Chael Sonnen explains why Cody Garbrandt's team is doing poorly compared to TJ Dillashaws

I agree with Sonnen here, obviously a good coach matters and I agree TJ is the better coach this season by far, but ultimately there's so little time with these guys that they either have it, or they don't by this stage.

It's like cramming for a test an hour before - if you don't know it now you ain't gonna know it.

I see your point about certainly trying to cram for a test with this 6-week mini-tournament setup, however I still believe Cody has made poor choices as a coach which has pretty much caused his team to get swept.

He did a poor job evaluating the fighters before he picked his team.

When he made his team, he cares more about himself and looking like a toughguy then motivating his guys to perform.

When it was his chance to make the fight matchups he didn't effectively study his opponents weaknesses and made bad matchups for his fighters

His assistant coaches that HE picked are a bunch of whiny diva brats. His fault.

Worst coach. He planned poorly for this.

We are all friends here. Be honest. Are you telling me that you don't think Cody has completely embarrassed himself doing this show? We don't see enough of his coaching but not cornering his guys but yelling poor advice from the bleachers is Carwinesque. The guy can't interact with the other team without escalating it to a physical confrontation. Him and Alpha-Male can't stop talking about team loyalty, the they bully and force Hayder into the only fight he didn't want round 1 because it was his team mate. Hangin with the boooyyyyzzzzz. Even results, his team is winless. Can you give me even a single Cody positive from this season so far?

All i know is I picked Cody to be champ when I seen his fight against Almeida, was researching his old fights and I knew his boxing background would embarrass Cruz with his homemade footwork. I practically campaigned for his title shot through multiple forms of social media even because I already knew he was ready to handle Cruz. Sure TJ is better coach but these guys aren't learning anything new from these TUF coaches. they've all been in the game for a long long time, half have even been in the UFC already.
As for a Cody positive, sure, he has stuck by his team, he doesn't care if it makes him look like the bad guy, he knows more about the situation than either of us. I think the fact that he is hot headed is part of the reason he is champ, a perfect blend of skill and raw emotion.
It's a reality show, everything is edited and it was edited to sell the fight, they needed a bad guy, and TJ is all too willing to play the good guy role, it's pretty obvious to me TJ is being fake like he was when he left the team that made him champ for a little bit of coin like Judas.

All i know is I picked Cody to be champ when I seen his fight against Almeida, was researching his old fights and I knew his boxing background would embarrass Cruz with his homemade footwork. I practically campaigned for his title shot through multiple forms of social media even because I already knew he was ready to handle Cruz. Sure TJ is better coach but these guys aren't learning anything new from these TUF coaches. they've all been in the game for a long long time, half have even been in the UFC already.
As for a Cody positive, sure, he has stuck by his team, he doesn't care if it makes him look like the bad guy, he knows more about the situation than either of us. I think the fact that he is hot headed is part of the reason he is champ, a perfect blend of skill and raw emotion.
It's a reality show, everything is edited and it was edited to sell the fight, they needed a bad guy, and TJ is all too willing to play the good guy role, it's pretty obvious to me TJ is being fake like he was when he left the team that made him champ for a little bit of coin like Judas.

Alpha Male

2333943088_8b3d3a221f_o.gif

Sir you are drunk on it. Editing? They must have cut out all the calm thoughtful Cody. Meditatin with the booooyyyyyzzzzzz!!! I still don't even know what they are talking about with TJ being fake, by what sitting there. Is he secretly a hot headed jackass like Cody.

Alpha Male

2333943088_8b3d3a221f_o.gif

Sir you are drunk on it. Editing? They must have cut out all the calm thoughtful Cody. Meditatin with the booooyyyyyzzzzzz!!! I still don't even know what they are talking about with TJ being fake, by what sitting there. Is he secretly a hot headed jackass like Cody.

Speak for yourself. Backing Cody this long has been a real eye opener. It doesn't matter who he fights, insecure people will hate the guy no matter what he does. People just love to hate on the guy, I see so many people talking shit about the fact that the guy has neck tattoos.. I've had my neck tatted for about 13 years and never heard one man say something negative about it, only heard women compliment them.

