Conditioning...Tactical Barbell Style

vrain

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Every time I log, it helps keep me accountable and I notice I stay on track with my training....so here goes. I fizzled out on my last log due to sheer laziness and summer activities distracting me lol.

This time around I'll be running a Tactical barbell conditioning protocol. TB starts with an 8 week base building phase...after this you switch to a more customized template for your goals. Either a variation of "Black" protocol, or "Green" protocol. Black is basically more HIIT + strength style.....green is more endurance based with lots more focus on LSS type stuff. I think the idea is black is for tactical police, and green was designed for military types, but I could be wrong.

Base building is mostly LSS work and strength-endurance. Max strength gets re-introduced in week 5. The first 4-5 weeks are 3-5 LSS sessions + 2-3 Strength-Endurance sessions. Weeks 4+ max strength training gets put back in the mix...as does HIC (high intensity conditioning). After the 8 weeks BB you switch to your continuation protocol for the rest of the year.

This will be my set up for 8 week Base-Building.

Strength-Endurance Circuit

2 Handed Kettlebell Swings (24kg)
Goblet Squat (24kg)
Dips
Barbell Row
Push-ups
Hanging Leg Raises
Hyperextensions

Weight is not important for this phase and is supposed to be roughly 15-30% of 1rm...high reps and shortened rest intervals are the goal. You can use a cluster in the book or put together your own...this is my own.

LSS Work

I'll be choosing these from the TB exercise 'Vault' in Part II as I go...but this is mostly the boring stuff....LSD running, swimming, rucking

Max Strength

This doesn't come into play until week 5...I'm undecided but I'm most likely going to go with Wendler 531 two day set-up, or TB Fighter template. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

HIC

These don't come into play until week 4 or 5 either...and I'll choose these from the 'Vault' as well when the time comes.

It's tough to measure progress with conditioning compared to weights...but I'll be using these markers to give me an idea of my progress. I am in pretty bad shape right now as you can see...let my training lapse badly over the summer.

Current Levels

5K time - 28 Minutes
Resting Heart Rate - 73
1.5m run - 11:38
Push-ups - 44
Pull-ups - 12

Did these over the past couple weeks...lots of room for improvement lol.

I'll be starting today, with Base-Building/Day 1....which is a strength-endurance session. I'll report after.

Nice! What continuation protocol are you planning on going with?

Day 1...Strength-Endurance:

Goblet Squat (24kg)
Dips
Barbell Row
Push-ups
Hanging Leg Raises
Hyperextensions

3 circuits x 20
60-90 secs btwn exercises/ 2-3 mins between circuits

Harder than it looked...the short rest intervals almost make it a cardio session. Kicked up the rest to 90 seconds for rounds 2-3.

Nice! What continuation protocol are you planning on going with?

Hey brother, I'll be going with black...but undecided on standard vs pro. You gonna take it for a run?

Can't do the full meal deal right now because of Muay Thai, but I'll be using some of the individual sessions whenever I have an extra conditioning day to play with. I'll probably do a full base building block when I take a break from the MT.

Day 2...Endurance

LSD Run x 30 Mins

Day 3...Endurance

Went with "Triples" today from the vault for my LSS session:

Treadmill run x 10 mins
Row x 10 mins
Battling ropes x 10 mins

= 30 mins slow steady state work to build up the gas tank.
No rest in between exercises.

Day 4....Strength-Endurance (SE)

Goblet Squat (24kg)
Dips
Barbell Row
Push-ups
Hanging Leg Raises
Hyperextensions

2 circuits x 20

Tapered down to two circuits today...presumably to ease up on the high volume as the week comes to an end. I am liking this approach...cuz next week total reps get raised, and increase in volume all around (LSS and SE).

Today's supposed to be a recovery day...foam rolling, massage, movement drills, stretching and light activity or rest.

Tomorrow (Day 6 of 7) is a "PR" day of sorts....this week LSS was 30 mins minimum, tomorrow you're encouraged to try and push the duration a little. Then next week all the LSS stuff gets a incrementally longer. So today acts as a rest & prep day for tomorrow.

Did a little foam rolling and stretching today...nothing fancy. Just getting into the rolling, and it hurts-so-good.

Sounds very interesting. Will be checking in, and good luck with your training!

Thanks guys...I'll try and stay consistent

Last session of week 1..."E" or Endurance category session. Rest day tomorrow.

Today's a mini-PR style workout. You're encouraged to do LSS for longer than the past week's assigned duration. This week was all 30 mins...next week it'll be bumped to 40.

For today, the guideline's are "35-120 minutes"

So I did a 45 minute LSD trail run. Nice way to end the week off...I find LSD running itself helps with recovery.

Day 1...Strength-Endurance:

Goblet Squat (24kg)
Dips
Barbell Row
Push-ups
Hanging Leg Raises
Hyperextensions

3 circuits x 30

Up to 30 from last week's 20 rep circuits...smoked

Day 2..."E" x 40 minutes

Went with Triples today at my gym for LSS:

Treadmill x 10 mins
Row x 10 mins
Heavy Bag x 10 mins
Jump rope x 10 mins

Everything easy pace & steady, as per the book...the idea being to work the aerobic zone 120-150bpm for 40 mins.

Day 3..."E" Session:

Kept it simple today....LSD trail run x 40 minutes.

Day 4...Strength-Endurance

Goblet Squat (24kg)
Dips
Barbell Row
Push-ups
Hanging Leg Raises
Hyperextensions

2 x 30

Perfect timing for the taper-off in volume...thought this was going to be a slog, but surprisingly after the first couple exercises things flowed very smoothly...it might be too soon, but feels like SE has already improved somewhat. Hit higher reps before rest-pausing this session.

Day 4...Strength-Endurance

Goblet Squat (24kg)
Dips
Barbell Row
Push-ups
Hanging Leg Raises
Hyperextensions

2 x 30

Perfect timing for the taper-off in volume...thought this was going to be a slog, but surprisingly after the first couple exercises things flowed very smoothly...it might be too soon, but feels like SE has already improved somewhat. Hit higher reps before rest-pausing this session.

Man I'm itching to start incorporating the SE tables. With a full kettlebell circuit methinks. Maybe in a couple months.

Man I'm itching to start incorporating the SE tables. With a full kettlebell circuit methinks. Maybe in a couple months.

Yeah...I've come to realize I've never actually trained strength-endurance like this with a plan and progression. It's been a weak link for years. It's like discovering Starting Strength all over again...but for strength-endurance lol.
Agreed, a kettlebell SE circuit would be perfect for the kickboxing and mma.

Back