Could Gus in his prime beat DC in a rematch?

What? Not according to 2 of the judges. Both had him winning round 2 and 4, and one of them also round 3.
Regardless, it was a fun great fight but I dont see how Gus won it. DC outstruck him in every round except the 4th. Round 1 could've been a 10-8 for DC given strikes were 56-7.

Rd 1 - 56-7 DC
Rd 2 - 36-30 DC
Rd 3 - 45-34 DC
Rd 4 - 37-33 Gus
Rd 5 - 49-22 DC'

Gus got a takedown in the 2nd so you could give him the round but it wasnt a washout of a round.

I've always had Gus winning the rematch

Gus not in prime anymore what??
The opposite, they are arguing he wasn't prime until the Glover fight :confused:
So me a fight where Gus throws 4-6 strike combos like these:
I just think he saw an unusually good opportunity there. I doubt that will be a new permanent fixture in his game. But we'll see.
He probably would not even have to fight any better to win, because it was already almost 50/50 first time and DC would be now 3 years older. That shit performance from the first fight could already be enough.
I'm inclined to agree.
Allthough I think we never really got to see DC having to go into desperation mode.
I still wonder if he could take Gus down a lot more if he was forced to because he was losing the stand up game badly.

But overall, you might be right. When people say Gus is not championship material I always argue that he was so close to beating DC and Jones that he could've already been the champ.

Back