Media Chris Weidman compares Alex Pereira to Ben Askren: ‘It’s such a deficiency in what we’ve seen so far’

Is he aiming for a Pereira fight or something? Its not like he is wrong, but HIM would get KTFO'd by Pereira at LHW or even Adesanya at MW, both too much for Weidman at this point, prime Weidman? Probably.

Im saying if they give MVP just strikers en route to a title shot and just completely protect him from wrestlers/grapplers to showcase his skills there would be a lot of complaints from shertards.

Poatan wasn't protected as much, since good wrestlers were injured, unavailable or don't exist at 185/205 while he made his title run.

He was lucky in a way, but just laying on top of him won't do much when he gets up at 5:00 and then chops your leg down or left hook you into Bolivia in the next round.

wEYEdPOKEman has a point but he’s a whiny cheating goof and Alex is awesome so who cares

The world champion at 185lbs was Izzy, who tried and successfully took him down. Izzy just also sucks at grappling so he couldn't win the fight that way.

Then Jan took him down and attempted to win on the mat - anyone with brains will agree Jan is a very competent MMA grappler. He didn't quite get it done though, but nearly.

Jiri of course attempted to out wrestle Poatan, couldn't get anywhere with it and abandoned it. By this point Alex is showing pretty solid counter wrestling.

If prime Jones and DC were still in the 205lbs division, he would have to figure that out. They aren't, and he's fighting the best the division has to offer and they are unable to out grapple him to a win.
If we replace reality with hypotheticals, anything is possible!

He’s right. Alex is awesome but if he was matched with a great wrestler, he’s getting wrecked

Im pretty sure they're going to give him Ank next, and he has the best wrestling in the division.
If Alex beats him it should go a long way into silencing the critics to be fair sir.
I agree EXCEPT if the UFC pulls their shenanigans by making Ankalaev fight on short notice or injured.

As annoying as Weidman is I do get his point, for the most part, the LHW division has always been full of strikers historically

I don't like Weidman
But he is right

I know people here are biased and and don't want to agree on some things
Also, many of you are fans of different fans and get upset when someone says something bad about your fav boys (parasocial relationship at their best)

Alex is a great fucking striker
But he is very lucky that MW and LHW suck when it comes to wreslers
Same for Israel

Poirier is a good striker
Same for Gaethje
In another universe, with less wrestlers at LW, maybe they could have been champions and defend a few times
But guys like Khabib, Islam, Arman & co will beat them easily

There are many IFs
If Volk would have stayed to rugby, maybe Max would have been FW Goat and have more defenses than Aldo
It's not only about the fighter, it's about the current competition.

Prime chael beats Alex at 185 and 205 in my opinion. Pereira doesn’t have the submissions which is chael’s kryptonite
Small chance, Alex is a bit stronger than Chael, TDD would be fine, Alex is weighting 220-230lb.

Blahovic gave it all in first round to be able to hold Alex down, and was done. But would be interesting to see Alex vs some wrestler, just not sure who is there in LHW/HW.

Delusional Weidman strikes again, the guy is a glorified CAN and run his mouth about a legend like Pereira, Weidman really needs to STFU after that terrible cheating performance vs Silva

Link: https://www.mmamania.com/2024/4/24/...uch-a-deficiency-in-what-weve-seen-so-far-ufc

“It’s hard for me to get fully behind Pereira, because I do see such an opening with the wrestling, and he hasn’t really fought wrestlers who will take advantage of that,” Weidman said on Believe You Me. “It’s hard to deal with, but it’s so crazy and it’s such a deficiency in what we’ve seen so far.

“It’s almost like Ben Askren coming into the UFC and being able to just become a multiple-time champion with no hands,” he continued. “It’s like a striker looking at Ben Askren and thinking, ‘How the hell is this guy the world champion?’ He was able to do it in Bellator, he was able to do it in ONE FC. The guy had an unbelievable MMA career and had no striking at all. It looked awful but he was so good at wrestling he was able to do it.
lol at getting this butthurt over facts! Peireira hasn't been tested and has been given incredibly favorable match ups thus far. So what did teh Chris say that was so wrong|?

Spot on by the Chris.. He's basically kick boxing with guys who have 1/8 of his kick boxing experience in 4 oz gloves..

It's weird how all of a sudden everyone is cool with a striker of his caliber not having to test his TDD before everyone crowning him the GOAT.

If Michael Venom Paige was given the Poatan experience I'd give him a great shot at being the WW champion.

Who is supposedly meant to outwrestle him at LHW or even MW? Both lack wrestlers and even their wrestlers generally choose not to wrestle.
He has wins over multiple champions across two divisions. The only person who might at LHW is Ankalaev who is more likely to get himself subbed by Alex than actually pull off a non controversial win/loss these days.

Reactions: lsa
Delusional Weidman strikes again, the guy is a glorified CAN and run his mouth about a legend like Pereira, Weidman really needs to STFU after that terrible cheating performance vs Silva

When did you start watching MMA? Weidman is nothing like a can; he's just one of many, many fighters who lingered past his expiration date.

Spot on by the Chris.. He's basically kick boxing with guys who have 1/8 of his kick boxing experience in 4 oz gloves..

It's weird how all of a sudden everyone is cool with a striker of his caliber not having to test his TDD before everyone crowning him the GOAT.

If Michael Venom Paige was given the Poatan experience I'd give him a great shot at being the WW champion.

Blame all the UFC former champions he has beaten and ask them why they didn't wrestle or ... COULDN'T wrestle him.

10 years ago when I said I wasn't sold on teh Chris 'cuz his wins were kind of flukey, people got mad as hell and said I didn't know what I was talking about. Nowadays the Chris hate is just out of control and he's the ultimate can...LOL the mean streets of sherdog

Back