Conor's PPV success is not a result of his "hard work", he shouldn't be praised for it like he is

Cruz is perfecting his art of ducking. Fighting 50 year skateboarders and #9s instead of top 5s. Seems to be working.

I dont know how this guy has any fans. GSP of standup. Ducks worse than Bisping.

Add to that manlet which never draw.

Plenty of fighters promote themselves, plenty of fighters talk shit, very few become draws. There's no way of knowing if people will like it or not.

For example take a look at Tony Ferguson. Promotes himself, talks shit, even more exciting fighter than Conor... Isn't a draw.

I don't believe people like Conor who happen to get viral and then claim they did it because they had some formula for success since day one.
All shit talking wasn't created equally. What Ferguson does just comes out douchey and awkward. Conor says a lot of dumb stuff, but it's all him~~and for every 5 stinkers he says, he'll have 1 good sound byte. ..and that's all you need. And people like to see KOs. Conor has finished all of his fights in the UFC with the exception of Nate and Max.
Part of Conor's success is planned. He understands the game, and understands what people like to see--the other part of it is whether or not you have the charisma, personality, wit, charm, or whatever other "it" factor you need to appeal to the masses. Conor does. Ferguson does not.
Aside from that, you and the rest of his haters are probably Conor's biggest push. Mayweather isn't an exciting fighter, not eloquent, or particularly good looking, but he has an undefeated record and is not well liked....and that dislike is the true source of his fame. So keep hating. Keep feeding the Irish man. Conor blessings upon all, hater and lover alike.

Jon Jones beat people in even more impressive fashion, was younger when he did it and actually became a consensus MMA ATG.

Yet his personality simply wasn't liked due to circumstances he couldn't control - I mean in during the time before his problems and his bad side was revealed. Then when his problems outside the cage came out he didn't become popular or a draw either while for example Mike Tyson boosted his popularity (drawing power) with all the shit he did. The public that buys the PPVs is unpredictable, you can't possibly know how to become viral.

What you've said there is accurate and should also lead you to realise Conor used his personality to his advantage (unlike Jones) which in turn boosted his popularity outside of the cage and helped bring a hell of a lot more eyes to mma.

Again, none of it down to luck.. people know what's best for themselves and McGregor is a fine example of that.

He's done a very good job of creating a marketable character for himself, which makes people want to watch. He's also a talented fighter. I'm sure his talent isn't the only thing bumping his popularity, as evidenced by some of the threads here on Sherdog (fashion, shit he says, when he took his last dump, etc.) But there are fans that certainly appreciate his fighting skill and style above all else. Sure, he didn't do all of it to take him as far as he's gone. But he did provide the spark the UFC needed to see his potential for marketability. Once they saw that, they were naturally behind him because that drives the promotion. Whether we all as fans like it or not. I say this as a fan who is pretty indifferent to Conor.

Think about it, Andy hit high level PPV buys without talking mad shit. I think Anderson really truly had the IN FIGHT 'IT FACTOR', where everyone knew when Andy fought some crazy shit was going to happen. Some casuals would buy in, but a lot of the time, hardcore fans would pony up to see some amazing shit happen.

I don't care what anyone says about Andy, his run, his competition or those tests, no one will ever finish fighters in spectacular fashion like he did so consistently and at this level. It's still fucking mind boggling. I wish people appreciated Andy more.

THAT'S MY POINT

those guys didn't had to insult or put themselves like the next mma god to sell ppvs. and note this: andy and irish jabroni both are SOUTHPAWS COUNTER PUNCHERS andy more of a taunter, mcG tends to be more aggresive.

im not a fan of andy but i will consider him the best MW ever. shame mcG had to act like a arrogant douche he has the skills but since he just wants money we have to expect favorable matchmaking and unnecessary matches like the nate fights

Dominick Cruz made a very important point about Conor:

"You got to play the cards the way they are given and I wasn't given the same cards as him, so I have to use what I've been given to grow with that. You shouldn't model yourself after him, you should be yourself and just understand that you can't choose who goes viral or who becomes a superstar--that's out of our control,"

http://www.flocombat.com/article/47...onor-mcgregor-at-featherweight-or-lightweight

Conor selling that many PPVs is a product of his work or whatever. He is just lucky that his personality got viral.

It's like those YouTube videos that suddenly get millions of views or some music videos that go viral like that Korean thing Gangnam Style years ago. There is no scientific formula or any special talent behind it, you can never know for certain what will be popular and how people will react to it. Popularity is in most cases mostly due to luck and circumstances you can't control, especially this day and age with the internet and complete cretinization of society.

If you look at it objectively:

Is Conor the best MMA fighter? No. Is Conor the most exciting MMA fighter? No. Is Conor the most intelligent, the most good looking fighter or whatever? No.

So why exactly is he the biggest draw? Because of combination of lucky circumstances, being at the right place at the right time and most importantly the random unpredictable stupidity of the masses that buy these PPVs and are on his hypetrain, the vast majority of them being casual MMA fans without sufficient knowledge about the sport or aren't even MMA fans at all. It's nothing to be particularly proud of and it's shouldn't count as some sort of MMA-related achievement.

It's ridiculous how Conor fans always insult MMA or boxing legends and other decent fighters by saying they're "bums" and inferior to Conor because they don't sell as much as Conor as if Conor's "achievement" of selling a lot of PPVs outweighs the real hard work and great performances in the ring/octagon that those fighters had. And those people claim to be fans of the sport?

There is no special achievement in Conor selling that many PPVs. It's about as great of an achievement as posting a random stupid video on YouTube that somehow gets millions of views. There isn't any "hard work" behind it. It's not like Conor went in MMA working hard on some scientific plan how to sell the PPVs, he was just being the obnoxious loudmouth that he is with his accent and hipster tattoos and for whatever reason the retarded stupid public liked that.

