Chael Sonnen : Sambo sucks, Khabib is a wrestler, not a Sambo player...

This

h12DB7BAE
putin-pic.jpg

Fedor was accomplished in Judo.
Khabib wasn't in wrestling or judo
That would be a good point in the vast majority of cases but not in Khabib's. He was trained by and with the world's very best wrestlers and some really high level judoka. Khabib trained with guys like Sazid Sazidov for most of his life. Supposedly he stopped competing in wrestling at the cadet level but continued to train at the highest level. If not for Khabib's desire to do MMA, preference for sambo, and extreme depth of wrestling talent in Russia, he would be easily been a highly credentialed wrestler.

I don't need a guy who's lost 9 times out of 15 to tell me how sambo sucks.

Ah, is Cheal a judo hater?

There are a bunch of gold medals to be won for the US if Judo is so easy and the competition sucks.
Yeah he famously said it sucks. Still salty that chilhood Judoka Demian Maia threw him on his head I suppose.

LOL

Chael obviously has not seen the footage of Khabib off his back (which admittedly is rare).

I agree that Khabib uses a wrestling-heavy style, but he doesn't just pull his sub game from 'wrestling', or his arse. Sambo is a LEGIT martial art, and not to be trifled with. Their leg / foot attacks are gnarly.

Khabib is wrestling-heavy with his style, but even there, he uses a lot of trips, throws, and subs that are a combination of traditional wrestling AND Sambo.

What say you here....Is Shael correct that Khabib is using primarily pure wrestling with little Sambo, or is his style a blend of the two grappling styles?

I wouldn’t take Chael seriously.
Show any of these to him he taps.687B9574-8141-4C6E-A6DA-E54613347BCB.jpeg
BAA92176-F7FC-4B92-A74B-BCC2DC7833EE.jpeg
4189B24C-26FF-4E57-A1D7-D4D75EA60E5E.jpeg

Usually agree with Chael's vids but disagree here and disagree with his one on Bisping / Rockhold 3. I also disagreed with his one on Lombard as well.

Still sub'd and look forward to the vids

Chael full of shit as always, Sambo is probably the best sport to have as a base, it brings everything and prepares you very well, specially the bigger men, this year world champions and contenders in the podium were all very accomplished and competitive MMA fighters.

c60040e04ce291463326ab804804dae1.png

Left to right: Viktor Nemkov, Mikhail Mokhnatkin, Ivan Shtyrkov and Khadis Ibragimov. All top LHW prospects.

DXiP0ApX4AEEZWr.jpg:large

Left to right: Kirill Sidelnikov, Valentin Modalvsky, random guy and Denis Goltsov. 3 good heavyweights.

Not sure why anyone would still listen to Chael.
He either lies, e.g. when he tried to hide his cheating and because he's a horrible attention whore.
Or he is just plain wrong, e.g. 99% of his fight predictions.

And that's a fact.

That would be a good point in the vast majority of cases but not in Khabib's. He was trained by and with the world's very best wrestlers and some really high level judoka. Khabib trained with guys like Sazid Sazidov for most of his life. Supposedly he stopped competing in wrestling at the cadet level but continued to train at the highest level. If not for Khabib's desire to do MMA, preference for sambo, and extreme depth of wrestling talent in Russia, he would be easily been a highly credentialed wrestler.

This is ridiculous. There's no ifs or could've or should've, unless we can talk for hours on end. The facts are, this guy has no recorded accomplishments whatsoever in wrestling. Period. Maybe if focused on BJJ, maybe he's next Garcia. Maybe if he focused on wrestling, maybe his next Saitiev. Maybe if he focused on Judo, maybe he's next Reiner.

I am just sick and tired of this narrative for any fighters that is good in MMA and fans point to that fighters if he focused on one aspect of it, he would have been amazing. Guess what. He wasn't in that field, he isn't in that field, and he would never be.
These are facts.

Of course.

But there's not a single pure wrestler, boxer, kickboxer, judo player, or jiu-jitsu player either.

That’s why Floyd will change the game, if he decides to bless the inferior octagon with his talents. He will KO McGruber in historic fashion and send him packing back to the end of his rainbow.

Floyd can’t even read and he beat McGregors ass already. Lmao! Hahahahahaha. Imagine that? Letting a remedial beat you up! Lmfao Omg what a cuck..

War Khabib

Tootles!

LOL

Chael obviously has not seen the footage of Khabib off his back (which admittedly is rare).

I agree that Khabib uses a wrestling-heavy style, but he doesn't just pull his sub game from 'wrestling', or his arse. Sambo is a LEGIT martial art, and not to be trifled with. Their leg / foot attacks are gnarly.

Khabib is wrestling-heavy with his style, but even there, he uses a lot of trips, throws, and subs that are a combination of traditional wrestling AND Sambo.

What say you here....Is Shael correct that Khabib is using primarily pure wrestling with little Sambo, or is his style a blend of the two grappling styles?

Absolutely correct. At my old MMA gym, we had a few Sambo guys (Sambo here in eastern Europe is huge). I whooped them. Freestyle wrasslers are much worse as they can TD you much more effectively. Sambists seem to rely too much on clinching up first (kind of like judo. Sambo is 50% judo and 50% wrestling, to put it bluntly).
Especially since I’m predominantly a striker, freestyle wrestlers are much worse opponents to me than sambists.

Back