Media Chris Weidman compares Alex Pereira to Ben Askren: ‘It’s such a deficiency in what we’ve seen so far’

Mammothman

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Delusional Weidman strikes again, the guy is a glorified CAN and run his mouth about a legend like Pereira, Weidman really needs to STFU after that terrible cheating performance vs Silva

Link: https://www.mmamania.com/2024/4/24/...uch-a-deficiency-in-what-weve-seen-so-far-ufc

“It’s hard for me to get fully behind Pereira, because I do see such an opening with the wrestling, and he hasn’t really fought wrestlers who will take advantage of that,” Weidman said on Believe You Me. “It’s hard to deal with, but it’s so crazy and it’s such a deficiency in what we’ve seen so far.

“It’s almost like Ben Askren coming into the UFC and being able to just become a multiple-time champion with no hands,” he continued. “It’s like a striker looking at Ben Askren and thinking, ‘How the hell is this guy the world champion?’ He was able to do it in Bellator, he was able to do it in ONE FC. The guy had an unbelievable MMA career and had no striking at all. It looked awful but he was so good at wrestling he was able to do it.

I mean he’s not wrong. Ben in his prime would have never been WW champion because that division is/was stacked full of great wrestlers.
MW and above has always been weaker.
He’s speaking facts but Pereira is an excellent champion and a cut above Askren especially in fight IQ and stopping power. And coming from Weidman it does sound like he’s hating

No ones wrestled because he’s constantly ready to spring into a flying knee

And the Chris knows a thing or two about eating those

source.gif

Poatan would knee his head into his body like a turtle

Spot on by the Chris.. He's basically kick boxing with guys who have 1/8 of his kick boxing experience in 4 oz gloves..

It's weird how all of a sudden everyone is cool with a striker of his caliber not having to test his TDD before everyone crowning him the GOAT.

If Michael Venom Paige was given the Poatan experience I'd give him a great shot at being the WW champion.

Spot on by the Chris.. He's basically kick boxing with guys who have 1/8 of his kick boxing experience in 4 oz gloves..

It's weird how all of a sudden everyone is cool with a striker of his caliber not having to test his TDD before everyone crowning him the GOAT.

If Michael Venom Paige was given the Poatan experience I'd give him a great shot at being the WW champion.

The world champion at 185lbs was Izzy, who tried and successfully took him down. Izzy just also sucks at grappling so he couldn't win the fight that way.

Then Jan took him down and attempted to win on the mat - anyone with brains will agree Jan is a very competent MMA grappler. He didn't quite get it done though, but nearly.

Jiri of course attempted to out wrestle Poatan, couldn't get anywhere with it and abandoned it. By this point Alex is showing pretty solid counter wrestling.

If prime Jones and DC were still in the 205lbs division, he would have to figure that out. They aren't, and he's fighting the best the division has to offer and they are unable to out grapple him to a win.

Delusional Weidman strikes again, the guy is a glorified CAN and run his mouth about a legend like Pereira, Weidman really needs to STFU after that terrible cheating performance vs Silva

Link: https://www.mmamania.com/2024/4/24/...uch-a-deficiency-in-what-weve-seen-so-far-ufc

“It’s hard for me to get fully behind Pereira, because I do see such an opening with the wrestling, and he hasn’t really fought wrestlers who will take advantage of that,” Weidman said on Believe You Me. “It’s hard to deal with, but it’s so crazy and it’s such a deficiency in what we’ve seen so far.

“It’s almost like Ben Askren coming into the UFC and being able to just become a multiple-time champion with no hands,” he continued. “It’s like a striker looking at Ben Askren and thinking, ‘How the hell is this guy the world champion?’ He was able to do it in Bellator, he was able to do it in ONE FC. The guy had an unbelievable MMA career and had no striking at all. It looked awful but he was so good at wrestling he was able to do it.

Chis is accurately describing how shitty Alex was at grappling in the first fight with Izzy.

He's a consummate professional however and well trained by Glover, so his counter wrestling has massively improved in the last two years.

At this point Alex is going to be a problem for everyone, and Chris sounds like a moron. You need a certain type of self belief that borders on delusion to try and be a cage fighting world champion - and Chris has that like many of his peers - but the way his career spiraled into darkness, its nuked his brains.

His comments on fights and fighters is pretty out of wack these days.

As much as people want to shit on his opinion, I kind of agree with it. I imagine someone with good takedowns, wrestling, and grappling, would be able to control Alex and show how weak he is in that area. We're almost back in the STAND AND BANG era and kickboxing bouts.

He's right: Perreira has never faced someone who's equipped to expose a wrestling weakness. The UFC really employs favourable matchmaking for certain fighters so it's just one more aspect of how the UFC isn't trustworthy as a sporting organization. I'm finding it hard to be enthused for anyone in the UFC unless I can trust they've actually been challenged without the UFC's thumb on the scale.

Back