CM Punk does NOT have "drive", "heart", or "courage".

djason1988

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Keep seeing rasslin fans saying how much of X-virtue Punk has, and it's just not true.

Anybody who had those qualities and had any serious interest in MMA would have been actually training the past 4 years instead of whatever Punk was doing. At 4 years of training, he should be a solid purple belt on the ground, have a strong grasp of fundamental wrestling technique, and a good Thai base (consistent guard, decent balance and footwork, etc).

Punk showed NONE of this. Even the most basic 101 stuff you pick up in your first 6 months. Pummeling, shrimping, basic defense off the bottom, balance. All nonexistent. And it isn't enough to say "well, he's just not talented". I've got 40+ year old men in my gym, who are overweight and have never been in a sport in their life, have these fundamentals down pat in a year, tops.

And Punk was a pro wrestler. No, it's not real fighting, but the guy was exercising every day and learning choreographed routines that required coordination. He just WASN'T TRAINING.

He's got a shitload of money.

Bad troll thread.

Yellow card for a waste of time.

All those things you mentioned are fine and dandy in training but it's different when you have to step in the cage for a REAL fight rather than just drills.

Keep seeing rasslin fans saying how much of X-virtue Punk has, and it's just not true.

Anybody who had those qualities and had any serious interest in MMA would have been actually training the past 4 years instead of whatever Punk was doing. At 4 years of training, he should be a solid purple belt on the ground, have a strong grasp of fundamental wrestling technique, and a good Thai base (consistent guard, decent balance and footwork, etc).

Punk showed NONE of this. Even the most basic 101 stuff you pick up in your first 6 months. Pummeling, shrimping, basic defense off the bottom, balance. All nonexistent. And it isn't enough to say "well, he's just not talented". I've got 40+ year old men in my gym, who are overweight and have never been in a sport in their life, have these fundamentals down pat in a year, tops.

And Punk was a pro wrestler. No, it's not real fighting, but the guy was exercising every day and learning choreographed routines that required coordination. He just WASN'T TRAINING.
You left out "skill" in your thread title.

I wouldn't say he has "drive", but certainly "courage" since he was willing to step into a fucking cage and fight at a high level with no skills. Stupid courage.

All those things you mentioned are fine and dandy in training but it's different when you have to step in the cage for a REAL fight rather than just drills.
If he's been actually training for 4 years, he should have loads of sparring experience. Dude should have been getting hit on a regular basis, and be fairly used to it

Bad troll thread.

Yellow card for a waste of time.
Not a "troll" thread at all, it's a fact. Dudes on here talking about how much heart and courage punk had, when he didn't have the heart/courage to go to the gym regularly

Shit thread.

Facts are facts: the guy has courage and heart. Not even for his UFC fights, but for spending 4 years or whatever going to Roufus Sport and actually sticking it out.

Do you know how many times he got his ass handed to him in training? How many times his mind must have said (and rightfully so): WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING HERE? And he pushed on. He made the walk. He got beat up and embarrassed. Took almost 2 year's worth of shit for it. Made the walk again. Got his ass kicked. Will take many years of shit for it.

The dude has heart and courage. Anyone who would even try to argue that is a moron.

The dude went hard for his dream. He failed, but such is life. Now he's being judged by a bunch of mouth breathers who couldn't summon the courage to talk to a woman lol

If he's been actually training for 4 years, he should have loads of sparring experience. Dude should have been getting hit on a regular basis, and be fairly used to it

Sparring is not a fight. I agree that he looked terrible for a guy that's been training that long but some guys can't put it together when they're out there in a real fight.

not to mention he said he had been doing karate and BJJ for a long time, on and off but eh.... dont buy it after that performance.

Sparring is not a fight. I agree that he looked terrible for a guy that's been training that long but some guys can't put it together when they're out there in a real fight.

Looking at clips from when he started training 4 years ago, it was obvious he's not an athlete. Slow, clumbsy and uncoordinated. Even if he wasn't used to the sport specific training you could tell he didn't have the foundation required to get decent at any sport.

100% agree. If you dedicate yourself for 2-3 years to MMA in your 30's and put in the hard work and sacrifice, you can actually accomplish a lot. And as you said, CM punk was working in a physically demanding sport. I think he just wasn't training hard as well, and he probably didn't check his ego at the door.

You can learn a lot in a few years, but the caveat is that you need to humble yourself. That's actually the meaning of white belt in martial arts: humility and open mindedness. Without this, you can't improve to a significant level. CM Punk thought he was better than he actually was, and he didn't train anywhere near hard enough to improve himself.

he spent 99% of that 4 years working on top game... better luck next time I guess!
<20>

Looking at clips from when he started training 4 years ago, it was obvious he's not an athlete. Slow, clumbsy and uncoordinated. Even if he wasn't used to the sport specific training you could tell he didn't have the foundation required to get decent at any sport.

IDK, I think *anyone* in CM Punks position from 4 years ago could have improved much more than he did. CM Punk just didn't humble himself, and he didn't train anywhere near hard enough.

He has courage but its stupid courage that comes out of his naivety. I really dont know who is he supposed to inspire.

I believe he tried..

It just didn't happen thru all the training.

The dude has heart and courage. Anyone who would even try to argue that is a moron.

Being delusional is not being courageous. Also, that part-time photographer carried him. That's the only reason this floor mop lasted 3 rounds.

Yeah lol I don't think he was a super star in the gym either I'm just saying it was probably even worse when he had to actually fight.

Back