Media Colby Covington: "I Was NEVER Offered Ian Garry Fight, Give Me Belal Muhammad"

I don't see it. I see a dude who wants to fight #2 to get a title shot. And not the #7, in hopes of then fighting another top contender, to get a title shot.

#2 is the quickest to the champ. If Ian was #2, he'd do it. but he ain't.
Ok keep playing dumb. I'm out.

Colby Covington wrestling and clinching with Belal Muhammad.

Colby Covington getting his face caved in by Ian Garry.

Hmmm, which would be the better fight to watch?

Ok keep playing dumb. I'm out.

Colby Covington wrestling and clinching with Belal Muhammad.

Colby Covington getting his face caved in by Ian Garry.

Hmmm, which would be the better fight to watch?
you said that already, yet you still respond.

colby wants the title, quickest path is through #2, it's that simple to realize.

better fight? kamzhat vs Leon.

he's right in the position, or otherwise they would have already announced garry vs. colby. it's not fantasy, it is reality. lol.
Colby would have to accept the fight for them to announce it.

Belal is ranked higher than Colby, the others are not.
Both Belal and Shavkat are ranked above Colby. JDM is right below him but has far more momentum and is closer to a title shot.
Colby had more ground control time and strikes I believe. He lost, but it wasn't the domination people here think it was.
He was dominated, he lost the first four rounds and only got top position in the fifth because Leon went for a sub. He's not an interesting title contender at this point.

His way to the title is putting in the work against Belal.
For the zillionth time, he's not in a position to get that fight. He has to fight down.
He's already ranked higher than shavkat.
No, he's not.

Going down to #7 and then hoping to fight another top 5, then to get a title shot will never happen.
That's how MMA works. You lose a non-competitive fight, you fight down. Look at how many times Gilbert Burns has fought down the rankings. Why are you arguing for Colby to get special treatment.

Usman fought Kamzhat at 185, a different weight, on short notice, he didn't have to do that to make any secure bid at the WW title. Burns doesn't resonate with americans like Colby does.
Usman had to fight a lower ranked fighter in a higher weight class. You're arguing for Colby to get special privileges and get thrown into a number one contender fight when no one else at welterweight has been coddled like that and literally no one is interested in a rematch with Leon. You're completely delusional about his place in the welterweight division.

I don't think Colby deserves anything. All i've ever said throughout this thread, is I get it. I get why Colby thinks that, for x reasons. It makes sense why he would call out Belal.

nothing has been solidified. He could definitely face someone lower than him. But all i've said is, i can see why he's calling out Belal. no mystery.

<Fedor23>
You're making up completely nonsense excuses and pretending like he's still in title contention. He's not. Deal with reality. He has to fight down. Interest in Colby is at an all time low. He's not gonna get any opportunities without proving he's still a force in the division. And Ian Garry is the best matchup he can hope for.

Colby should be thankful that there is even interest in him fighting Garry after that shit tier performance against Leon. He hasn’t beat a relevant fighter in nearly six years, if there was just a shred of meritocracy in this sport he wouldn’t even be ranked.
that's the thing, it was over when they got rid of jon fitch in terms of meritocracy.

i think what a lot of people are missing, is that there is a fanbase for colby that exists. and colby has to sell at some sort of margin, more than the others, hence the constant title shots. i'm not saying it's right. but i'm saying it's there and it's not going to go away suddenly.

i don't think ian garry helped himself at all with his wife's social media antics, geoff neal hypocrisy, and in general personality.

does it make sense? no. but i can see why colby is calling out belal.

Colby would have to accept the fight for them to announce it.

Both Belal and Shavkat are ranked above Colby. JDM is right below him but has far more momentum and is closer to a title shot.

He was dominated, he lost the first four rounds and only got top position in the fifth because Leon went for a sub. He's not an interesting title contender at this point.

For the zillionth time, he's not in a position to get that fight. He has to fight down.

No, he's not.

That's how MMA works. You lose a non-competitive fight, you fight down. Look at how many times Gilbert Burns has fought down the rankings. Why are you arguing for Colby to get special treatment.

Usman had to fight a lower ranked fighter in a higher weight class. You're arguing for Colby to get special privileges and get thrown into a number one contender fight when literally no one is interested in a rematch with Leon. You're completely delusional about his place in the welterweight division.

You're making up completely nonsense excuses and pretending like he's still in title contention. He's not. Deal with reality. He has to fight down. Interest in Colby is at an all time low. He's not gonna get any opportunities without proving he's still a force in the division. And Ian Garry is the best matchup he can hope for.
1 - colby said he was never offered the fight, was not even mentioned by the UFC.
2 - i've already said it all. my only point, I can see why Colby is calling out Belal. It's not hard.

FWIW Colby wouldn't even earn a title shot with a win over Belal, Shavkat, JDM, or Garry and he's behind all of them in line. He needs at least 2 top wins.

