Cormier: Brock Lesnar will ‘be the last fight of my career’

Well, i guess i'll be rooting for brock. There's a 1st time for everything.

how the fuck can he justify wanting to defend the title against shogun?? as shogun fan, of course i would love to see him win the title, but he's nowhere near a title shot.

definitely hope dc takes an L his last fight.

Would he it really be *that* far out-of-bounds?

Shogun would presumably be coming off of four straight wins, and outside of Gus...LHW is basically a mess for contenders. And we got fighters waiting extreme lengths of time between defenses, or essentially choosing to not defend...to me it's not that big a deal all things considered, especially since DC would immediate vacate the belt after the fight.

And just as a curiosity, whatever degree Shogun deserves a LHW shot, Brock deserves a HW title shot significantly less based strictly on in-cage merit/wins, so how could you then root for Brock? :p

DC - “Will he be next? I don’t know. I hope so but I’ve still got a belt to defend at 205 [pounds] to think about.”

whos closer to a title shot at 205 then shogun on a 3 fight win streak.
i get what you're saying man. But beating old man diet nog, a split against corey anderson and beating gian " i fight like a tired drunk" villante shouldn't be enough for a TS.

gustaffson and volkan fight in august. if gus wins, i think he deserves the shot.

Would he it really be *that* far out-of-bounds?

Shogun would presumably be coming off of four straight wins, and outside of Gus...LHW is basically a mess for contenders. And we got fighters waiting extreme lengths of time between defenses, or essentially choosing to not defend...to me it's not that big a deal all things considered, especially since DC would immediate vacate the belt after the fight.

And just as a curiosity, whatever degree Shogun deserves a LHW shot, Brock deserves a HW title shot significantly less based strictly on in-cage merit/wins, so how could you then root for Brock? :p

you're right, LHW is a mess. and as far as his 3 consecutive wins, look at my response to the other poster.

brock definitely doesn't deserve a title shot, it's bs that he's gonna get it. But i hope he wins because i don't like cormier and i'm salty AF (at least i'm honest)

Last edited:
If the UFC was smart they would already start a 4 man tournament for the LHW belt and one for the HW belt. Leading to fans accepting that fighter as the legitimate champ

But the ufc is terrible so they won’t. And the LHW and HW division will be null of star power for years after this

whos closer to a title shot at 205 then shogun on a 3 fight win streak.

Gustafsson. IF he beats Volkan then there's no doubt he's next for the title. The way he dominated Glover was super impressive, and if he has an impressive performance against Volkan it can't be denied.
Shogun is on a 3 fight win streak yes, but against who? Little nog, many people felt Nog won. Split decision against Corey which I didn't watch so I can't speak on how close it was. Then a win against Gian Villante. IF he beats Smith he would still not have a single top 5 win.

lesnar_vs_cormier.jpg

Originally mentioned that he’d have at least 2 fights left in him, it looks like Cormier will settle for his retirement fight with Lesnar at HW.

Looks like he’ll be done with 205 and that title be up for grabs. It’ll be the same for the HW belt if Lesnar somehow makes it past USADA and Cormier gets his easy payday and rides off into the sunset as the double-champ.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/7/...lesnar-last-fight-career-heavyweight-mma-news
He said nothing about being done with 205. All you had to do was read the article that you posted.

“Will he be next? I don’t know. I hope so but I’ve still got a belt to defend at 205 [pounds] to think about.”

yes he can, if he wants to fight lesnar first.
That isn't a fight, it's basically a retirement press conference that sets up his 401k. It's silly to look at it any other way. Cormier has fought the best of the best. Any other fight is a significant step down in competition from who he has fought. So yeah, go get paid.

WOOO WAR SHOGUN

i get what you're saying man. But beating old man diet nog, a split against corey anderson and beating gian " i fight like a tired drunk" villante shouldn't be enough for a TS.

gustaffson and volkan fight in august. if gus wins, i think he deserves the shot.

you're right, LHW is a mess. and as far as his 3 consecutive wins, look at my response to the other poster.

brock definitely doesn't deserve a title shot, it's bs that he's gonna get it. But i hope he wins because i don't like cormier and i'm salty AF (at least i'm honest)
I cant argue any of that, but as a die hard shogun fan I wanna see it lol. Plus I get why DC wants that one, fresh match up for him to end his 205 reign. shogun is a big name, him getting a title shot will get a lot of ppv buys from us old ppl. but gus/volkan winner definitely deserves it more. have them fight latifi or yoel though instead.

Gustafsson. IF he beats Volkan then there's no doubt he's next for the title. The way he dominated Glover was super impressive, and if he has an impressive performance against Volkan it can't be denied.
Shogun is on a 3 fight win streak yes, but against who? Little nog, many people felt Nog won. Split decision against Corey which I didn't watch so I can't speak on how close it was. Then a win against Gian Villante. IF he beats Smith he would still not have a single top 5 win.
shhhhh, I'm a shogun fan and want to see it. I get where DC is coming from as well, final fight, big name pride guy.

Was at least espextecing him to defen the title one time against a REAL opponent. Yes he beat Stipe but it's not like he had to go throught the HW division to earn the sot and now his last fight and probably his only title defense for the HW title will be against Lesnar ... Great DC...

So what happens if Brock actually beats DC? I'm sure DC is gonna want a rematch or some other fight to end on a high note.

cormier joins the Duck Parade.

Duck parade ? WTF are you talking about man ?
He is fucking 40, and ten years past his physical prime..
Why should he go on fighting and getting punched in the head (if he managed to get enough financial security) instead of hanging them and solidifying his legacy ?
What you are saying makes ZERO sense..

He is not a young lion anymore. What do you expect him to do ? Fight till 45 until he loses in devastating fashion and people say it ruins his legacy and he was never good to begin with..
Seriously people on this board need to give fighter a break.. Calling the only LHW who manned up and fought the best HW champ ( at least as far as stats go ) and squashed him a duck.. Now I've seen it all..

It all depends on if Jones gets more than a 2 year suspension. If Jones gets 3 years+ I believe DC will retire. But if he only gets 2 years Jones will be back next Summer. That's a huge rematch I don't think DC can pass on. A chance at redemption and a huge pay day.

A 40 year old athlete retiring can't be called a duck.
That's true and it depends on how he feels. Randy Coutures best accomplishments happened when he was 40+..Dan Henderson is another legend who went well into his 40s as well. If DC feels like retiring at 40 so be it. Fedor should have retired at 34.

it should be the last fight in both of their careers. Both are upper 30's, low 40's and best to go out on top with a victory or big payday. The only avenue I see from here is that the winner faces Jon Jones in one final money match.

It's a shame. DC's last fight is one I sincerely hope he wins. I would rather he fights Ilir Latifi at LHW and Curtis Blaydes at HW. Those are two guys who would pose a challenge in both his weight classes.

Back