphics card. suddenly 30fps felt sluggish whereas 60 was smooth as butter. i was able to aim better and track opponents easier with more frames.

Yea but the problem is if XB1 does this and lets say it affects the controller population. What do you think is more likely. They adapt or get rid of the console and move to Playstation? It's a huge risk for MS because it could leave them with a significant portion of their fanbase leaving.

I simply don't think the number of people that would leave over this is that large at all.

Yea but the problem is if XB1 does this and lets say it affects the controller population. What do you think is more likely. They adapt or get rid of the console and move to Playstation? It's a huge risk for MS because it could leave them with a significant portion of their fanbase leaving.
People said the same when they launched the Play Anywhere program. We did not see a mass exodus of people wanting to play Gears or War 4 or Forza Horizon 3 on PC.

People said the same when they launched the Play Anywhere program. We did not see a mass exodus of people wanting to play Gears or War 4 or Forza Horizon 3 on PC.

I wouldn't expect people to leave over that. Gaming on PC and gaming on console is a different experience. People would stay on console simply because they don't want to mess with a PC or use a keyboard and mouse. Now if people start seeing that people playing on the xbox are using a keyboard in say something like COD and they are getting their ass kicked they might not want to play in that environment anymore. It would no longer be an even playing field when it came to competitive games.

So then MS would have to split the community between controller player and keyboard\mouse players. One group might get left with not enough players and it could ruin the X1 online community.

I simply don't think the number of people that would leave over this is that large at all.

You might be right but it's gamble either way and I don't know if it's one MS should be taking. Especially when the benefits don't seem to be that great to begin with. I don't see people clamoring for a console that allows you to use a mouse and keyboard.

You might be right but it's gamble either way and I don't know if it's one MS should be taking. Especially when the benefits don't seem to be that great to begin with. I don't see people clamoring for a console that allows you to use a mouse and keyboard.

The way they are getting beat by Sony in the console market it is a gamble they have to take.

So then MS would have to split the community between controller player and keyboard\mouse players. One group might get left with not enough players and it could ruin the X1 online community.

You have made this argument a couple of times. Thing is the community is split right now. So the only thing that would happen is it would continue that split, but give people a choice.

The way they are getting beat by Sony in the console market it is a gamble they have to take.

You have made this argument a couple of times. Thing is the community is split right now. So the only thing that would happen is it would continue that split, but give people a choice.

That's true they need to take a gamble. The gamble should be on exclusives and new IP'and new studios that they own. It's been working out great for Sony going that route. One of their studios that produced ok games like Killzone just released what could be GOTY. MS just seems to be focused on anything but games right now and I have no idea why.

That's true they need to take a gamble. The gamble should be on exclusives and new IP'and new studios that they own. It's been working out great for Sony going that route. One of their studios that produced ok games like Killzone just released what could be GOTY. MS just seems to be focused on anything but games right now and I have no idea why.

If Microsoft tie PC gaming in with the Xbox they also get far more exclusives, or games Sony does not have, then they would focusing on making exclusives.

If Microsoft tie PC gaming in with the Xbox they also get far more exclusives, or games Sony does not have, then they would focusing on making exclusives.

Eh I love PC gaming but it's far from some bastion for exclusive games. I just like having the best graphics possible for third party games on my PC. It wouldn't really add much to the market. Exclusive PC games are very rare these days. Also realistically what are the chances they are going to be able to tie in PC games into the X1? Has to be close to none. Investing in studios is just a far better alternative and one that is proven to pay off if you stay in it for the long haul.

Eh I love PC gaming but it's far from some bastion for exclusive games. I just like having the best graphics possible for third party games on my PC. It wouldn't really add much to the market. Exclusive PC games are very rare these days. Also realistically what are the chances they are going to be able to tie in PC games into the X1? Has to be close to none. Investing in studios is just a far better alternative and one that is proven to pay off if you stay in it for the long haul.

What the hell are you talking about? There are far more exclusives for the PC then all the consoles combined. There always have been.

What the hell are you talking about? There are far more exclusives for the PC then all the consoles combined. There always have been.

Are we talking indie games or AAA titles? I have a gaming PC 1070 steam account all of it. I love it but I have a hard time thinking of any AAA exclusives. Indie's it has for days.

Are we talking indie games or AAA titles? I have a gaming PC 1070 steam account all of it. I love it but I have a hard time thinking of any AAA exclusives. Indie's it has for days.
LoL, DOTA 2, Civ series, Total War series, ARMA series, WoW, Star Wars the Old Republic...

