Chinese Moving To Australia

The Chinese and Indian population in Melbourne have skyrocketed in the last 10 years.

15+ years ago, there were few in Melbourne were mostly concentrated in Chinatown and few other isolated areas.

Now, they're everywhere. The whole city turned into Hong Kong and mini New Delhi and they're moving into the suburbs. You don't feel like you're in Melbourne when you walk around the CBD.

Last edited:
They'll keep the customs officers nice and busy with all the weird shit they'll bring in

th

Tiger penis

Oh it'll certainly add to it, but the fact that this show didn't even mention the overwhelming amount of "Mum and Pop" investors in Australia and their role in Australian housing prices with falling interest rates since the early 2000s, says it all. There's not a media outlet in Australia that doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to "Asian Invasion" stories, and who/what they appeal to.
"Sunday Night" is really not investigative journalism whatever they purport to be. Closer to "A Current Affair" or "Today Tonight" in terms of Australian media. They also have quite a history of shameless cross promotion as opposed to actual investigation (see their reports on the "Paleo Diet").

as much as the rising cost of housing annoys most millenials those boomers are aussies while the chinese are not. its not fair to place them in the same basket. why we should be in competion for what is ours is nothing short of treason.

de-reuglate any laws that allow this and confiscate all properties bought by non citizens.

fuck em.

as much as the rising cost of housing annoys most millenials those boomers are aussies while the chinese are not. its not fair to place them in the same basket.

de-reuglate and confiscate all properties bought by non citizens.

fuck em.

Millenials are home investors now too (generation Y typically referred to as starting in '80, '81 or '82), although it's common for them to own investment properties while still renting.
The thing is that there are way, way more "mum and pop" buyers in Australia than foreign investors (it boomed with falling interest rates). If you collapse housing values by banning them from owning homes, then that will crash property values and hurt more of them than it will hurt the Chinese investors (unless we just steal their property and give the money to home owners, but that's ridiculous and given Australia's economic ties with China it would destroy us all).
That's also the opposite of what it means to "de-regulate".
That's the challenge, they need to try and deflate prices without causing a crash. They'd be better off just limiting demand by further restricting immigration (it's grown a huge amount over the last year) although that would also have negative economic impacts.

It's about value protection.

Sydney property prices are totally removed from fundamentals but property in arguably the best city in the world will always have value. The yuan however is massively inflated.

There have been numerous measures to allow locals a chance.

If I bought a $1,000,000 apartment (good 2 beddder in nice but not amazing area) I would pay $40,500 stamp duty. A foreigner would pay $120,500.

Thats 8% tax on an inflated asset!!!

sydney thinks its new york.

cant believe the people pay these prices.

I posted about this in the past as new immigration laws make it harder to move to the US.

Only the most elite an people with the least problems can move to the states. Now Australia is growing in popularity with Chinese billionaire class.

Laws in states needed to be updated to avoid questionable people an deals. Now due to location an climate makes Australia a target with the wealthiest Chinese.

The issue is they just don't buy one house many like this woman acquire tons of land an houses driving the market upwards.

Something very similar to what happened in Southern California. Growing disparity of wealth has driven out many out of the nicest markets. This is causing local population to want action to address this issue.

They will buy all your track homes and rent them out to you.

Keep crushing unions and sending money over seas guys...

l@nd0 .

Millenials are home investors now too (generation Y typically referred to as starting in '80, '81 or '82), although it's common for them to own investment properties while still renting.
The thing is that there are way, way more "mum and pop" buyers in Australia than foreign investors (it boomed with falling interest rates). If you collapse housing values by banning them from owning homes, then that will crash property values and hurt more of them than it will hurt the Chinese investors (unless we just steal their property and give the money to home owners, but that's ridiculous and given Australia's economic ties with China it would destroy us all).
That's also the opposite of what it means to "de-regulate".
That's the challenge, they need to try and deflate prices without causing a crash. They'd be better off just limiting demand by further restricting immigration (it's grown a huge amount over the last year) although that would also have negative economic impacts.

banning the chinese would not cause any kind of housing crash infact bringing prices down to pre mining boom australia would make the market far more manageable for younger people. if baby boomers are using chinese investors to further increase the bubble then they will have too manage.

we need thailand-esque laws when it comes to property.

banning the chinese would not cause any kind of housing crash infact bringing prices down to pre mining boom australia would make the market far more manageable for younger people. if baby boomers are using chinese investors to further increase the bubble then they will have too manage.

we need thailand-esque laws when it comes to property.

You can guarantee that even though foreign investors aren't the majority, there's still enough of them to cause a price crash if all those homes suddenly hit the market. If you simply banned foreign investment from this date forward, I couldn't say where that would leave the market. Foreign investors are also heavily involved in new developments, so it'd hit both supply and demand as well as construction and the general economy.
You're talking drastic measures with undoubtably drastic effects. We haven't even seen the full effect of the Chinese' own capital controls, or our increases in land taxes, stamp duty surcharges and removal of Capital Gains Tax exemptions yet.

