Media Conor McGregor underestimated Khabib’s stand-up at UFC 229 but he grappled well - coach

@Marc A do you really want to be known as the obsessed Conor fan who couldn't let go of his crushing defeat?

How many of these bullshit threads are you going to make?

Anyone keeping count?

He's sort of right.

I was surprised that Khabib couldn't pass Conor's guard in round 1 and Conor managed to defend takedowns for an entire round.

There nothing impressive outside that though but that's more than the majority of Khabib's opponents could say.

Khabib stand up is based on his ground threat. Connor s schtick is up. He is still a very good fighter. He can make more money or he can try to improve his game and come back and challenge khabib /tony in another year or two.
Dude he is not working his way back up, he is too big for that now. Trust me it's just going to be marquee fights for him till he retires. Probably Diaz trilogy, Khabib rematch, then maybe a stupid fight like Anderson Silva or GSP.

Going have to agree with his coach , Conor for sure did better than expected on the ground vs Khabib but also underestimated his stand up

Conor admits to this as well

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/ufc...medov-Striking-At-UFC-229-Coach-Says-UFC-News

It doesn't matter whether Conor underestimated or overestimated anything, he could have had the best game plan, but his only chance as is with any fighter with some power against a much more skilled fighter is a KO punch ala Jose Aldo.
Conor's trash talking and the media's desire to push his rhetoric because of the social medias desire for news and controversy, and the UFC's desire to make money plays into Conor's favor. He had the planets line up for him for sure, he is good enough and lucky enough to KO Aldo, beat a much smaller Mendes on short notice who was just happy to make the biggest paycheck in his life, a declining Alvarez, Poirer and his possible weight cut issues , and a split with Diaz. He hung with Khabib for awhile until he gave up because of the one sided beating, so give him his credit as a good fighter, not great, but good!

Conor has made it! Made lots of money and set for life so it doesn't matter now what happens, but if he continues to fight, he will continue to lose, it's over. Smack talk won't mean shit after getting beat again and again which I predict he will no matter who he fights from here on out, he doesn't win again and retires and the excuse will be his desire never was there because he had so much money.

Last edited:
it's the AKA coach saying the above, not Conor's camp.
Also, the above was quite obvious to objective people. Look at Khabib's previous opponents, they got mauled on the ground.
Conor did ok while he was fresh then gave up when he got tired.
And yes, due to the takedown threat he underestimated Khabib's standup and wasn't nearly as accurate with his strikes.

Conor has made it! Made lots of money and set for life so it doesn't matter now what happens, but if he continues to fight, he will continue to lose, it's over. Smack talk won't mean shit after getting beat again and again which I predict he will no matter who he fights from here on out, he doesn't win again and retires and the excuse will be his desire never was there because he had so much money.
He lost to Mayweather in a boxing bout and to Khabib who has never lost a round before. Also being the first guy to win 1 round against Khabib.
You're acting like he lost to 2 bums.
Let's see him lose to Cowboy or Poirier before talking about him like he's washed up.

Conor is one the most if the most successful combat fighters ever if measured by dollars and trash talk, but definitely not by skill or record. Over hyped by a long shot, he played the game very well.

Chain wrestling is fucking hard to deal with. Anyone whos in wrestling or Bjj (maybe?) can see that conor did well in positions in which hes out of his element, it wasnt nearly enough but he did well.

Thing is its alot easier to be a wrestler and make a striker worried about ur grappling then the other way around. KNOWING u can put this fight anywhere u want is HUGE. Just think about it from the wrestlers perspective, Ok he needs to knock me out to win, he needs to tune me up on the feet, ok ill take him down.
the striker has only 1 option and he has to keep it standing to win, theres a level of comfort the wrestler typically has over a striker, unless the difference in striking and understanding of distance is far above the wrestlers, right off the bat the wrestler has a big advantage. Conor did good gents but khabib was another level.

Going have to agree with his coach , Conor for sure did better than expected on the ground vs Khabib but also underestimated his stand up

Conor admits to this as well

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/ufc...medov-Striking-At-UFC-229-Coach-Says-UFC-News

RDA is he only fighter he did better than expected on the ground against Khabib, no damage whatsoever, and never lost control, of course he was still losing on the ground by points but you know what I'm talking about.
He did better than Barboza and Johnson. Not better than laquinta at all. laquinta didn't submit.
From 1 to 10 against Khabib on the ground I would say he's a 5 in contrast to all rest of Khabib's opponents.

Conor and his team chose the most idiotic gameplan at Khabib. He should have made Khabib guessing which punch to throw, but instead Conor went ahead firing shots like an idiot.

Overall a very onesided match. If that’s their idea of “better than expected” grappling, yikes!

His fans on here are trolls. Surley they don't believe the rubbish from camp McGregor.

Are human beings capbable of such a low level intellect?
051102fb3a112f467674963db14efe79f5d0f-wm.jpg

I personally hope the fight happens again somewhere down the line, if Conor can get his confidence and form back and sort this cardio issue out.

Sort the cardio issue out? LOL

His cardio got exposed in the first Diaz fight, and he hasn’t been able to do anything about it since.

He is dangerous for 8 minutes, then is forced to coast to make it to the final bell - and he can’t do this against a someone who can take him down and make him work. This is a well established fact at this point.

Conor can still win, but his window is small in those first 8 minutes, and practically nonexistent after that, particularly if he was forced to wrestle during that time.

Conor for sure did better than expected on the ground vs Khabib

Better than expected? I expected him to get beat up and mauled on the ground and he was, what did you expect?

khabib-nurmagomedov-of-russia-takes-down-conor-mcgregor-of-ireland-in-picture-id1046970932

I believe I can float...

Better than expected? I expected him to get beat up and mauled on the ground and he was, what did you expect?

khabib-nurmagomedov-of-russia-takes-down-conor-mcgregor-of-ireland-in-picture-id1046970932

I believe I can float...
If he was not that good, there’s no way in hell he would’ve kept Khabib off of him and from doing any damage in the first round.

Without an illegal knee, submitted by a kimura in second round. So no.

And constantly grabbing the fence helped him too ...

If he was not that good, there’s no way in hell he would’ve kept Khabib off of him and from doing any damage in the first round.

1 round that's all ^^^ you expected? Khabib said he wanted him to quit that means grind time, even I expected more and I'm not a fan.

379451-12957971.png

Back