Could Tyron Woodley take Platinum Mike Perrys standing elbows ?

Ellenberger is 7-2 in his past 9. The two men that he beat are 1-5 and 0-6 respectively in their last 6.

Between Ellenberger and the two men that he has beaten in his last 9 fights, they are 3-18 of their last 21.

The three of them (Ellenberger and his most recent victories) are a combined 1-18 in their last 19 fights against everyone else they have faced besides one another.

But, yeah... the latest guy to beat Ellenberger, extending his win streak to precisely one fight, is for sure the clear favourite against the champ.

My fist is the clear favorite to meet your face bro.

Ellenberger is 7-2 in his past 9. The two men that he beat are 1-5 and 0-6 respectively in their last 6.

Between Ellenberger and the two men that he has beaten in his last 9 fights, they are 3-18 of their last 21.

The three of them (Ellenberger and his most recent victories) are a combined 1-18 in their last 19 fights against everyone else they have faced besides one another.

But, yeah... the latest guy to beat Ellenberger, extending his win streak to precisely one fight, is for sure the clear favourite against the champ.

huh?

x04K_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif
Maybe longer neck and bigger head, but physically Woodley bigger imo...

It would be the two guys with the most one shot KO power at WW facing off, even I as a huge Platinum fan wouldn't want to call it. Could Tyron stay standing after one of those elbows? No, not a chance - a more appropriate question would be: Would Tyron be alive after one of those elbows?

IF Tyron survived one of those elbows he'd wake up gay like that Rugby player and finally marry Sage Northcutt.

If he could land one Woodley might be in troubble, but I don't think the fight would ever get there. Perry has been stunned before and I think Woodley would flatten him, something along the lines of the Lawler fight.

So much effort into sperging out with stats yet you still got it wrong(lol @ Jake being 7-2 in his past 9).

This win isn't about who he beat, but how he beat who. The only other person who totally starched Ellenberger like that with one shot is Thompson and he's pretty good, being that he's fought twice for the title lately and all that. Perry has a good win.

Oops... 2-7. Dammit.

I get your point... but who you beat is still relevant. Ellenberger is on a very serious downward trajectory.

Oops... 2-7. Dammit.

I get your point... but who you beat is still relevant. Ellenberger is on a very serious downward trajectory.

Jake Ellenberger loses to top 5-7 guys like Wonderboy, Rory, Lawler and Masvidal and beats top 15 fighters like Matt Brown. Mike Perry made quick work of him, which means that it is pretty safe to conclude Platinum Mike is in the top 10 territory already

That elbow likely would have planted any WW. Would he be able to land it against any WW? Not as likely, but he's improving.

Jake Ellenberger loses to top 5-7 guys like Wonderboy, Rory, Lawler and Masvidal and beats top 15 fighters like Matt Brown. Mike Perry made quick work of him, which means that it is pretty safe to conclude Platinum Mike is in the top 10 territory already

A. Losing to a top 10 guy doesn't say a lot. But losing to the last 7 top 10 guys you face does. Just on pure odds alone a top 20 or so level guy should pull one or two of those out.

B. You're vastly over rating the current version of Mat Brown who has lost 5 of his last 6, as well.

Ellenberger and Brown are ranked in the top 15 just on the fumes of their earlier careers. They've done nothing in the past 3 or 4 years to warrant being there. You might as well have GSP still in the rankings.

do you have other supporting gifs? If not, all you're saying is a guy who won in the clinch in one fight will beat a guy who lost in the clinch in one fight, which is a very weak argument

Admittedly, the clinch is Woodley's main weakness - which also happens to be where Platinum Mike really shines. IMO in a 5 rounds fight Platinum would land at least one of these and the lights would go out for the current champion

goddamn that really is one of the GOAT MMA combinations right there, and yeah I've seen it a bazillion times too....even back then it made me think black lives matter and what in the fuck Nate!!

Woodley was a bit of a lay and prayer wasn't he? I certainly was happy that happened though I wish it had been Paul Daley lighting him up like that.

A. Losing to a top 10 guy doesn't say a lot. But losing to the last 7 top 10 guys you face does. Just on pure odds alone a top 20 or so level guy should pull one or two of those out.