You know Thailand is right behind us in Chinese property investment right?

You can guarantee that even though foreign investors aren't the majority, there's still enough of them to cause a price crash if all those homes suddenly hit the market. If you simply banned foreign investment from this date forward, I couldn't say where that would leave the market. Foreign investors are also heavily involved in new developments, so it'd hit both supply and demand as well as construction and the general economy.
You're talking drastic measures with undoubtably drastic effects. We haven't even seen the full effect of the Chinese' own capital controls, or our increases in land taxes, stamp duty surcharges and removal of Capital Gains Tax exemptions yet.

You know Thailand is right behind us in Chinese property investment right?

it stops property investors asking for sky high prices hoping theres a chinese bidder in the crowd.

banning the chinese is the only sensible thing to do largely because they should have never been given access to property market from the beggining. i do not believe their dumping of property would have any effect infact i think there would be a buying frenzy.

frankly im certain our banks would actually welcome homeowners taking on more manageable debt rather than buying into an overinflated bubble. we need a property correction anyway.

no i was not aware that the chinese could buy homes in thailand.

Oh it'll certainly add to it, but the fact that this show didn't even mention the overwhelming amount of "Mum and Pop" investors in Australia and their role in Australian housing prices with falling interest rates since the early 2000s, says it all. There's not a media outlet in Australia that doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to "Asian Invasion" stories, and who/what they appeal to.
"Sunday Night" is really not investigative journalism whatever they purport to be. Closer to "A Current Affair" or "Today Tonight" in terms of Australian media. They also have quite a history of shameless cross promotion as opposed to actual investigation (see their reports on the "Paleo Diet").
For some reason 'paleo' promotors really grind my gears almost more than anything else. My own outrage and disgust at these promoters and guru's is only rivaled by promoters of slavery and genocide. I know it's not logical, but I get more outraged at Pete Evans than almost any living human alive today.

Australia is cool and all, but for starters:

th
th
th
th
th
th
th
th

th

Plus the worms are even huge:
th
The biggest animal threat here in my experience are swooping magpies. The only wild animal threat I've really experienced. Try riding a bike down a hill at 30mph while getting ruthlessly attacked by one of these vicious creatures is a terrifying experience.

Was this while Trudeau has been in office?
Trudeu Isn't much of a leftist policy wise at all. He's basically a run of the mill neo-liberal for the most part, who just plays up his image of being a leftist by using buzzwords and pandering.

Id take educated chinese over filthy backwater muslims in my country

The educated Chinese my not explode or fuck cattle but I think the complaint is they buy large swatts of land and just not develop it or poorly manage it they don't nescessarily move in they just buy stuff and it hurts the ecconomy in the long run its like they are hoarding stuff.

Trudeu Isn't much of a leftist policy wise at all. He's basically a run of the mill neo-liberal for the most part, who just plays up his image of being a leftist by using buzzwords and pandering.

Trudeu should not have "Mansplaining" that Woman!

On the good side maybe they’ll bring twenty first century technology, like air conditioning. You dip shits complain about global warming yet don’t have air conditioning or even ceiling fans

???

Don’t be stupid mate it’s the mom n dad investors duh

Far from it. That generation understood the value of saving and invest in property that they can afford. Unlike the millenials living paycheck to paycheck who are buying $500,000+ houses as their first property with less than 10% deposit. Mon n dad investors have other assets built over their lifetime that they can use if it came to the crunch. The ones that will lose everything are the young who spent more they can afford because they’re more concerned with how they appear than what they can afford.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-24/janda-the-myth-of-mum-and-dad-negative-gearers/5766724

People forget that the mum and pop investors survived the 80s with interest rates sub 20% and did without to make ends meet. This meant sacrificing their desires for luxuries. The idea of $6 soy latte and the trendy cafe culture would have made them shake their heads in amazement at the blatant stupidity.

I'm on a phone so I'm trying not to get involved but there have been a couple of pieces done on the link between the immigration policy our politicians love, the pressure on rents in our inner cities and the rise in homelessness living on the streets.

Like most things its an accumulation of factors and fixing it will be difficult. Maybe remove the negative gearing benefits on a 2nd investment property, lower immigration and refugee intake and futher change legislation from more than a tax perspective i.e. make it harder for non citizens to own more than 2 properties

These Chinese investors are smart. Buying up overseas properties and investments for two reasons:

1. The eventual crash of the artificially inflated yuan.
2. They know they live under a government that can confiscate their businesses and finances at any time. Having stuff stashed overseas gives them an escape route,

Back