Could Gus in his prime beat DC in a rematch?

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
One of the judges had him winning in their fight, and DC was balancing on the edge in r3 when Gus dropped him with a knee. After all, DC got the win and has since fought other top fighters, and now the last time wanted to fight journeyman Volkan for some reason.

Anyway, it's been three years and Gus has gotten smarter and learned to not gas as badly. He's in his prime right now, so that's why I ask you guys if you actually see him beating DC in a rematch?

Is the smarter "Prime Gus" good enough to get the win?

20151002031116_5D3_2787.JPG

If DC hasn't lost a step, I think he beats Gus 9/10. It'll almost always be a tough fight though.

and now the last time wanted to fight journeyman Volkan for some reason.
He wanted to fight Volkan because that's what the fans wanted to see. Correct me if I'm wrong, but DC did a poll on Twitter asking fans who they wanted to see him fight next and they voted Volkan over Gus.

Fuck you for calling the Dark Sorcerer a journeyman!

Yes Gus could beat DC, it was about as close a fight as could get last time but I think I would still favor DC by a hair.

That kind of depends on DC's chin. If Jones cracked it in a serious manner, then Gus would probably win, if not, it'd be another close fight.

The real question is how quickly does Rumble return if Gus gets that belt. I can't help but feel Rumble is just sitting around chilling waiting for DC to lose.

Is the smarter "Prime Gus" good enough to get the win?
Come on.
You seriously cannot insinuate that the Gus who fought DC last time was not in his prime.

You're saying that the Gus who fought Jon Jones was waaay off his prime then?

Even IF it was true Gus is smarter now, it doesn't make sense to act like that's the difference between prime and not prime Gus.

Gus fans are embarrassing themselves lately with these threads

They do this every so often. I think Gus is a very good fighter but c'mon. He's barely fought more than once a year and gone 3-3 in his last 6 fights. He got his second title shot gifted to him after being knocked the fuck out in the previous fight.

He could very well be champion in a weak division someday but he's lost the 3 biggest fights of his career.

Gustaffson fought the best two LHW fighters of his era and lost close decisions to both. so ya, he showed tremendous promise.

but he also was never able to fight his way back to the top for a rematch. once because he got KTFO'd by the 3rd best LHW of his era. and also because he simply didn't fight enough to stay in the picture.

simply put, fighting 7 times in 6 years isn't enough to keep you in the conversation.

so unfortunately, that means that that's ALL he's shown us; tremendous promise. he was really good. and if he was injured less, or fought more, or didn't lose to Johnson, maybe he could have proven to us exactly how good he really is/was.

instead, all we know is he's 4th best of his era.

adn then, when he finally gets back into the picture....DC moves up to fight Stipe. brutal.

oh well. them's the breaks. maybe they fight just before DC's 40th birthday. maybe not. i sure hope so.

Their fight was very close, of course he *could
How is this even a question?

sGpFwmv.gif

Explain yourself, mister. I haven't made a Gus thread for quite a while.

Why can't I ask what other people think of him and this potential fight?

Theres been a recent string of threads about Gus recently

One saying he should get the winner of Stipe-DC, which is ridiculous

Another claimed he wasnt 100% for the first DC fight because he was coming off the Rumble KO despite their being 8 months in between the fights. Again, thats ridiculous

And here we have this one popping up saying Gus is his prime now when hes 3-3 in the last 5 years. Even if he was in his fighting prime and at the peak of actual fighting skill, hes not active enough to show it. So suggesting hes in his prime right now is ridiculous

Come on.
You seriously cannot insinuate that the Gus who fought DC last time was not in his prime.

Even IF it was true Gus is smarter now, it doesn't make sense to act like that's the difference between prime and not prime Gus.
You know what I mean, though... Don't you?

I think he was still learning back then and had to experience some setbacks to polish his fight IQ.

Even though it made him successful early on, his wilderness became a weakness in the fights for the belt.

I think he has looked more mature since then. Cool, calm, collected basically, and I just thought that this may be what he needs to go all the way.

He certainly could. Who knows if he will or not, but he definitely has a good chance.

The Gus who fought Glover would have beaten both Jones and DC.

Come on.

Jones fight was the first 5 rounder in Gus` career and for DC fight he was coming off a KO loss and looked like shit. He would be at his best now like the Glover fight clearly showed, but Jones and DC are nowhere to be found.

He wanted to fight Volkan because that's what the fans wanted to see. Correct me if I'm wrong, but DC did a poll on Twitter asking fans who they wanted to see him fight next and they voted Volkan over Gus.

DC pulled some BS with that iirc.

The options were DC/Gus, DC/Volkan, or Volkan/Gus as the fight they wanted to see next. Top result was Volkan/Gus, then Gus/DC, then Volkan/DC and Cormier closed the poll and said that proved Volkan was the most popular option somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back