People will find a reason to hate on someone. The guy took a kid who survived years of chemotherapy to all his UFC fights, won the belt for him and strapped it around his waist and yet here everyone is hating on the guy because he has beef with an ex teammate

TJ is a proven liar, he swears he was never knocked out, but Matt Serra admitted to seeing the video. I guarantee you TJ and Duane would release a tape of him whooping Garbrandt in practice if they had one. Only reason Cody ever brought it up is because TJ was saying he was beating Faber. If you think TJ is being honest now, that stupid ass kool aid pic is for you. I know a trifling punk when I see one.

Last edited:

Yeah those super immature angry champs like Johnson, Edgar, Silva, St Pierre, Cruz, Aldo, dos Anjos, Pettis, Henderson, Hendricks, Weidman, Machida, Velasquez, Miocic, Werdum. What a long list of people who won their titles because they were hot headed. Hell you could argue McGregor is also not a hot head he just trash talks a lot.

Speak for yourself. Backing Cody this long has been a real eye opener. It doesn't matter who he fights, insecure people will hate the guy no matter what he does. People just love to hate on the guy, I see so many people talking shit about the fact that the guy has neck tattoos.. I've had my neck tatted for about 13 years and never heard one man say something negative about it, only heard women compliment them.

People will find a reason to hate on someone. The guy took a kid who survived years of chemotherapy to all his UFC fights, won the belt for him and strapped it around his waist and yet here everyone is hating on the guy because he has beef with a teammate

TJ is a proven liar, he swears he was never knocked out, but Matt Sera admitted to seeing the video. I guarantee you TJ and Duane would release a tape of him whooping Garbrandt in practice if they had one. Only reason Cody ever brought it up is because TJ was saying he was beating Faber. If you think TJ is being honest now, that stupid ass kool aid pic is for you. I know a trifling punk when i see one.

I love how you decided to bash everyone who doesn't like this guy. You are definately NOT insecure. Nope. Not at all.

I get it that you like Cody. He seems like a guy who would do a ton for his friends, he is loyal and has a big heart but is also really dumb and hot headed. FFS he can't even express himself properly without trying trying to fight. I don't have that against him but don't make him an angel.

Also even though I used to hang around the tattoo scene around a lot you are plain lying or live on the north pole if no one ever commented on your neck tattoos. I've known 6'5'' 220lb guys get shitty comments about their tattoos.

People will find a reason to hate on someone. The guy took a kid who survived years of chemotherapy to all his UFC fights, won the belt for him and strapped it around his waist and yet here everyone is hating on the guy because he has beef with an ex teammate

TJ is a proven liar, he swears he was never knocked out, but Matt Sera admitted to seeing the video. I guarantee you TJ and Duane would release a tape of him whooping Garbrandt in practice if they had one. Only reason Cody ever brought it up is because TJ was saying he was beating Faber. If you think TJ is being honest now, that stupid ass kool aid pic is for you. I know a trifling punk when i see one.

<[analyzed}>

Just for the record, I have hated TJ since he told his teammates and coaches on TUF that since he was the best guy there they should be protecting him with easy fights so he is fresh for the later rounds. Cody and Beta-Boys have been so bad I am actually pulling for TJ and Peanut Butter Bang.

And respect to Cody for what he has done for that boy. No doubt solid.

I love how you decided to bash everyone who doesn't like this guy. You are definately NOT insecure. Nope. Not at all.

I get it that you like Cody. He seems like a guy who would do a ton for his friends, he is loyal and has a big heart but is also really dumb and hot headed. FFS he can't even express himself properly without trying trying to fight. I don't have that against him but don't make him an angel.

Also even though I used to hang around the tattoo scene around a lot you are plain lying or live on the north pole if no one ever commented on your neck tattoos. I've known 6'5'' 220lb guys get shitty comments about their tattoos.

I am bashing everyone who bashes the guy.. Pretty sick of seeing it every time I go online anywhere mma related. I am just telling you the pattern i see in the people bashing the guy.

You can call me a liar but I ain't never heard one dude say anything bad about my neck tattoos to my face, and I'm 6'1 215 pounds, Lived in multiple cities from Little Rock to, Columbus, to Albany to ABQ since I got them.
I guess neck tattoos trigger people for some reason. People tend to keep that shit to themselves around me tho so I can only imagine its an insecurity issue, or maybe you are from an area where people are open assholes or maybe you just know guys with shitty tattoos that get punked by their shitty friends, just figured I would mention that because it seems to be a running theme with the people hating on him.

