Conor should only fight Khabib or Tony next and here's why

T'Would be glorious if UFC makes like a 160 lb belt and did Conor vs Andy Wang, rewarded him back his 45 pound belt, let him keep the 55 pound belt just to trigger the life out of this place.

<{anton}>

The Warrior’s belt

I don't think Conor should get a title shot right away. He should fight a title eliminator first against the lee/barboza winner. That should be good for a laugh.

Came on this post thinking it was going to be year or two old. No shit he should fight them but he most likely won’t.

-Nate Diaz is barely a top 10 LW in the world who hasn't fought in almost 2 years and is trying to milk a Conor win for a third payday in a fight that no one gives a fuck anymore plus it would be more of the same that happened in the rematch. In the long run this would be devastating for both Conor and the UFC since the fans would get sick and tired of this money era BS and there would be no argument to why Khabib or Tony should wait.

-Floyd is one of the most retarded options ive seen in my life. Would be a complete waste of time to do a freakshow for money. This would be worse than Fedor fighting Zululinho after Cro Cop. The UFC would lose all credibility.

-There's been some talks about GSP, this would be another punch in the gut for UFC fans by Dana and Conor. Since it would be disgusting for Conor to not defend yet another belt and go one to do ANOTHER superfight for another belt he doesn't deserve, against a guy who blantly ducked the top 5 MW after getting a gifted titleshot. If it would be for a belt in a new division, that would have no meaning for the fans.

There's only one man he has to fight next and after April is either:

-Khabib, who is undefeated in 25 fights and would be the GOAT win for Conor in his legacy plus he would make ton of money regardless

Or

-Tony Ferguson who is actually a good match up for him and he would shut up his hater and claim his "best LW in the world" status and would have defended the belt and proven to be a great champ. Then he could fight whoever he wants.

Discuss

but conor is to scared to fight people who not might but WILL beat him.

Unfortunately, the only person that Conor is going to fight is the guy who can generate enough $$$ for the UFC to entice McGregor back into the ring... the belt is irrelevant... unless something changes, neither Khabib or Tony are going to crack that nut. I don't like it, but it is the sad, hard reality.

I think Conor has built himself a brand, that he is not going to jeopardize against a killer for a discount rate. I suspect we will see him in another boxing ring, or a circus match in the UFC long before we see him fight either of those two fighters.

conor has 2 fights left on a contract he signed. why doesn't conor honor what he signed and be the guy who said any time any place any weight any where.

-Nate Diaz is barely a top 10 LW in the world who hasn't fought in almost 2 years and is trying to milk a Conor win for a third payday in a fight that no one gives a fuck anymore plus it would be more of the same that happened in the rematch. In the long run this would be devastating for both Conor and the UFC since the fans would get sick and tired of this money era BS and there would be no argument to why Khabib or Tony should wait.

-Floyd is one of the most retarded options ive seen in my life. Would be a complete waste of time to do a freakshow for money. This would be worse than Fedor fighting Zululinho after Cro Cop. The UFC would lose all credibility.

-There's been some talks about GSP, this would be another punch in the gut for UFC fans by Dana and Conor. Since it would be disgusting for Conor to not defend yet another belt and go one to do ANOTHER superfight for another belt he doesn't deserve, against a guy who blantly ducked the top 5 MW after getting a gifted titleshot. If it would be for a belt in a new division, that would have no meaning for the fans.

There's only one man he has to fight next and after April is either:

-Khabib, who is undefeated in 25 fights and would be the GOAT win for Conor in his legacy plus he would make ton of money regardless

Or

-Tony Ferguson who is actually a good match up for him and he would shut up his hater and claim his "best LW in the world" status and would have defended the belt and proven to be a great champ. Then he could fight whoever he wants.

Discuss
Captain Obvious

Conor will fight whoever tgey can sign him to that brings the most money.

Why?

Coz money.

Stars aligning to Conor/Floyd II “In the Cage”

Credibilties have already been lost in the hardcore fanbase, fuck it, let the carnival wagon roll on by and grab popcorn

conor has 2 fights left on a contract he signed. why doesn't conor honor what he signed and be the guy who said any time any place any weight any where.

I'm not going to weigh in on what Conor should or shouldn't do... I would like to see him fight in the UFC, I just don't believe it is going to happen unless Dana/WME figures out the $$$ situation. And the unfortunate problem is that the best LW's in the world are not guaranteed to move the needle when talking PPV sales.