With PS Now, master race can play PS3 exclusives.
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/psnow/games/

Microsoft is working on bringing their monthly game subscription service to PC as well.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...iginal-xbox-titles-and-game-pass-says-spencer

Last edited:
Turning the Xbox one into a PC would be bad for MS IMO. It sounds like a good idea until you alienate everyone who wants to use a controller in competitive games like COD and pretty much any FPS. Unless they can find a way to separate the KB&M players from the controllers players. Which introduces it's own issues. I think they need to do what Sony did and focus on games. Release them on PC if money is a concern to help cushion any losses (they need to be willing to accept losses). Also give dev's more freedom that's been a consistent complaint coming from any dev under MS.

We get it MS you want Halo 64 but they want to try something new so give them a chance.
How is it a bad thing for them? Look at their exclusives now. They spent $1bn on exclusives in 2014, and for what? You can't buy creative greatness. Funding helps, but there is no linear correlation. Pretty much every exclusive on the Xbox One worth owning is made by Microsoft, and ends up eventually appearing on the PC, anyway, if it didn't at launch.

Also, certainly it would be easy to keep online communities restricted to controllers, or to automatically divert gamers to the KB+M servers if the Xbox detects that as the active input. Hacking this incurs penalties. This is already the world that exists for consoles. Besides, input manipulation is the least of your worries with regard to online cheating. There are much more effective ways to circumvent such an easy separation of servers.

The XB1 isn't competing with the PC gaming market, anymore, for the very reason you guys are discussing; not so much that because PCs completely lack AAA exclusives, because they don't, if you look at all the games already suggested on an absolute scale, but because those games belong to genres that essentially don't exist on consoles. The truth is that the consoles primary money markets are the "hardcore" first person shooter and 3rd person shooter markets. If you stand way back that's the space in the grander gamer landscape that these devices inhabit. That's how the rest of the world perceives console gamers: as a bunch of online shooter-obsessed males aged mostly 15-35. There's some moonlighting in sporting, racing, and fighting games, but mostly that's it. Pure RPG's are disappearing as most of the elements of its genre are subsumed and consumed by the first-person and third-person genres.

The XB1X will debut at $499, but it will be down to the $250-$300 range in a game combo on Amazon just like the base units in 18-24 months, and that is simply cheaper than anyone can hope to build a proper gaming PC (at ANY time). So it goes from a best bang-for-you-buck to the cheapest absolute option. Market appeal doesn't diminish with age. Since they make almost all the good Xbox exclusives, then it doesn't make sense to wall themselves off, since all that would really achieve during this generation would be to cut themselves off from selling software on the PC market-- sales with no genuine opportunity cost.

This is the way they have to go. The sooner they can get headsets like the Vive and the Oculus running on their machine the better.
I do only own a phone - now. I last had a PC in 2014. Last game I played on it was Diablo 3's expansion. As far as I know my Steam account, which I've had since I bought Halflife 2 in 2004, is still active. I've downloaded the Steam client on my computer at work to check to see that my library is still there (I don't play anything though because the computer doesn't even have a video card) and it appears that my account's ok and my library is still there.

These days I do my gaming on my PS3 and PS4, and my NES classic, which I bought due to the fact that I don't presently have a computer with which to play roms. I've been thinking about getting a PC again, hence me posting in this thread - if getting an Xbone X would be just as good as getting a PC, then I'd go that route if, as this thread implies, it's more bang for your buck. But if I couldn't play my Steam library with an Xbox then I wouldn't get one.
Gotcha. No, if the games are PC exclusives, then you won't be able to play them on the Xbox.

Console gamers tend to be much more ignorant of the PC landscape than vice versa. My presumption is that gamers tend to graduate to PC rather than start with it. Worm would definitely sacrifice a considerable portion of his library atm. That may change if Microsoft really makes an effort to provide incentive to developers to port their stuff to the Xbox One.
Metacritic: Best PC Videogames of All Time
Gamerankings: Best PC Games of All Time (20 review minimum)

