Cotto Returns on Aug 26 on HBO

I have Cotto but the one thing I'm not sure about is that Cotto doesn't fight as well going backwards and I'm not sure if he can back Kamegai up. Cotto will out box him for sure and hit him a lot and the accumulation of damage will stop or slow down Kamegai. If not, Kamegai may have a chance to win on the score cards by being more aggressive and controlling the space.

I have Cotto but the one thing I'm not sure about is that Cotto doesn't fight as well going backwards and I'm not sure if he can back Kamegai up. Cotto will out box him for sure and hit him a lot and the accumulation of damage will stop or slow down Kamegai. If not, Kamegai may have a chance to win on the score cards by being more aggressive and controlling the space.

i dont believe that kamegai is a big guy. iirc, he came into the ring at 159 pounds against soto karass in the first fight. jesus was 169 pounds

i dont believe that kamegai is a big guy. iirc, he came into the ring at 159 pounds against soto karass in the first fight. jesus was 169 pounds

Didn't he back up Soto Karass in that fight though? Also Guerrero. Dude doesn't seem to like stepping backwards. His instinct seems to step forward if the opponent steps forward. And Cotto seems to like creating space and boxing from the outside more these days. He should go in close and bang the body like he used to.

Didn't he back up Soto Karass in that fight though? Also Guerrero. Dude doesn't seem to like stepping backwards. His instinct seems to step forward if the opponent steps forward. And Cotto seems to like creating space and boxing from the outside more these days. He should go in close and bang the body like he used to.

both rg and soto karass are 147s. cotto is a legit 154. i think once kamegai absorbs a few cotto punches hes going to back up. yoshihiros style is a phone booth and i dont think that he can win that type of fight against miguel.

both rg and soto karass are 147s. cotto is a legit 154. i think once kamegai absorbs a few cotto punches hes going to back up. yoshihiros style is a phone booth and i dont think that he can win that type of fight against miguel.
I totally forgot it was at 154. I'm hoping Kamegai doesn't back up and make this a fun fight.

Cottos fight was set way before the Maywesther fight.. So that ain't Cottos fault.

Tho I have also heard he is a diva with an ego.

But this isn't his retirement, one more in December it seems?

Why would they put this on the same night as Conor/Floyd?

<36>
Cottos fanbase is largely outside the States. Doubt they care about the freak show.

Cottos fight was set way before the Maywesther fight.. So that ain't Cottos fault.

Tho I have also heard he is a diva with an ego.

But this isn't his retirement, one more in December it seems?

A friend of mine met him in a bar in Puerto Rico (he went to college there). Cotto talked to my friend for a minute, posed for a picture with him, and was an all-around nice guy. I am sure he has quite an ego, like most prize fighters probably do, but at least he treats people with respect.

This is just up around Long Beach and the tickets are dirt cheap. This might be a good chance to catch Cotto before he retires. Should be a good fight if you're a fan of his.

A friend of mine met him in a bar in Puerto Rico (he went to college there). Cotto talked to my friend for a minute, posed for a picture with him, and was an all-around nice guy. I am sure he has quite an ego, like most prize fighters probably do, but at least he treats people with respect.

That is awesome, and good to hear. To tell you the truth, I cannot recall hearing a story of Cotto's interactions with actual fans. I have only heard stories about him being a diva in fight negotiations, or doing promo stuff like press conferences and/or 24/7 type stuff. But given that is the business side of stuff, I do not fault him for that. And of course talking about himself in third person :)

He is in the my top 5-10 favorites of all time, so it is good to hear that he is nice and respectful to fans.

Rios- 122
Vargas- 121.6

Kamegai- 153.9
Cotto- 153.6

That is awesome, and good to hear. To tell you the truth, I cannot recall hearing a story of Cotto's interactions with actual fans. I have only heard stories about him being a diva in fight negotiations, or doing promo stuff like press conferences and/or 24/7 type stuff. But given that is the business side of stuff, I do not fault him for that. And of course talking about himself in third person :)

He is in the my top 5-10 favorites of all time, so it is good to hear that he is nice and respectful to fans.

There were also a few times where he just stormed out of the arena after a loss instead of giving an interview. I think that kind of fueled to perception that he was a little full of himself. But I think he's just kind of a weird guy by American standards. Kisses his kids on the lips, shares a bed with his best friend. It's not stuff people are used to seeing.

I always figured him for more of a recluse. Cool to know he'll actually engage with fans. I barely want to engage with the bartender when I'm out, let alone some stranger who's probably been eyeballing me all night.

Decided to hell with it and bought a ticket to this. Got a nice seat just off of the floor. Excited I'll get to see him live before he retires.

Javier Padilla-Ricardo Arias JFW up now.

Anybody else getting very crappy sound from the stream? I can only hear the bell, nothing else.

If I turn the volume to 100, I can just barely hear the announcer, but I can't make out what he is saying.

Back