Words have consequences. Show me one other fighter (besides Sean Strickland) who called Ian Machado Garry's wife a whore.

You know, the love of his life and the mother of his first born son.

#FightTheFutureOrFuckOff

Covington looks like a scared little bitch right now.
She's 41 and Ian is 26. I just can't get passed that, lol. It's like she's his mother and the grandmom of his son.

She's 41 and Ian is 26. I just can't get passed that, lol.
Ok.
It's like she's his mother and the grandmom of his son.
Uh, it's nothing at all like that, but ok.
78317595-12809209-Anna_Lee_40_has_been_married_to_UFC_star_Ian_Garry_since_Februar-a-1_1701418961407.jpg

ian-machado-garry-layla.jpg

I'll allow it.

Everyone talked shit about Ian Garry, he was everyone's joke. If Garry was ranked higher, Colby would fight him. Colby wants a title shot, beating Ian Garry doesn't do that. He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. So that's why that won't happen.

Colby has more bargaining room/leverage than Ian Garry for sure. It's not a question of fight Garry or fuck off. Those are not his options.

It comes down to this. He needs to beat a higher ranked opponent, he knows he can't beat Usman, but thinks he has a chance against Belal. That's it. Beating someone below him like Garry does nothing. If he wins, he should have. If he loses, he's done. Which would you do?

It will be more interesting to see what the UFC chooses or forces.
It's sherdog, where none of the arguments have to make sense if it's a fighter you don't like. Colby's ducking the top 5, then when he calls out #2, he doesn't deserve a top 5 and should fight someone outside the top 5. Woodley was #5 when Colby beat him, Masvidal was #6, but somehow Ian Garry would be Colby's best win.

It's pretty common on here when it's a fighter posters don't like to want fights they can discredit if he wins. If Colby sucks and doesn't deserve his ranking, and Belal is ranked higher and definitely deserves his, then everybody that hates Colby should want to see him get wrecked by Belal, but they don't because they kind of think there's a pretty good shot Colby beats him.

He'll probably end up fighting Garry anyway and they'll have to just pull the bandaid and get Leon/Belal over with or put another title fight on the same card, Ian will get PTSD from the pressers and be too pissed to follow a gameplan and probably gas out, then Colby will be in the same spot he's already in with people saying the win isn't impressive.

I don't think anyone has ever earned a 4th title shot.
Faber lost 7 title fights

It's sherdog, where none of the arguments have to make sense if it's a fighter you don't like. Colby's ducking the top 5, then when he calls out #2, he doesn't deserve a top 5 and should fight someone outside the top 5. Woodley was #5 when Colby beat him, Masvidal was #6, but somehow Ian Garry would be Colby's best win.

It's pretty common on here when it's a fighter posters don't like to want fights they can discredit if he wins. If Colby sucks and doesn't deserve his ranking, and Belal is ranked higher and definitely deserves his, then everybody that hates Colby should want to see him get wrecked by Belal, but they don't because they kind of think there's a pretty good shot Colby beats him.

He'll probably end up fighting Garry anyway and they'll have to just pull the bandaid and get Leon/Belal over with or put another title fight on the same card, Ian will get PTSD from the pressers and be too pissed to follow a gameplan and probably gas out, then Colby will be in the same spot he's already in with people saying the win isn't impressive.

100%, you nailed it. bravo sir.

<RomeroSalute>

So sad. First he picked on Ian thinking he could regain his fans by challenging a new unlikeable character, but it didn't work because everyone wanted to see Ian KO Colby. Now he is after Belal, another favorite to be hated. Sorry, even fans who can't remember his name support him over you Colby. Retire gracefully. Get KO'd by Platty Mike in BKFC.

Considering that events happen on a timeline, two 'seemingly contradictory' things can both be true. Colby ducked the top five. Then Colby asked for a specific top 5 after it was too late for him to get it. It's not too different from Masvidal constantly running away from Leon and then wanting the shot once leon was a champion. You can't turn around then and say that Masvidal really wanted to fight Leon and that Sherdog are hypocrites for criticizing

People don’t think he deserves to fight someone in the top five because he has spent so much time avoiding them unless they were a complete fossil like Woodley. And as you pointed out Masvidal wasn’t even top five himself and was well past his prime when they fought.

Colby only has a few options. Go on a run at WW against guys climbing the ranks (unlikely), move down to LW (unlikely), or just do grudge fights to main event fight nights or co-main PPVs. Calling out Belal is pointless. Unless he's just using that call out to annoy Garry and build more animosity between them.

Colby only has a few options. Go on a run at WW against guys climbing the ranks (unlikely), move down to LW (unlikely), or just do grudge fights to main event fight nights or co-main PPVs. Calling out Belal is pointless. Unless he's just using that call out to annoy Garry and build more animosity between them.
They can just fight. There's really no reason to prolong it.

Back