Chael Sonnen's resume

I could not imagine him beating frank mir or fedor tho, at least those guys are in or around his weight class
I could see him beating fedor. Fedors chin and speed have really deteriorated.He still likely hits like a truck if he can land that right on the feet, but Gnp from the top would work well if he can avoid the trademark fedor armbar Fedor will not have much of a size advantage. But thats where I think Chael will Struggle if he fights Frank. Franks abilties and liking of grappling, combined with being the bigger guy could be problematic for the 220lb chael.

Chael started his pro mma career less than a year after Wanderlei did
He had 1 random regional circuit fight in 97 and didn't fight again until 5 years later in 2002. His first non-regional opponent was in 2003.
Wanderlei was legitimately a professional fighting other professionals from 98 until today. Mike van Arsdale was considered one of the most elite wrestlers in MMA at the time. Chael would tell you the same.

Last edited:
The American Gangster is one of MMA's GOATS.

Deal with it, virgins.

pin2_large.png

Chael was merely seconds away from being the GOAT. No sub from Anderson, survive the round against Jones.. Would have won both fights. Double champion, wins over 2 prime GOATs. Least lucky but most badass guy to ever compete.

Chael has done very well for himself. Always puts up a fight and comfortable enough with himself to lose cuz he can stay relevant.

Doesn't botter because the wins nowadays count for nothing since they're all pretty much retired.

The Shogun loss was hard to see though.

Chael isn't really in a lower tier than most of those fighters with wins over Marquardt, Okami, Bisping, Shogun etc. and almost beating Anderson. He's just less respected because he isn't a striker lol... and well he traditionally fought lighter yeah, but he was a big MW anyway and Wand/Shogun aren't big LHWs.

I mean it's not like Chael is young

Look at the damage he's taken in his career compared to some of those guys...injuries also add up. Wear and tear is real, these guys have CLEARLY regressed a lot more than Chael.

I'm a Chael fan but to be fair, he beat very washed up versions of Rampage, Shogun, and Wanderlei. It's not the same as if he had beaten those three guys ten years ago. He still has a solid resume though with wins over Bisping, Marquardt, Okami, Stann, etc.

Look at the damage he's taken in his career compared to some of those guys...injuries also add up. Wear and tear is real, these guys have CLEARLY regressed a lot more than Chael.
I think Chael would have stood a good chance of beating Wand and Shogun at any point, it may be blasphemy to striker worshipers but they have lost to wrestlers before. Rampage though, prime Rampage seems like he would have been a tough matchup for Chael but he has lost ALL of his wrestling...

I think Chael would have stood a good chance of beating Wand and Shogun at any point, it may be blasphemy to striker worshipers but they have lost to wrestlers before. Rampage though, prime Rampage seems like he would have been a tough matchup for Chael but he has lost ALL of his wrestling...

Wandy, Shogun in their primes (Well Wandy was arguably slightly past his at the time) have taken out some great wrestlers in their own right. Arona, Hendo, Yoshida, Randleman to name a few

And yea, I think Prime Rampage is an absolute nightmare matchup for Chael. The fat tub of shit we see known as Rampage today is just embarrassing.

Wandy, Shogun in their primes (Well Wandy was arguably slightly past his at the time) have taken out some great wrestlers in their own right. Arona, Hendo, Yoshida, Randleman to name a few

True but Wand is 1-1 against Arona and Hendo and lost to Tito so Chael having a chance seems reasonable.

The fat tub of shit we see known as Rampage today is just embarrassing.
Ouch, he's just a black beast! :D

Wrestlers always do better at old age than strikers. It has been like that forever. Without the random tests, it is also much easier for the older guys to stay competitive.

But you are wrong about Chael being a mid level fighter. He has always been world class, and a top ranked fighter for years, but I don't see him beating Mir or Fedor.

I actually think he would beat Frank Mir now that I've had time to really think about it since it's a real possibility that they fight next. Frank is a submission beast, so I actually think Chael would opt to keep it standing. Frank is not great at offensive wrestling and Chael would be so much faster than Mir on the feet that I think he would pick him apart while avoiding any big shots or takedowns from Mir. Chael's got some decent striking that he displayed once again against Rampage. He prefers to wrestle, but against a guy as dangerous and strong as Mir, I don't think he'd want to try to spend three rounds in Frank's guard. I'd take Chael by UD in a standup fight.

His win over Stann was the best I ever saw him look. He straight up beat him down and subbed him then delivered one of the GOAT promos ever.

He had 1 random regional circuit fight in 97 and didn't fight again until 5 years later in 2002. His first non-regional opponent was in 2003.
Wanderlei was legitimately a professional fighting other professionals from 98 until today. Mike van Arsdale was considered one of the most elite wrestlers in MMA at the time. Chael would tell you the same.

Fair point.

He hasnt taken much damage ir sustained serious injuries, his style like Randys leads to longevity, plus he was alot smarter with his doping (he learnt from the best )

The biggest arms in oregon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back