Chael said Uriah is the best... in front of Kelvin

Liddells Gut

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I keep hearing how great of a coach Chael has been (and I largely agree), but isn't it messed up that Chael was praising Uriah by saying that he is better than everyone else in the division.... while Kelvin was sitting in the same circle.

Regardless of whether it's true or not, that's a pretty dickish move on Chael's part.

It's an over edited scripted reality show. Don't take what they say seriously. The only part that is real are the fights.

uriah hall vs. connor mcwhatever for the OMFGbestfighterever title (LOL)

I'm not sure about the days of each fight, but they showed no footage of Kelvin's practice. I don't believe the Kevlin fight had already happened, when Chael said his piece. I have no proof of it, but just a hunch.

I think it was to help build his confidence for the Andrews fight.

I think it was to help build his confidence for the Andrews fight.

Probably, which is good coaching... for Uriah. But it probably puts seeds of doubt into Kelvin that he can't beat Uriah if Uriah's head is in the game.

What?
That speach was before his fight against Dylan, Sonnen's plan was to Uriah to win the fight against Andrews.
If he does, then he has to fight Kelvin.
But don't tell him to think about all the possibilites?
Because he can stop coaching then.
From the first day he coaches his guys, but what if they faces each others during the competition?

No, that's BS. Complete BS.
He said Uriah doesn't trust himself enough and he just gave him a boost.
And by the way, yeah, Uriah is probably a bit more talented. Doesn't mean he will win. But he is.

Probably, which is good coaching... for Uriah. But it probably puts seeds of doubt into Kelvin that he can't beat Uriah if Uriah's head is in the game.

Well, let's be honest here, I don't think many people give Kelvin too much of a chance if Uriah's head is in the game.

That's what makes for the perfect upset. I do like Kelvin, so I most likely will be rooting for him, but I do think Uriah has more potential in the MW division.

you don't have to be better than someone to beat them... think about it

Dana was telling everyone several times that the kid is a beast, prolly even said hes the TUF GOAT!

That's what makes for the perfect upset. I do like Kelvin, so I most likely will be rooting for him, but I do think Uriah has more potential in the MW division.

True. I'd prefer to see Kelvin drop to WW and unleash some havoc.

I keep hearing how great of a coach Chael has been (and I largely agree), but isn't it messed up that Chael was praising Uriah by saying that he is better than everyone else in the division.... while Kelvin was sitting in the same circle.

Regardless of whether it's true or not, that's a pretty dickish move on Chael's part.

Were those fights one after another or were they on different days? The way the show was edited it seemed like Chael gave that speech between their fights, in which case I wouldn't think it was bad at all.

That's exactly what Kelvin has proved this whole season, in my opinion.
Well Kelvin has finished all his TUF opponents I believe. He has to be better than some of them... well he was at least better that day :wink:

i thought samething but he was talking about MW, and kevin i think will likely drop to ww

I'm in the crowd that assumes it was probably before Uriah's fight. I mean, why would Chael be sitting there building up Uriah and praising him in front of everyone if he wasn't even about to go into a fight? What would the point in that be.

Coaches tell their fighters all the time that they are the best in the world before a fight. The other teammates aren't like, "hey, he told me I was the best!"

I think it's generally understood between teammates that while some guys are obviously indeed better than others, everyone pretty much gets told some version of, "you're the best and you're a monster," before they step into the cage.

As for Kelvin, Chael also said that he and Uriah were pretty evenly matched in sparring (obviously not a real fight of course). By that I mean if Kelvin knows he can hang with Uriah, and he hears Chael talking about how Uriah could beat anyone in the division, some of that praise transfers to Kelvin as well.

Kelvin is 7 years younger then Hall ffs... For that time he can become a frigin beast if he is lucky. Don't see it happening cuz that's TUF, but Kelvin has the potential to be champion when he hits the age Urijah is right now.

PS: Woohoo I'm a yellow belt now.

Back