Media Conor McGregor underestimated Khabib’s stand-up at UFC 229 but he grappled well - coach

He lost to Mayweather in a boxing bout and to Khabib who has never lost a round before. Also being the first guy to win 1 round against Khabib.
You're acting like he lost to 2 bums.
Let's see him lose to Cowboy or Poirier before talking about him like he's washed up.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...oyd-mayweather-so-long-to-stop-conor-mcgregor

A celebrity money fight! Mayweather carried the fight so that people got there money's worth. You may think it was competitive, but it wasn't.

One sided domination won easily by Khabib. Yes, that is an accomplishment, but that doesn't make him great. Gullible fans believe the hype, it's over!

1 round that's all ^^^ you expected? Khabib said he wanted him to quit that means grind time, even I expected more and I'm not a fan.

379451-12957971.png
He also pressed forward , and I am pretty sure Team Khabib were not expecting that

Meh, I don't think he did well at all. In round 1, Conor was holding on for his dear life on the ground, completely defensive with zero offensive threat or capability to get up properly. People saying that Khabib did no damage, have you considered that, perhaps, Khabib's gameplan was not to inflict damage in round 1, but to make Conor gas? Did you even see Khabib attempt to inflict damage in round 1? IMO, he didn't even try: all Khabib wanted to do in round 1 was to smother Conor and press him against the cage, force Conor to carry his weight, fight his transition attempts and make him burn up his arm muscles. Once Conor got up in round 2, he was already gassed with no KO threat due to his arms being filled with lead.

IMO, Khabib had the perfect gameplan: make Conor tire in the first, start doing real damage via GnP in the second and finish Conor in rounds 3 or 4. The only imperfection in Khabib's performance that night was the fact that he wanted to make Conor look like a clown on the feet in round 3 instead of pursuing takedown attempts more aggressively.

Meh, I don't think he did well at all. In round 1, Conor was holding on for his dear life on the ground, completely defensive with zero offensive threat or capability to get up properly. People saying that Khabib did no damage, have you considered that, perhaps, Khabib's gameplan was not to inflict damage in round 1, but to make Conor gas? Did you even see Khabib attempt to inflict damage in round 1? IMO, he didn't even try: all Khabib wanted to do in round 1 was to smother Conor and press him against the cage, force Conor to carry his weight, fight his transition attempts and make him burn up his arm muscles. Once Conor got up in round 2, he was already gassed with no KO threat due to his arms being filled with lead.

IMO, Khabib had the perfect gameplan: make Conor tire in the first, start doing real damage via GnP in the second and finish Conor in rounds 3 or 4. The only imperfection in Khabib's performance that night was the fact that he wanted to make Conor look like a clown on the feet in round 3 instead of pursuing takedown attempts more aggressively.
I appreciate the effort in your analysis , Khabib wasn't able to do damage in the 1st because his ground game when fresh is better than what people expected.

Of course Khabib wanted to do damage and tire him, his usual mo, but because Conor's ground game in the 1st was too good he couldn't do damage

I am 100 percent sure Khabib's team were surprised how good Conor was in the 1st avoiding the damage they expected to do

I appreciate the effort in your analysis , Khabib wasn't able to do damage in the 1st because his ground game when fresh is better than what people expected.

Of course Khabib wanted to do damage and tire him, his usual mo, but because Conor's ground game in the 1st was too good he couldn't do damage

I am 100 percent sure Khabib's team were surprised how good Conor was in the 1st avoiding the damage they expected to do

Conor's "ground game" is nonexistent. Clinging on to your opponent in desperation while doing absolutely nothing does not constitute a "ground game". Regardless of what you think, Conor lost the fight precisely due to the way round 1 unfolded: he burnt up his arms and gassed under Khabib, after which he was no longer a threat. The remainder of the fight was just a formality after round 1.

@Marc A do you really want to be known as the obsessed Conor fan who couldn't let go of his crushing defeat?

How many of these bullshit threads are you going to make?

Anyone keeping count?

You just joined and all your posts pertain to Conor

How many accounts is this now @Hitto this is not healthy

He did so much worse than expected standing up, and exactly as expected on the ground.

The lot of them need to lay off the booze. There is no moral high ground here, the only thing more humiliating that that performance is the aftermath of this from his team, and I’m a fan.

As probably the biggest Conor and Conor fan hater I think he did pretty good considering its Khabib. If Khabib fought him back instead of Mendez it would have been much worse. Then again the Russian did better in the striking department too.

His fans on here are trolls. Surley they don't believe the rubbish from camp McGregor.

Are human beings capbable of such a low level intellect?

False

He only did well in round 1. Got brutally smashed in the 2nd and finished in the 4th.
Al Iaquinta did better because he survived

<{katwhu}><{katwhu}><{katwhu}>

{<huh}{<huh}

Ok, so being wresltefucked for 4 rounds is doing better than expected... khabib whooped Mcg 's ass both standing and grappling, just because Mcg defended doesn't mean he did well defense wise.

They were expecting him to survive well enough on the ground to get a few opportunities on the feet, which he did. They were also expecting that a few opportunities on the feet would be enough to finish Khabib and his inferior striking off, which they weren't.

It's a fair enough assessment, I'd say.

@Marc A do you really want to be known as the obsessed Conor fan who couldn't let go of his crushing defeat?

How many of these bullshit threads are you going to make?

Anyone keeping count?