Half-Life_2_cover.jpg

Wikipedia: PC Games with 1M+ Sales
Nov-2013 to Today: Xbox One & PS4 (8th Gen)
  • (1.0m) PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
  • (1.5m) 7 Days to Die
  • (1.0m) Stardew Valley
  • (1.0m) Undertale
  • (1.0m) Ark: Survival Evolved
  • (1.3m) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • (2.0m) Grand Theft Auto V
  • (3.5m) Cities: Skylines
  • (5.0m) The Sims 4
  • (3.0m) DayZ
  • (3.0m) Rust
  • (1.0m) Space Engineers
Nov-2005 to Oct-2013: Xbox 360 & PS3 (7th Gen)
  • (3.0m) ARMA 3
  • (1.0m) Europa Universalis IV
  • (1.1m) Starcraft: II: Heart of the Swarm
  • (2.0m) SimCity 2013
  • (2.0m) Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • (1.2m) Prison Architect
  • (5.0m) Guild Wars 2
  • (12.0m) Diablo III
  • (1.1m) Crusader Kings II
  • (2.0m) The Binding of Isaac
  • (1.3m) The Legend of Sword and Fairy 5
  • (2.2m) The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  • (7.5m) Terraria
  • (2.8m) Magicka
  • (5.8m) Civilization V
  • (6.0m) Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
  • (1.9m) Machinarium
  • (7.7m) The Sims 3
  • (25.0m) Minecraft
  • (1.1m) Killing Floor
  • (1.2m) Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
  • (1.5m) Crysis: Warhead
  • (2.0m) Spore
  • (3.0m) Crysis
  • (2.1m) The Witcher
  • (1.0m) BioShock
  • (1.0m) Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
  • (1.0m) Supreme Commander
  • (10.0m) Garry's Mod
  • (1.0m) Microsoft Flight Simulator X
  • (1.0m) Glory of the Roman Empire

Newzoo's Most Played PC Games
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-20-core-pc-games/
A few of the most popular PC games, including the most popular game in the world, League of Legends, have evolved on their own servers, apart from Steam or the other services above, and might otherwise go unnoticed. The above website attempts to monitor the most played PC games in the world.

Top 20 (US & EU)
  1. League of Legends
  2. Hearthstone
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. Minecraft
  5. World of Warcraft
  6. Overwatch
  7. World of Tanks
  8. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  9. Rocket League
  10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Multiplayer
  11. H1Z1
  12. Grand Theft Auto V
  13. Dota 2
  14. Ark: Survival Evolved
  15. ARMA 3
  16. Garry's Mod
  17. Warface
  18. Heroes of the Storm
  19. Guild Wars 2
  20. Rust
Top Free
  1. League of Legends
  2. Hearthstone
  3. World of Tanks
  4. Dota 2
  5. Warface
  6. Heroes of the Storm

Steam's Most-Played Games of 2016 Revealed
Alternatively, Steamstats allows you to look at the peak concurrent users in the past 24-hours on their service, at any time, but this only includes games on their service.

Average Players Per Hour for Steam Games in 2016
  1. Dota 2 / 636,607 avg. players per hour (#1 in 2015)
  2. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 360,600 avg. players per hour (#2 in 2015)
  3. Team Fortress 2 / 50,802 avg. players per hour (#4 in 2015)
  4. Grand Theft Auto V / 40,258 avg. players per hour (#5 in 2015)
  5. Sid Meier's Civilization V / 37,885 avg players per hour (#9 in 2015)

Average Players Per Hour for Steam Games in 2016 (2016 Release Date)
  1. Paladins / 22,809 avg. players per hour
  2. Dark Souls III / 14,186 avg. players per hour
  3. No Man's Sky / 8,393 avg. players per hour
  4. XCOM 2 / 7,815 avg. players per hour

Peak Players for Steam Games in 2016
  1. Dota 2 / 1,286,617 peak players (#1 in 2015)
  2. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 845,806 peak players (#2 in 2015)
  3. No Man's Sky / 212,321 peak players (new)
  4. XCOM 2 / 132,834 peak players (new)
  5. Dark Souls III / 129,922 peak players (new)

Steam 2016 Top Sellers by Revenue
--- Platinum Tier ---
  • Fallout 4
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Civilization VI
  • Rocket League
  • Total War: Warhammer
  • Dota 2
  • Dark Souls III
  • Tom Clancy's The Division
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • XCOM 2
  • No Man's Sky
--- Gold Tier ---
  • DOOM
  • Stellaris
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Warframe
  • ARK: Survival Evolved
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Stardew Valley
  • H1Z1: King of Kill
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • ARMA III
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Siege
--- Silver Tier ---
  • Smite - Ganesha: God of Success
  • Rust
  • War: Thunder Assault
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Payday 2
  • Dying Light: The Following (Enhanced Edition)
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Universities
  • Civilization V
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • Far Cry Primal
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV
  • Planet Coaster
  • Cities Skylines
  • Subnautica