On the other hand you have great fighters (including fighters who are better and more established than Conor) who sell around 300k PPVs or even less because for whatever reason that is beyond their control they didn't get viral. People are stupid like Mousasi said. The PPV sales are obviously not reflecting the actual abilities of a fighter so why do some people constantly bring them up here?

tldr: Conor going viral and selling PPVs is not an achievement that is product of any "hard work", it's about as much of an achievement as posting a stupid YouTube video that somehow gets millions of views. People are stupid and unpredictable and whether a fighter gets viral or not is out of his control. Some get lucky and some don't. Conor is lucky because the stupid retarded public happens to like his personality. It's has nothing to do with MMA

I don-t even like Coner all tha much, but I do respect his hustle and his willingness to take risks.

Good LAWD TS, you sound salty about his success.

Mousasi is a fucken bum who can't draw for shit because he's not worth a shit

Every successful person succeeded as a result of lucky circumstances. Michael Jordan wouldn't amount to jack as if he had my genetics, him being basketball GOAT has everything to do with luck of the genetic draw, nothing more.

only whiners are saying you cant make that happen and its not in your control. conor busts his ass to promote himself. he goes out and he gets shameless. fuck these haters that think its just a fluke that conor is where he is. go talk some shit dominic cruz and make people give a shit about your lame fights and maybe you'll sell more, too.

Right, it's just that simple. That's why YOU are such a huge success in life!

Oh wait, you're not? Oh. You must be some sub par person then. Obviously, every single human being receives the exact same opportunities.

Right, it's just that simple. That's why YOU are such a huge success in life!

Oh wait, you're not? Oh. You must be some sub par person then. Obviously, every single human being receives the exact same opportunities.

lmao i think youd be surprised by how well im doing.. and i dont even have to get punched in the face.

So you're saying he's popular because he has no issues acting like an idiot and stupid people live vicariously through him and his antics derived from said idiocy? Okay. I would also say him being white helps a lot. If a black athlete acted like him, he'd be hated forever. I do find it funny a lot of white people started to suddenly become 'irish' once Connie got popular, lol.
Acting like an idiot? That's just your hater bias there. He has done and said plenty of intelligent things. You guys only seem to look at the pre fight promotion press conferences, and not the interviews in between, or the post fight stuff. He speaks pretty well on the fight game and his opponents fpr the most part..and he always puts on exciting fights.

I agree that his Irishness helps him, but it's to be expected. People like characters and heroes that look like them, because they find it easier to relate to. It isn't necessarily racist that Jon wouldn't get the same love. You have to be something really special, like Ali, Tyson, or Anderson to trascend that.
But for the most part, Whitey loves Conor, Filipinos love Pacquio, and Mexicans loved Oscar. Is normal.

I gotta be honest: you sound like a bum. Let Conor improve your bum life. Embrace the red panties.

I'm not a fan but he used to be funny. Before the money went to his head.

only whiners are saying you cant make that happen and its not in your control. conor busts his ass to promote himself. he goes out and he gets shameless. fuck these haters that think its just a fluke that conor is where he is. go talk some shit dominic cruz and make people give a shit about your lame fights and maybe you'll sell more, too.

who's conor?

Conor appeals to the casual blowhards who don't know their MMA ass from an MMA hole in the ground. They eat this generic, copy and paste bullshit up that is regurgitated over and over and over again despite the prior result, further aided by selective amnesia and derp level catch phrases. They only like KOs and still think grappling is boring; even 'gay' sometimes. Some of them wear jean shorts; some have neck beards; some still live at home; some still live in basements.

That's about 90% of Connie's fan base.

Then there are people who just like to watch him fight because he brings excitement. That's about 5% of them.

The other 5%... Just hanger-ons.

black-kid-crying.gif

"HARD TRUTH"...

TS, good post. Haven't read a wall of text like that since 2002.

What you've said there is accurate and should also lead you to realise Conor used his personality to his advantage (unlike Jones) which in turn boosted his popularity outside of the cage and helped bring a hell of a lot more eyes to mma.

Again, none of it down to luck.. people know what's best for themselves and McGregor is a fine example of that.

No guarantee that Jones doing so would result in him being more popular, at least not significantly so. Cruz's point is accurate - Who the audience likes, doesn't like and who they gravitate towards is subjective. Certain things are just out of your control.

{<doc}<{hmmm}>
Stop. I dislike conor a lot but the man is the biggest star in MMA we have ever had. He is not the best fighter on the planet: that belongs to jon jones alone but he is the biggest draw we have ever seen. Dude draws everyone in.
I took a poll in my house today. My wife knows who GSP is, but she hasn't heard of Conor McGregor, so you're wrong.

Jon Jones beat people in even more impressive fashion, was younger when he did it and actually became a consensus MMA ATG.

Yet his personality simply wasn't liked due to circumstances he couldn't control - I mean in during the time before his problems and his bad side was revealed. Then when his problems outside the cage came out he didn't become popular or a draw either while for example Mike Tyson boosted his popularity (drawing power) with all the shit he did. The public that buys the PPVs is unpredictable, you can't possibly know how to become viral.

Jon Jones beat people impressively due to genetics too. Everything in life is a result of the luck of the draw. Jon Jones could be the hardest working MMA fighter in the world, but had he crappy Artem Lobov genes he would never come out of the regional circuit, let alone be the youngest champion in the UFC. Both his brothers are in the NFL so clearly it's 100% genetic luck. Conor got lucky that he has the perfect blend of personality, trash talk and ethnic identity that make him click with the masses. Einstein was born a genius. Usain Bolt was born with 1 in a billion running genes. etc. etc. Literally every success story is luck.

Back