Claudia Gadelha vs Karolina Kowalkiewicz set for UFC 212 (Poll)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Think Claudia wins it, but would prefer KK to win

Great to see a positive thread about this fight.
Of course a few 'WMMA haters' will come in, but most see what a great fight this is.

Yeah, this won't be the headliner (Aldo vs Halloway already is) so this is a 3 round fight.

Gadelha pretty much dominated Joanna for 3 rounds, Joanna-Lite (KK) has almost no chance.

lol she did not dominate Joanna for 3 rounds, she lost the fucking fight. wow

You mean like how she got away with a blatant soccer kick and things like that? I confess, I laughed.

:)

(hey, I cut my teeth on Vale Tudo pre-UFC, I am old)

I actually yelled "GOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!" when that happened, I had a flashback to the Pride days when the commentators would do that whenever there was a good soccer kick KO.

As for Claudia vs. Karolina, I think Karolina has a better chance than before since Claudia's current camp has toned down her early aggressiveness. In the Courtney Casey fight she really didn't do much in the first round, and if that happens again Karolina has a decent shot at stealing a round from her. With the old aggressive Claudia I'd give 3 round fight to her every time, but if she fights the same way as she did last time it's gonna be real close.

You mean like how she got away with a blatant soccer kick and things like that? I confess, I laughed.

:)

(hey, I cut my teeth on Vale Tudo pre-UFC, I am old)

She most certainly did get away with it, Casey had a lump/hematoma on her forehead where the kick landed to prove it, yet it was Casey's character that was slandered for it. <{nope}>

Tough fight to call. I'll being rootin for the Pollock, that is for sure.

She most certainly did get away with it, Casey had a lump/hematoma on her forehead where the kick landed to prove it, yet it was Casey's character that was slandered for it.

I am unaware of the details on this?

I am unaware of the details on this?
usa-today-9691956.0.jpeg

If it's 3 rounds KK should fire her manager. Nobody is beating Claudia over 3 rounds.

It's very, very unfortunate. I was hoping this would be a 5 rounder because then the odds would have flopped in Karolina's favor, but a 3 rounder really does play right into Claudia's strengths. Sigh. Obviously I'm supporting Karolina, and I do think she can still win, but the three rounds clearly favors Claudia.

That said, KK by close decision :)

Yeah, this won't be the headliner (Aldo vs Halloway already is) so this is a 3 round fight.

Gadelha pretty much dominated Joanna for 3 rounds, Joanna-Lite (KK) has almost no chance.

Karolina doesn't stand as square as Joanna, and she's constantly moving and not leaving her hips in line for a shot.

Also, I'm biased, but I do think what I said is still true.

This is one of the best fights to make at the top of the division, looking forward to this one. Im hoping Karolina deals with Claudia

lol she did not dominate Joanna for 3 rounds, she lost the fucking fight. wow

You sound upset. I only concern myself with the details of the one fighter that matters.

WBAf0ok.png

aDJwaJW.png

riZYNwX.png

EkRr44A.png

Fetch me a drink, ya Goof!

I like this fight, but I don't like where it's happening and really wished that Karolina was not fighting in Brazil which greatly favors Claudia imo. I don't know if the Brazilian commission will be honoring the revised Unified Rules for ref'ing/judging, which wouldn't favor Gadelha's style since TD's without advancing position, sub attempts, or gnp no longer scores, unless there is nothing else in a round to judge.

The revised Unified Rules would give KK a better chance at winning a UD in a 3 round fight. That said, I do think that Claudia has better technical striking/boxing than KK. When it comes to striking KK has footwork, pace, volume, and a decent clinch game, but lacks head movement, set ups, and finessed entries/exits. Karolina is crafty, tough, and has good defensive grappling though, but I would still have to favor Claudia, most especially since this fight is happening in Brazil.

warning, somewhat long reply following:

I expect Karolina to try to do similar to what she did to Faria: circle, feint, cut off her opponents momentum with jabs, pick her shots and get the fuck out of there.

ElBnjl.gif

j2Po34.gif

NxRz3v.gif

A few thoughts: It will be interesting to see who is the pressure fighter in this fight. Karolina use to be more content to circle all night, pick her shots, defend takedowns and fight in the clinch when needed, but since coming to the UFC she's slowly became more of a pressure fighter (stalking her opponent, cutting off the cage, trying to keep their back against the cage as she tees off). If she tries to bring that pressure against Claudia, it may backfire because Claudia is one of the few girls with great timing on her double leg, or it may tire claudia out and work in her favor, who knows.

In regards to the grapple threat: I'm confident that KK will hold her own defending takedowns in the clinch, and I think her lateral movement will make it difficult for Claudia to get a takedown in the open mat unless she times one of KK's entries with a blast double, which is possible, but many people have tried that against KK and haven't accomplished it yet; then again, Claudia is probably the best at it in the division. Karolina has a lot of experience fighting against girls who want to take her down—Mizuki, Faria, Markos to name a few—and she seems to have the right gameplan against that style, so I hope she comes in smart against Claudia.

Another factor is Karolina's knees in the clinch. We saw how quickly Rose, a fighter who has proven to go five hard rounds, tired after eating a few knees, so it's possibly Karolina can slow Claudia down with them

Long story short: I see ways for KK to win, but she needs to fight a very smart fight. Also, I'm biased and looking for positives from this match. I really wanted 5 rounds :(

Last edited:
Back