VGChartz (Physical Sales)

Bestsellers 2016
  1. Farming Simulator 17 (1.05m)
  2. Overwatch (0.76m)
  3. Battlefield 1 (0.72m)
Bestsellers 2015
  1. Fallout 4 (1.39m)
  2. Grand Theft Auto V (1.30m)
  3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (0.81m)
  4. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void (0.56m)
  5. Star Wars: Battlefront (0.56m)
Bestsellers 2014
  1. The Sims 4 (3.45m)
  2. Farming Simulator 2015 (1.21m)
  3. The Elder Scrolls Online (0.96m)
  4. Dragon Age: Inquisition (0.77m)
  5. Far Cry 4 (0.67m)
  6. Titanfall (0.58m)
  7. Assassin's Creed: Unity (0.58m)
Bestsellers 2013
  1. Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm (1.68m)
  2. SimCity 2013 (1.42m)
  3. Battlefield 4 (1.40m)
  4. Total War: Rome II (0.72m)
  5. Call of Duty: Ghosts (0.73m)
  6. Rocksmith 2014 (0.67m)
  7. BioShock Infinite (0.67m)
  8. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (0.66m)
  9. Football Manager 2014 (0.64m)
  10. Crysis 3 (0.63m)
Emulation Software

This isn't necessarily restricted to gaming-class hardware, or even PC's, but a thread that any will find interesting:
Internet Archive Brings 1000's of Free Arcade, DOS, & PC Games to Your Browser

Perhaps more stable emulation than universal HTML5 javascript run through browsers is to use actual emulation software. Let's assume one is using Windows, since it's the most common platform by far, and if you're using Linux, you're probably not the type who needs a ton of help. This is a frequently updated Reddit post that gives a survey of the different consoles and their finest emulators on a Windows PC:
emulatorguide: PC Master Race
Here is the master subreddit for all things emulation. You can learn the finer points of emulation, here. For example, you can reference this for discussion of accessories where you will learn that you can purchase the original controllers for the respective consoles, brand new at stores like Amazon, designed specifically for PC emulation, and for very little money. To offer an example, the last time I checked, it was $12 for a Nintendo pad with a USB-input at the end of its cord via Amazon.
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/

STEAM

Most Popular Free Games
  • Dota 2
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Warframe
  • War Thunder
  • Paladins
  • Fallout Shelter
  • Unturned
  • Smite
  • Path of Exile
  • Clicker Heroes
  • Planetside 2
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Neverwinter
  • Lord of the Rings Online
  • Star Trek Online
  • DC Universe Online
  • Tribes: Ascend
  • Warface
  • Hawken
  • Mechwarrior Online
  • Alien Swarm
  • Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop
  • Last Man Standing
  • Heroes & Generals
  • Fishing the Planet
  • World of Tanks Blitz
  • World of Warships
  • Rift
  • TERA
  • EVE Online
  • Wildstar
  • Marvel Heroes 2016
  • Super Crate Box
  • Atlas Reactor
  • Robocraft
  • Star Conflict
  • Orcs Must Die! Unchained
  • Dirty Bomb
  • Blacklight: Retribution
  • Shadowverse
  • Everquest

OFF-STEAM
Most Popular Free Games
  • League of Legends
  • Hearthstone
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic
  • World of Tanks
  • World of Warplanes
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online
  • Pokemon MMO
  • Roblox
  • Paragon
  • Black Desert Online

Indies are still exclusives. I would call games such as ARMA 3 and Civilization AAA games.

Indy and strategy games don't count (because you need a damn mouse for strat). Name a AAA PC exclusive title that isn't Mouse dependent.

Indy and strategy games don't count (because you need a damn mouse for strat). Name a AAA PC exclusive title that isn't Mouse dependent.
This is a retarded attempt at an argument.
Taking in account sales and budget, they aren't.
Actually, they are. Stay in your lane. You're wading into waters where you don't know shit, again. ARMA III has over 3 million sales, for example. That's listed in one of the Spoiler tags in my post above detailing the mainstream PC gaming landscape.

Educate yourself or maybe consider not speaking on these matters.

not trying to insult you but that is one of the most asinine statement I have ever read in these forums... and I do peek in the War Room from time to time....

Back