Chances Shogun makes it out of the first round?

Russ82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Volkan is a beast. How does Shogun survive this one?

Hmmm...I dunno...Volkan did call Shogun his idol.

Maybe that respect bleeds through and makes him cautious. Stranger things have happened.

Shogun used to have good takedowns, a good top game and some of the best GnP around, so that's the way, as Volkan's poor off his back.

But Shogun's been brawling the last few years. Right overhands and not much more. It'll probably go down that way, his chance is to land a big right unless he brings his old tricks back.

Shogun has some chin left, also can dish it out.

I think Volkan is rightfully the favorite and will most likely tower above Mauricio. I'm worried for Rua, but if anyone can win a fight like this it is him, if he hurts you then he will put you away.

Volkan needs to mind his P's and Q's, but I do have him as a favorite.

Prediction: Someone gets KO'd in the 2nd Round.

Shogun used to have good takedowns, a good top game and some of the best GnP around, so that's the way, as Volkan's poor off his back.

But Shogun's been brawling the last few years. Right overhands and not much more. It'll probably go down that way, his chance is to land a big right unless he brings his old tricks back.
I'm with you on this, so annoyed to see that part of his game just disappear overnight (after the knee surgeries specifically).

His most dangerous weapons were always his kicks too, where the fuck have they gone?

I miss the old Shogun :(

Depends on how Volkan fights. If he comes out like he did against DC he might well end it in the first round, but there's a lot more danger for him. Based on interviews he's trying to widen his game.

Also it's unclear where Shogun's chin is at. Volkan will definitely touch Mauricio, he's deceptively fast and has wonky footwork. If Mauricio can take the shots he'll be in a much better place.

Shogun is gonna counter Volkan coming in with a left hook to the chin.
shogun-ko-b.gif

Shogun was one of my guys back in the day but Volkan will sleep him in the first round, that dude has crazy power.

Volkan is a beast. How does Shogun survive this one?
Only with wrestling. If he starts banging, it'll be lights out for Shogun in the first. However.. if he gets take down, anything is possible...

Maybe that respect bleeds through and makes him cautious. Stranger things have happened.

Shogun has some chin left, also can dish it out.

I think Volkan is rightfully the favorite and will most likely tower above Mauricio. I'm worried for Rua, but if anyone can win a fight like this it is him, if he hurts you then he will put you away.

Volkan needs to mind his P's and Q's, but I do have him as a favorite.

Prediction: Someone gets KO'd in the 2nd Round.

Depends on how Volkan fights. If he comes out like he did against DC he might well end it in the first round, but there's a lot more danger for him. Based on interviews he's trying to widen his game.

Also it's unclear where Shogun's chin is at. Volkan will definitely touch Mauricio, he's deceptively fast and has wonky footwork. If Mauricio can take the shots he'll be in a much better place.

Shogun is gonna counter Volkan coming in with a left hook to the chin.
shogun-ko-b.gif

Volkan by you are all on drugs and Shogun is old........

As long as they keep those skateboard saboteurs & Chael from cage side there is a chance

I don't think Volkan is a beast. He looked terrible in his longest UFC bout against OSP (lost that decision imo) and followed that up with 2 extremely bizarre stoppages over journeyman in a combined 1:10 which seems impressive on paper but really gives us very little indication of his overall skill for a 15 min fight. Besides his odd power on punches that barely landed, his overall game seems pretty mediocre.

Modern day Shogun is obviously way past his prime but Volkan isn't exactly a world-beater and this is the most winnable fight out of the top 5 for Shogun IMO. The fact that a fighter like Volkan is ranked top 5 tells you how completely barren the weight class is now.

I can honestly easily see either of them knocking each other out in the first. Both hit very hard and come to bang.

Doesn't end well for Shogun this one

Yeah....that's pretty bad news. Shogun has been around long enough to be the new blood's idol.

Back