Personally, I think Conor gets beaten by both Tony and Khabib @ 155. Why would he jeopardize a legacy/brand that he has built that rivals/exceeds that of the UFC? Well, perhaps he can make more $$$ while taking less risk via other ventures/opportunities. Conor sits in a unique situation.

While it annoys me that he is not fighting the likes of Ferguson and Khabib, I still relish the fact he is the one fighter that Dana cannot make heel to his will, McGregor is someone they are wary of negotiating with, because he is a gamechanger that they cannot control.

I'm not going to weigh in on what Conor should or shouldn't do... I would like to see him fight in the UFC, I just don't believe it is going to happen unless Dana/WME figures out the $$$ situation. And the unfortunate problem is that the best LW's in the world are not guaranteed to move the needle when talking PPV sales.

Personally, I think Conor gets beaten by both Tony and Khabib @ 155. Why would he jeopardize a legacy/brand that he has built that rivals/exceeds that of the UFC? Well, perhaps he can make more $$$ while taking less risk via other ventures/opportunities. Conor sits in a unique situation.

While it annoys me that he is not fighting the likes of Ferguson and Khabib, I still relish the fact he is the one fighter that Dana cannot make heel to his will, McGregor is someone they are wary of negotiating with, because he is a gamechanger that they cannot control.

so being the highest paid fighter in a really bad thing.

he has 2 fights left on on a contract he was more than willing to have signed so conor should just live up to his word/

{<jordan}
Lol at being actually visibly upset over what a fighter decides to do with their career. I actually hope he does come back and takes the most outlandish fight possible and doesn’t get stripped just to trigger people like @Sean Long

Sig bet that he doesnt come back EVER except for a Mayweather freakshow MMA bout?

Wtf? Why is anyone saying Conor should “defend” against Ferg or Khabib? That ship has sailed amigos. After the Ferg/Khabib fight Conor won’t have a belt to defend.

so being the highest paid fighter in a really bad thing.

he has 2 fights left on on a contract he was more than willing to have signed so conor should just live up to his word/

As far as I know, he can't fight (MMA) anywhere else until he completes those 2 fights... so, I suspect he will have to live up to his word, if he wants to compete in MMA again... all said and done, I don't know his contract, nor am I am lawyer, but I don't believe the contract says they can force any him to compete, as the UFC still has to negotiate with him for specific dates and opponents. I don't see how he has breached his contract... which is the only thing that matters...

This isn't a defense of Conor's actions, but the UFC has no problem leveraging fighters whenever they feel the need, as they hold all the cards in every single negotiation, with the exception of one, Conor McGregor. Personally, I find this sort of like Karma for how the UFC hs conducted themselves with numerous other athletes, who had no leverage.

Conor is a unique situation, and he is simply acting in his own self-interest... you can bet if the shoe was on the other foot, the UFC would marginalize Conor to the best of the abilities, in their own self-interest.

Tony has more tools that he could use against McGregor - Better on the feet than Khabib, dangerous on the ground, has all these weird, unorthodox movements that Conor may have difficulty timing, cardio for days, can take a punch really well, etc.

Khabib has only one way to win, and even though he's arguably the best grappler in the sport today, I could see Conor managing to clip him and take him out long before he can get the fight to the ground.
I don't follow your logic on this.

Tony strikes much more than Khabib, thus leaving much more openings for counters. Tony is also infamous for throwing defense out the window in favor of wild exchanges. Wildness is high risk high reward and that is right up Conor's ally to counter. While Tony is more of a danger on the feet he also plays to Conor's strengths in some areas. That fight is gonna be an explosive finish either way.

In contrast, Khabib is much more defensive and focused on grappling over striking exchanges. He leaves much fewer windows to counter because he forces people to move backwards or put all their focus on TDD. He's sloppy on the feet but has much better defense than Tony. Plus, he's taken less damage over his career than Tony by a wide margin. Khabib's style plays against Conor's strengths.

I'm curious about why you think the opposite. Was it a specific fight from either? I'm legit curious. It seems like an interesting point of conversation.

Floyd not that stupid.

"Not that stupid"?

He'll make another giant payday and still retire undefeated from his actual sport. Before the boxing match I'd have said no way, but now? Why the hell not?

2 guys who LOVE money, and care about it way more than legacy. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happens.

Back