Cobra Kai jiu jitsu and copyright...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
How did Mark Laimon get away naming his school after a popular fictional dojo/TV series?

The logo looks exactly the same:

untitled.png imagesOXZ4FA4T.jpg

It's not like John Kreese has the money for a lawyer.

They probably don't even know it exists.

Send an e-mail do youtube or whoever owns the rights.

Marc Laimon submitted John Kreese in a no holds barred tournament in 1991 and won the rights to the Cobra Kai name.

I guess that means that Serra was fighting out of the Miyagi-Do Dojo.

They probably don't even know it exists.

Send an e-mail do youtube or whoever owns the rights.

Cobra kai jujitsu is a famous MMA/Jujitsu name. What do you mean send an email or do youtube?

Cobra kai jujitsu is a famous MMA/Jujitsu name. What do you mean send an email or do youtube?

YouTube is making the new Karate Kid series.

True and its a damn good show!

But does that mean Marc Laimon has to stop using the Cobra kai name?

I don't know how that would play out legally. I just thought you were asking why YouTube might have a stake in the matter.

I don't know how that would play out legally. I just thought you were asking why YouTube might have a stake in the matter.

I checked it and noticed that, Marc Laimon owns the trademark while the TV series owns the copyright. Does this mean both can co-exist?

I always get trademark and copyright confused. Like who has the leverage...

I checked it and noticed that, Marc Laimon owns the trademark while the TV series owns the copyright. Does this mean both can co-exist?

I always get trademark and copyright confused. Like who has the leverage...

google for you

Trademark is just a logo, Copyright protects original works of authorship so is more than just a logo, for example its the whole notion/story of Karate Kid.

google for you

Trademark is just a logo, Copyright protects original works of authorship so is more than just a logo, for example its the whole notion/story of Karate Kid.

Then how can Marc Laimon use Cobra Kai name?

Then how can Marc Laimon use Cobra Kai name?

Probably cause no one representing the property has approached him over it. There’s a company here in London Ontario that uses the Mickey Mouse and Spongebob theme songs in their radio ads. It’s been going on for years only because the right person hasn’t heard.

Marc Laimon submitted John Kreese in a no holds barred tournament in 1991 and won the rights to the Cobra Kai name.
Laimon has bad knees Kreese would sweep the leg for an easy victory. Sport bjj player vs. a war hero.

Probably cause no one representing the property has approached him over it. There’s a company here in London Ontario that uses the Mickey Mouse and Spongebob theme songs in their radio ads. It’s been going on for years only because the right person hasn’t heard.

So if I had a cobra kai dojo, would I have to change its name or is there anyway both can co-exist through some legal loopholes?

So if I had a cobra kai dojo, would I have to change its name or is there anyway both can co-exist through some legal loopholes?

I couldn’t say for sure but I wouldn’t risk branding something I owned with the same name and similar logo to something that already exists, even if it’s fictional. If you ended up having to rebrand everything, that would be a huge pain in the ass.

No clue, maybe he just changed enough and considering its just one reference to a film before it became a series.

But he hasn't changed enough. Even the logo is EXACTLY the same!

The difference I am seeing is, Marc Laimon has the trademark while the series has the copyright. I wonder if they can co-exist if one has trademark and other copyright. Or the person with copyright has leverage?

I couldn’t say for sure but I wouldn’t risk branding something I owned with the same name and similar logo to something that already exists, even if it’s fictional. If you ended up having to rebrand everything, that would be a huge pain in the ass.

True, this show has gotten huge. Season 1 did well and Marc Laimons jujitsu logo and everything is exactly as the movie. No modification, same cobra, same color.

Back