Chael Sonnen explains why Cody Garbrandt's team is doing poorly compared to TJ Dillashaws

he can't legitimately believe Cody is a good coach

his advice is garbage

also Sonnen is being too humble about his coaching ability KG went from being the worst guy on the show to the best guy on the show under him

TJ is a way better coach than Cody.

Cody ruined his whole team's nasal cavity with that nose balloon bullshit. I won't be surprised if everyone will lose in his team.

I agree with Sonnen here, obviously a good coach matters and I agree TJ is the better coach this season by far, but ultimately there's so little time with these guys that they either have it, or they don't by this stage.

It's like cramming for a test an hour before - if you don't know it now you ain't gonna know it.

he can't legitimately believe Cody is a good coach

his advice is garbage

also Sonnen is being too humble about his coaching ability KG went from being the worst guy on the show to the best guy on the show under him
Hell yes man!! Sonnen is probably the best coach so far on TUF.

Cody had some garbage "Advice". Just barking out orders without any technical advice on how to do it. And when they lose, Cody blames the fighters. Very good on the morale. Cody is probably one of the worst coach so far. TJ is a very good coach actually. Actual technical advice and it seems like he actually cares for his guys too unlike Cody. Team TJ all the way!!! Clean sweep *knock on wood*

Cody is a horrible coach the only reason team even has a fighting chance is because of the coaches he brought with him you know the guys who are doing the heavy lifting Bucholz, Castillo,Faber

Cody is a horrible coach the only reason team even has a fighting chance is because of the coaches he brought with him you know the guys who are doing the heavy lifting Bucholz, Castillo,Faber
Who's the fat guy? Boxing coach? Name?

I figure Chael might know better. Wouldn't matter if Cody's team was winning every fight tho, you people would still hate on the dude.

I figure Chael might know better. Wouldn't matter if Cody's team was winning every fight tho, you people would still hate on the dude.
Only because he's obnoxious.

As it stands, he really is a terrible coach. He's not nearly as invested in his team as TJ has been, and his ringside advice is straight garbage. Example: Hayder never should have been pitted against his friend and teammate like that. That dude was a hammer on his season and probably could have beaten Diego, but you could tell he REALLY didn't want to do the fight and as a result he was gun shy the whole time (not to take anything away from Diego, he looked great in that fight). At one point I actually heard Cody say "You don't wanna screw this up!" Like What the fuck is that supposed to do besides instill doubt? He sounds more like a Buffalo Wild Wings patron than a coach.

Only because he's obnoxious.

As it stands, he really is a terrible coach. He's not nearly as invested in his team as TJ has been, and his ringside advice is straight garbage. Example: Hayder never should have been pitted against his friend and teammate like that. That dude was a hammer on his season and probably could have beaten Diego, but you could tell he REALLY didn't want to do the fight and as a result he was gun shy the whole time (not to take anything away from Diego, he looked great in that fight). At one point I actually heard Cody say "You don't wanna screw this up!" Like What the fuck is that supposed to do besides instill doubt? He sounds more like a Buffalo Wild Wings patron than a coach.

Yeah whatevere, cool, He is a bantam weight with power like a welterweight. I don't care if ppl don't like his tattoos and could give a damn about his personality, he made the BW division not suck. Coaching is for failures like Bang and TJ

I think that's the main reason he brought so many guys. He KNOWS he's probably not the best coach in the world. TJ helps Duanne teach classes and has more experience in the coach/mentor department. Cody is (for good reason) WAY more focused on his own career imo.

It's probably the reason Cody doesn't directly corner his people either. He knows Buckholz is a professional corner at this point and that's the better guy to have in there. Don't get me wrong, I'm agreeing TJ is the better coach. Just pointing out the reasons that I believe things are the way they are.

Who's the fat guy? Boxing coach? Name?

Cody's uncle. His first name is Bob. They call him "Stingray". Not sure why and I can't remember his last name. He was a boxer himself, worked with a lot of guys from Ohio and Western PA and was responsible for Cody getting into combat sports.

EDIT:
Meese - the last name is Meese. That was killing me. lol

It's like cramming for a test an hour before - if you don't know it now you ain't gonna know it.

Agreed. And let's face it - this season was won/lost right at the fighter picks. I think Cody set himself up for a long hard season right from the jump with his team selection.

Last edited:
KG went from being the worst guy on the show to the best guy on the show under him

You don't go from being a bum to a contender in a couple weeks. KG was good before he got there - just seemed like no one respected him or knew him.

I think it's all in the fighter picks this season.
TJ picked the taller/longer fighters and the more technical guys, Cody picked more brawlers/sluggers.

And generally the more technical guys will win.
Look at all the UFC champs- the only time brawlers win & hold belts are when they're able to blend a high level of technical striking into their game, i.e. Lawler, Cody, Stipie, etc

While there definitely are cases where one coach has the much better team to begin with, I feel like Cody is acting like a complete dick to his team whenever they lose. They do their best, lose, and then Cody treats them like shit like they don't care. That's what bothers me. You can be an excellent coach and lose fights. But a good coach helps his fighters learn and grow from mistakes and losses and come back stronger. Not get pissed and scold and embarrass them.

We are all friends here. Be honest. Are you telling me that you don't think Cody has completely embarrassed himself doing this show? We don't see enough of his coaching but not cornering his guys but yelling poor advice from the bleachers is Carwinesque. The guy can't interact with the other team without escalating it to a physical confrontation. Him and Alpha-Male can't stop talking about team loyalty, the they bully and force Hayder into the only fight he didn't want round 1 because it was his team mate. Hangin with the boooyyyyzzzzz. Even results, his team is winless. Can you give me even a single Cody positive from this season so far?

Cody has made some awful matchup picks. Like it was said above, picking Hayder to fight his best bud in his first fight was a very stupid move. He probably could have won against someone else. Always calling out TJ for not being loyal and sticking with the team but then telling Hayder "it's your own journey, bro." These guys can't retain any sort of coherent ideas or thoughts. It's all a mishmash of stupid cliches and bro knowledge.

Cody's only advice during fights:

"He's scared to stand with you!"

"He wants out!"

"Brawl!"

Cody's picks where trash, his fight selections where worse, but his coaching (or lack thereof) is what will cause a 0 win season for him.

Back