Last edited:
<[analyzed}>

Just for the record, I have hated TJ since he told his teammates and coaches on TUF that since he was the best guy there they should be protecting him with easy fights so he is fresh for the later rounds. Cody and Beta-Boys have been so bad I am actually pulling for TJ and Peanut Butter Bang.

And respect to Cody for what he has done for that boy. No doubt solid.

I just think its not so cut and dry as what you see on TV. Pick who you want, I think Cody has a lot of heart and maybe I am shitty judge of character but I see a good dude underneath the exterior in him.

I am bashing everyone who bashes the guy.. Pretty sick of seeing it every time I go online anywhere mma related. I am just telling you the pattern i see in the people bashing the guy.

You can call me a liar but I ain't never heard one dude say anything bad about my neck tattoos to my face, and I'm 6'1 215 pounds, Lived in multiple cities from Little Rock to, Columbus, to Albany to ABQ since I got them.
I guess neck tattoos trigger people for some reason. People tend to keep that shit to themselves around me tho so I can only imagine its an insecurity issue, or maybe you are from an area where people are open assholes or maybe you just know guys with shitty tattoos that get punked by their shitty friends, just figured I would mention that because it seems to be a running theme with the people hating on him.

So because many people criticism Cody you decided he can no longer be criticized and the amount of criticism has turned him into a perfect human being? Wait till Trump hears of that :D

Also if you are going to bash people at least do it in an intelligent matter. Not throw random digs like calling someone insecure only because he doesn't like Cody.

As for calling you liar - yup I am. I've spent enough time in the US and people speak their opinion on the street and in random meetings much more freely than in Europe. Here people may judge you but will be silent yet my friends with tats similar to Codys all got shit for their neck tatoos. Not a lot but it happened.

Though it's nice that you decide to insult my friends only because I don't like a guy you don't even know IRL. No wonder you are defending Cody, you are as classy and well adjusted as him

So because many people criticism Cody you decided he can no longer be criticized and the amount of criticism has turned him into a perfect human being? Wait till Trump hears of that :D

Also if you are going to bash people at least do it in an intelligent matter. Not throw random digs like calling someone insecure only because he doesn't like Cody.

As for calling you liar - yup I am. I've spent enough time in the US and people speak their opinion on the street and in random meetings much more freely than in Europe. Here people may judge you but will be silent yet my friends with tats similar to Codys all got shit for their neck tatoos. Not a lot but it happened.

Though it's nice that you decide to insult my friends only because I don't like a guy you don't even know IRL. No wonder you are defending Cody, you are as classy and well adjusted as him
dude just shut up. done with your shit. Ignoring you worthless haters

dude just shut up. done with your shit. Ignoring you worthless haters

Cody, is it you? Because like him you have a problem with discussion. Man why not just have a civilized discussion? I like Cody as a fighter but your fanboysm is silly. If you told me one of the fighters I like is a moron I'd be willing to defend it without calling you insecure or calling you a worthless hater. Grow up kid.

We are all friends here. Be honest. Are you telling me that you don't think Cody has completely embarrassed himself doing this show? We don't see enough of his coaching but not cornering his guys but yelling poor advice from the bleachers is Carwinesque. The guy can't interact with the other team without escalating it to a physical confrontation. Him and Alpha-Male can't stop talking about team loyalty, the they bully and force Hayder into the only fight he didn't want round 1 because it was his team mate. Hangin with the boooyyyyzzzzz. Even results, his team is winless. Can you give me even a single Cody positive from this season so far?
Ugh. I forgot about that. He drinks like a wuss too. That's reason enough not to trust him for me.

I loved how Misha Tate was just like "yeah, I'm not exactly sure why I'm here. I don't really know Cody."

That Alpha Male team has been on many seasons of TUF. It's the fighters and fight picks.

Chael has some decent opinions on MMA and articulates them well, but often times I think he looks for a different angle from the obvious just to sound smart.

Having said that, I do think TJ picked the far better team and that is a factor in his success here, but that just shows he's more intelligent and perceptive than Cody about fighting.

Back