Chinese Moving To Australia

asian gentrification.. deal with it snowflakes

chances are there are plenty of people bitching and moaning who have no qualms buying up cheap property in minority neighborhoods and gentrifying the shit out of it..

chances are there are plenty of people bitching and moaning who have no qualms buying up cheap property in minority neighborhoods and gentrifying the shit out of it..

The Chinese and Indian population in Melbourne have skyrocketed in the last 10 years.

15+ years ago, there were few in Melbourne were mostly concentrated in Chinatown and few other isolated areas.

Now, they're everywhere. The whole city turned into Hong Kong and mini New Delhi and they're moving into the suburbs. You don't feel like you're in Melbourne when you walk around the CBD.

So?

What's wrong with seeing more Chinese and brown people?

People forget that the mum and pop investors survived the 80s with interest rates sub 20% and did without to make ends meet. This meant sacrificing their desires for luxuries. The idea of $6 soy latte and the trendy cafe culture would have made them shake their heads in amazement at the blatant stupidity.

Unsurprisingly, there were nowhere near as many mum and pop investors in the 80s, and it was a different crowd (in terms of income to debt ratio).
Given the usual reticence and optimism of the RBA, you have to pay attention when the Governor outlines issues.
Keep in mind the unusually high percentage of Australian mortgages which are on variable rates.

Of the housing price increase across Australia, Chinese investment is calculated by Oxford BIS to be responsible for around 1%, although it's focused in particular areas.

Last edited:

in australia ?

do any other australians support confiscating all chinese owned property ?

i wonder if this has any traction.

Unsurprisingly, there were nowhere near as many mum and pop investors in the 80s, and it was a different crowd (in terms of income to debt ratio).
Given the usual reticence and optimism of the RBA, you have to pay attention when the Governor outlines issues.
Keep in mind the unusually high percentage of Australian mortgages which are on variable rates.

Sigh, I'm on my phone so will not be playing this game with you again today.

What is your or your links definition of investors?

Buying a bloody house makes a mum and dad investors and as such there were a lot.

I noticed you mentioned immigration playing a part of this housing crisis. I hope you remember this when next on your self important soapbox that theres not an immigration/refugee problem.

Out of curiousity how old are you and do you work for a living or primarily paid by the government?

Sigh, I'm on my phone so will not be playing this game with you again today.

What is your or your links definition of investors?

Buying a bloody house makes a mum and dad investors and as such there were a lot.

I noticed you mentioned immigration playing a part of this housing crisis. I hope you remember this when next on your self important soapbox that theres not an immigration/refugee problem.

Out of curiousity how old are you and do you work for a living or primarily paid by the government?

So what you mean is you won't address arguments, you'll just make personal attacks? Figures.

No, property investors aren't residents in the property they are buying. Owner-occupied loans versus investment loans. I've always been against "big Australia", and primarily because of the increased environmental load and lack of infrastructure investment to match the population increase. I'm 40 and I've been working since I was 15.
Try again.

Of the housing price increase across Australia, Chinese investment is calculated by Oxford BIS to be responsible for around 1%, although it's focused in particular areas.

can we even trust these figures. those areas are the nicest areas in australia not some tucked away suburb that is speculated to rise.

id wager the reason why any decision was dragged out was because those homes that the chinese buy are tied in with wealthy politcians and their cronie business associates.

you mentioned any confiscation would mean a collapse in the market but if the chinese are only buying in the posh areas and they only make up 1% then the chances of doom are minimal.

remember those fudged swedish numbers in another thread....

can we even trust these figures. those areas are the nicest areas in australia not some tucked away suburb that is speculated to rise.

id wager the reason why any decision was dragged out was because those homes that the chinese buy are tied in with wealthy politcians and their cronie business associates.

you mentioned any confiscation would mean a collapse in the market but if the chinese are only buying in the posh areas and they only make up 1% then the chances of doom are minimal.

remember those fudged swedish numbers in another thread....

Well BIS Oxford Economics is about as highly regarded as it gets in industry research. 1% of the price increase, but that's still a lot of homes to flood the market with in the case of your idea of just confiscating them or forcing them to sell. It would certainly crash prices in Melbourne and Sydney.

Well BIS Oxford Economics is about as highly regarded as it gets in industry research. 1% of the price increase, but that's still a lot of homes to flood the market with in the case of your idea of just confiscating them or forcing them to sell. It would certainly crash prices in Melbourne and Sydney.

ive never heard of the BIS oxford but corruption is real and they have likely been infiltrated by chinese saboteurs...

crashing prices in sydney and melbourne would be a welcomed change.

we are on different pages here and it comes down too mum and pop or chinese investors hoping that i buy their overpriced properties to fund their retirement.

a crash is what i want and the first victim ideally will be the chinese.

confiscating is too commie-esque so forcing them too sell would be fine.

Last edited:

we are on different pages here and it comes down too mum and pop or chinese investors hoping that i buy their overpriced properties to fund their retirement.

confiscating is a too commie-esque so forcing them too sell would be fine.

This is crazy. Australia and many other countries would be destroyed without Chinese immigration and investment. Think of the damn economy.

This is crazy. Australia and many other countries would be destroyed without Chinese immigration and investment. Think of the damn economy.

ah geez lolz bullshit. your kidding yourself if you think chinese investment holds up the economy, its what they buy. just the same as americans purchasing chinese made goods is what holds up yours.

confiscating is a too commie-esque so forcing them too sell would be fine.

It would be far from fine, even if you don't care about "mum and pop" investors in those cities. Not sure if you've been paying attention, but the Government really fired up it's criticism of China over the past year and the Chinese weren't shy about responding with implied economic threats.
Like the mass reporting in China of racist attacks against Chinese students in Australia, which amounted to one assault and some posters.
Australia is always caught between our Anglo-American cultural and military ties and our geographic and economic reality.

I'm 40 and I've been working since I was 15.

Is it a gig once a week or a painting sold to friends and family twice a year?

I mean, I don’t know if I’d call that working Rupert

So what you mean is you won't address arguments, you'll just make personal attacks? Figures.

No, property investors aren't residents in the property they are buying. Owner-occupied loans versus investment loans. I've always been against "big Australia", and primarily because of the increased environmental load and lack of infrastructure investment to match the population increase. I'm 40 and I've been working since I was 15.
Try again.

You genuinely make me laugh out loud, when I insult someone or make personal attacks both of us know and there is absolutely no doubt. I cant see how I've attacked you personally but whatever. The personal question was for my own curiousity as I see you as an academic being paid a salary by the government.

Try again? You need to fix your insecurities, see above for how I percieve you.

As for not addressing arguments its extremely hard when you're on a phone to do anything properly esp. Pasting links etc. I stated my opinion and what I felt were constructive simple to apply solutions.

If you want to pick a fight I'm usually always happy to oblige but I will not do so with 1 arm tied behind my back(phone, not computer). I can recommend any mindfulness book as a good starting place for enabling you to see whats really driving you, let go of the past lad and live the now.

Back