B. You're vastly over rating the current version of Mat Brown who has lost 5 of his last 6, as well.

Ellenberger and Brown are ranked in the top 15 just on the fumes of their earlier careers. They've done nothing in the past 3 or 4 years to warrant being there. You might as well have GSP still in the rankings.
you group all those losses together like they got brutally finished every time.

Matt Brown was on a run but one I didn't feel deserved the condit fight (condit got injured I think and it was cancelled) but he was calling out GSP and everyone else in the top 10 so the UFC gave him some big fights, in which he WAS competitive.

I think it was after the Pyle win he was offered condit and ended up facing Erick Silva and won in a fight of the night via TKO, then he lost a decision to Robbie Lawler in a fight where he rocked Lawler early on and hung in there with the future champion over 5 rounds earning fight of the night honours again.

Hendricks had only just lost his belt, so he was the former champ, Maia is likely to be the next challenger if he beats Masvidal, and Cerrone was on a hell of a run when he they fought and Brown did stagger him multiple times but ended up getting finished. The Ellenberger loss is the one that stands out to me, but Jake IS always dangerous and can finish any WW.

The guys Ellenberger loses to have all been competitive with current, former or future champions. That is the elite and Jake Ellenberger and Mike Brown were right there in the mix for their last 6-7 fights

IF Tyron survived one of those elbows he'd wake up gay like that Rugby player and finally marry Sage Northcutt.
giphy.gif

I think Perry is joking, knowing he is a manlet himself. I mean, he has to know.
And since the most popular manlet around, Conor, calls other guys midgets non-ironically, he is kinda taking a jab at that.
Or he is serious.

I honestly know nothing about Perry, tonight was the second fight of his that I have watched, and I realized that I had him confused with Cody Carbrant all this time. Both small dudes have 11 fights, they're both 25, same haircut, and are covered in hipster tattoos (I love tattoos but not that kind).
Plus, both have kinda weird fanbases and are trying to emulate Conor's shtick (well Sonnen showed that it could work in MMA first, but Conor perfected it) so yeah.

(yeah I haven't been paying a lot of attentions to the new guys last couple years, mostly tune in to watch my favorite old school guys)
You really couldn't tell the difference between the smaller CoGar who has fantastic footwork and slick boxing skills, and the tank of a welterweight that charges in like a brawler and clearly lacks the footwork required for boxing?

<LikeReally5>

you group all those losses together like they got brutally finished every time.

Matt Brown was on a run but one I didn't feel deserved the condit fight (condit got injured I think and it was cancelled) but he was calling out GSP and everyone else in the top 10 so the UFC gave him some big fights, in which he WAS competitive.

I think it was after the Pyle win he was offered condit and ended up facing Erick Silva and won in a fight of the night via TKO, then he lost a decision to Robbie Lawler in a fight where he rocked Lawler early on and hung in there with the future champion over 5 rounds earning fight of the night honours again.

Hendricks had only just lost his belt, so he was the former champ, Maia is likely to be the next challenger if he beats Masvidal, and Cerrone was on a hell of a run when he they fought and Brown did stagger him multiple times but ended up getting finished. The Ellenberger loss is the one that stands out to me, but Jake IS always dangerous and can finish any WW.

The guys Ellenberger loses to have all been competitive with current, former or future champions. That is the elite and Jake Ellenberger and Mike Brown were right there in the mix for their last 6-7 fights

It's not that I disagree with your broader premise, because I don't. Losing a couple of fights against the top of a division doesn't make you a scrub. It's when you're losing 9 times out of 10, or 19 times out of 20, literally, against that level of competition that it becomes clear there's a problem, no matter how competitive you may be.

MMA fans generally put far too much stock in the results of a single fight. But we can't go the other way, either. Streaks and trends like that have significance.

I'm not trying to be dismissive of Ellenberger or Brown. I like them both, and both are dangerous guys, even now. I'm just contextualizing Perry's win here a little bit. I know that most of this is just so much trolling... but just in case people are buying it, beating Ellenberger (in any fashion) at this point in time doesn't give us a great data point to start speculating about his chances against the champion.

Back