It doesn't matter whether Conor underestimated or overestimated anything, he could have had the best game plan, but his only chance as is with any fighter with some power against a much more skilled fighter is a KO punch ala Jose Aldo.
Conor's trash talking and the media's desire to push his rhetoric because of the social medias desire for news and controversy and the UFC's desire to make money plays into Conor's favor. He had the planets line up for him for sure, he is good enough and lucky enough to KO Aldo, beat a much smaller Mendes on short notice who was just happy to make the biggest paycheck in his life, a declining Alvarez, Poirer and his possible weight cut issues , and a split with Diaz. He hung with Khabib to a decision even though he got his ass handed to him, so give him his credit as a good fighter, not great, but good!

Conor has made it! Made lots of money and set for life so it doesn't matter now what happens, but if he continues to fight, he will continue to lose, it's over. Smack talk won't mean shit after getting beat again and again which I predict he will no matter who he fights from here on out, he doesn't win again and retires and the excuse will be his desire never was there because he had so much money.

Conor and his team chose the most idiotic gameplan at Khabib. He should have made Khabib guessing which punch to throw, but instead Conor went ahead firing shots like an idiot.

Overall a very onesided match. If that’s their idea of “better than expected” grappling, yikes!

Better than expected? I expected him to get beat up and mauled on the ground and he was, what did you expect?

khabib-nurmagomedov-of-russia-takes-down-conor-mcgregor-of-ireland-in-picture-id1046970932

I believe I can float...

Without an illegal knee, submitted by a kimura in second round. So no.

And constantly grabbing the fence helped him too ...

1 round that's all ^^^ you expected? Khabib said he wanted him to quit that means grind time, even I expected more and I'm not a fan.

379451-12957971.png

Conor's "ground game" is nonexistent. Clinging on to your opponent in desperation while doing absolutely nothing does not constitute a "ground game". Regardless of what you think, Conor lost the fight precisely due to the way round 1 unfolded: he burnt up his arms and gassed under Khabib, after which he was no longer a threat. The remainder of the fight was just a formality after round 1.

He did so much worse than expected standing up, and exactly as expected on the ground.

The lot of them need to lay off the booze. There is no moral high ground here, the only thing more humiliating that that performance is the aftermath of this from his team, and I’m a fan.

Lol man love you guys for making me laugh

All you guys attempting to argue pretend to know wtf team Khabib was thinking and game planning

The person i quoted was Khabib's coach!!

“If he was not that good, there’s no way in hell he would’ve kept Khabib off of him and from doing any damage in the first round.”

“I think he underestimated us on the stand-up and that’s bad on him ... because they should’ve never have underestimated Khabib’s stand-up. And I think he did.”

-Javier Mendes

Easy marks <Moves>

All you guys attempting to argue pretend to know wtf team Khabib was thinking and game planning

“If he was not that good, there’s no way in hell he would’ve kept Khabib off of him and from doing any damage in the first round.”

“I think he underestimated us on the stand-up and that’s bad on him ... because they should’ve never have underestimated Khabib’s stand-up. And I think he did.”

-Javier Mendes

Easy marks <Moves>

I have no idea why you gloating, with all due respect to Javier Mendes his opinion doesn't change what I expected, saw, got, and called...

Khabib's grappling excellence tends to distract from the fact that:
  1. he is actually a pretty complete fighter; and
  2. his grappling is a force multiplier

-Javier Mendes

Easy marks <Moves>

It was still a one sided match. Regardless of who said that, point still stands. Just sounds like Conor wasn’t as bad as Mendes expected. However, he was still bad by what we saw.

Going have to agree with his coach , Conor for sure did better than expected on the ground vs Khabib but also underestimated his stand up

Conor admits to this as well

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/ufc...medov-Striking-At-UFC-229-Coach-Says-UFC-News
Conor wasn't even ready for that fight, at least not mentally. Conor looked off, and it was quite obvious. Not that being on would have helped him any, there was no way outside of a punchers chance he was beating Khabib lol, but he still didn't look right. Guess Khabib had him shook.

Last edited:
Conor wasn't even ready for that fight, at least not mentally. Conor looked off, and it was quite obvious. Not that being on would have helped him any, there was no way outside of a punchers chance he was beating Khabib lol, but he still didn't look right. Guess Khabib had him shook.

He definitely wasn't himself. He looked incredibly nervous walking around the octagon. Sure he did the usual strut at the beginning, but he WAS shook

I personally hope the fight happens again somewhere down the line, if Conor can get his confidence and form back and sort this cardio issue out.

If he hasn't fixed his cardio by now, he never will. He isn't BJ Penn where he just doesn't like training. Conor trains his ass off. He is just never going to have good cardio

Of course he looked off. For the first time ever he was facing a wrestler that was bigger then him. He was facing a stylistic nightmare. Obviously he will look less confident then when he is fighting guys that will stand with him or guys with shitty TDs

i felt, they didnt practise. counter attacks. when on the ground should of tried to submit him. only way. because you know khabib will take you down. and getting out of it not enough.

Khabib didn’t give him space to attempt submissions. The only time Khabib gave him space was when he was onloading gnp in the second round.

Khabib didn’t give him space to attempt submissions. The only time Khabib gave him space was when he was onloading gnp in the second round.[/QUOonly way.

you gotta to make that space for yourself. putting all energy in getting up

Last edited:
Back