Conor McGregor, Floyd Mayweather Jr. Boxing Match in the Works

Why was Chuck Liddell so successful? I don't think he ever pulled off a sub for a win. And when he finally started losing, who was it against? Other punchers that could move. And what did those punchers become? Champions.

You don't know much about Chuck do you?

Chuck was so succesful because he used his very good WRESTLING background in reverse, he used it to stuff takedowns and stop other wrestlers taking him down. He could do this because he wrestled at a high level for years and knew he could outpunch everyone if he kept it on his feet. You don't do that without very good wrestling and lots of work on your takedown defense.

Even Holly Holm has spent years grappling and defending takedowns.

It's very rare that you get a pure stand up fighter stuffing takedowns from a world class grappler, it's why wrestlers are so effective in this form of fighting.

I'm trying to figure out, what "bigger" mma fighters are you talking about. The thread is about MacGregor vs Mayweather. And MacGregor isn't a grappler...

The original debate was about Demian Maia.

Keep up.

Sprawling isn't some secret technique man. There's plenty of sports that employ the same use of leverage to hold your ground or keep the other person off of your body. Football is a good example. I can tell you I've never wrestled in my life but didn't have any problem holding off wrestlers from takedowns.
I respect your point of view, don't have a problem with it.
But I honestly believe some of this attitude of invincibility of a grappler/wrestler/bjj vs someone with out that skillet is from people that haven't done anything else but that. Any athlete that can move and punch and understands decently how to use their leverage wont be a pushover. Sure there are a lot of effective traits to being well rounded from ground to standing, but there is no one answer to whether someone wins or loses. I think it's more on the individual than it is cut and dry, style vs style.

Sprawling isn't some secret technique man. There's plenty of sports that employ the same use of leverage to hold your ground or keep the other person off of your body. Football is a good example.
I respect your point of view, don't have a problem with it.
But I honestly believe some of this attitude of invincibility of a grappler/wrestler/bjj vs someone with out that skillet is from people that haven't done anything else but that. Any athlete that can move and punch and understands decently how to use their leverage wont be a pushover. Sure there are a lot of effective traits to being well rounded from ground to standing, but there is no one answer to whether someone wins or loses. I think it's more on the individual than it is cut and dry, style vs style.

In a regular scenario I would agree, everyone has a natural takedown defense, so against a guy who doesn't really know what he's doing, anyone can roll around and get up. The difference is when you try to "sprawl" from your football knowledge against an elite wreslter and BJJ guy, who will pick you up and slame you through the floor effortlessly.

And the thread is 27 pages long, does it look like we are talking about a Maywaether v Mcgreggor boxing match? The debate started when DeJulez claimed Demian Maia would miss 10 takedowns against Floyd and then get KO'd, I'm simply pointing out why that wouldn't happen.

In a regular scenario I would agree, everyone has a natural takedown defense, so against a guy who doesn't really know what he's doing, anyone can roll around and get up. The difference is when you try to "sprawl" from your football knowledge against an elite wreslter and BJJ guy, who will pick you up and slame you through the floor effortlessly.

And the thread is 27 pages long, does it look like we are talking about a Maywaether v Mcgreggor boxing match? The debate started when DeJulez claimed Demian Maia would miss 10 takedowns against Floyd and then get KO'd, I'm simply pointing out why that wouldn't happen.
Riiight, as if the football guy doesn't know how to pick said wrestler up as well and drop him on his head?!! And pretty effortlessly as well.

If all Maia tried was takedowns he might not have any luck. You can only land one if the guy is thinking about something else, like a punch or kick. It has to be set up. Otherwise a guy like Mayweather would just dart away out of range. The problem is, when you try to set up something to get the TD, that's when you get hit with something you've never felt before. I won't agree that it's not an even fight, (Maia vs Mayweather for example). Both fighters have their equal dangers.

Neither do I.

But unfortunately, world class grapplers who have experienced the defense of 'moving away' their whole life, and are used to taking down world class athletes who don't want to be take down. That's world class athletes who have trained for years not to be taken down.

The idea that Mayweather can just one punch a much bigger, world class grappler and be away with it is comical. As is the idea that Mayweather would run around and fight like he does in the ring.
True. It's a pointless discussion but it sounds like people think a boxer would stand static and a grappler couldn't duck a boxers punch. Laughable.

Holy moly I'm so glad you showed up. I've been needing some medical supplies, and a thinly-veiled ad on a mixed-martial arts forum is definitely where I'm going to look!
Where do these people come from?

It's gotta be Delaware. I've never met a person from Delaware before, but this Olivia lady sure sounds like one.
Hey. I spend most of my childhood in Delaware, and I didn't grow up to be sneaking in ads in forums.

Hey. I spend most of my childhood in Delaware, and I didn't grow up to be sneaking in ads in forums.

You're one of the good ones. Now I can say that I'm not some Delaware bigot because I'm friends with one.

Its not absurd at all.

If an elite BJJ practionior dives on Floyds ankles, there's a very good chance he doesn't land shit before he is on his back. Try landing a clean punch on someone who is completely protecting their head and exploding down to your ankles, the angle isn't there and a pro boxer is not accustomed to punching someone like that. If you throw a punch in that situation you aren't fighting the takedown and will just end up on your back quicker.

I was a 2x wrestling all-American and back in HS I got in a fight with this little thug, who supposedly trained boxing. I can tell you, he lit me up until I go a high crotch on him and even then I took a few more punches to the temple. So, yes a boxer can land on you. Diving for ankle is risky, too much room for failure and once the take down is completed you have to cover more space to get top control. But, a throw like a head and arm throw or even a duck-under will give you more chances to land in top control.

Back