Conor Mcgregor has proven the detrimental effects of weight lifting for fighters

Kemeticsoul

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How long before his model is copied in other training camps? Conor himself said that if he were given an option of "strength and conditioning" or going 10 rounds sparring-rolling, he would chose sparring-rolling every time. It's in one of his documentaries and it's an interesting point.

It seems wrestling-rolling would build up practical strength for fighting. Weight lifting in a repetitive manner seems counterintuitive (be careful Jon Jones).

A good example is the Russian/east European wrestling teams. Supposedly they lift hardly at all and focus on wrestling for their workouts, according to the strength and conditioning coach for RDA (who was on JRE discussing this).

Is it only a matter of time before we see a revolution in training regimen for mma to a more movement/skill/functional model?

I would rather do hard wrestling for a work out than weight lifting anyday.

Tell us more about what you would and wouldn't do for a workout bro

I've seen videos of McGregor lifting weights...

You don't get legs like that without lifting weights.

Of course sparring/rolling > weight lifting, but weight lifting is still beneficial.

I honestly don't know why people are concerned about JJ lifting. Its not like he's going for 1MR curls. The dudes sticking to fundamental strength training. The majority of his videos are compound exercises.

For that to work you would need a variety of sparring partners.

When you become stronger that your partner you will need an even stronger one so you can improve even more.

This theory works better with smaller men. Bigger men can't get the full advantage unless they start wrestling bears.

Tell us more about what you would and wouldn't do for a workout bro

Speed bag
Hewvybag
Hitting pads
Jump rope
Choreographed sparring sessions slowly building up speed and intensity without inflicting or taking damage
Balls to the walls wrestling
BJJ
Movement/yoga/gymnastics etc

You're welcome

i have legs more muscular than conor... i ve never left weight in my life

Speed bag
Hewvybag
Hitting pads
Jump rope
Choreographed sparring sessions slowly building up speed and intensity without inflicting or taking damage
BJJ

You're welcome

Badass

Conor have been lifting weights since he started. And he will keep lifting in the future as well.

I've seen videos of McGregor lifting weights...

You don't get legs like that without lifting weights.

Of course sparring/rolling > weight lifting, but weight lifting is still beneficial.
Not true, I basically never lift weights and have very big legs, I think it will be down to playing football all my life.

Theres video of Conor lifting weights, pushing and pulling a weighted sled and doing tons of pull ups.

So yeah not the best person to use as an example.

Conor have been lifting weights since he started. And he will keep lifting in the future as well.

A lot of that shit is for show - magazines, embedded, build up, etc. he said so himself. They had him flipping a goofy tire for a magazine shoot to which he was mocking and laughing about and said he never did it before.

lol no one in the world REALLY thinks conor never lifts weights or does strength/conditioning right? must be trolling

lol no one in the world REALLY thinks conor never lifts weights or does strength/conditioning right? must be trolling

I'm not saying he NEVER does strength and conditioning, I'm saying he focuses less on it than other fighters. That's a fact. His whole camp trains that way.

Look at the Russian national wrestling team.

Strenght and conditioning will always be important, in every sport. Certain muscles will never develop properly while sparring/rolling which can lead to muscle impairment and injuries. I really hope Conor doesn't trully believe he's some sort of MMA guru

Jones knows what he's doing.
Everyone who has done combat sports knows that strength training is important.
Speed bag
Hewvybag
Hitting pads
Jump rope
BJJ

You're welcome

Wow, an actually scientific approach! Now lift weights and you have a good program
I'm not saying he NEVER does strength and conditioning, I'm saying he focuses less on it than other fighters. That's a fact. His whole camp trains that way.

Look at the Russian national wrestling team.

Wtf are you talking about!? Wrestlers all over eastern europe lift free weights.

McGregor probably trains similar to everyone else in MMA, just tries to keep the image of being different to the public so people can see him as some revolutionary change in MMA. I hope you don't believe that his training mostly consists of dancing around with Ido Portal

Back