Cellphones At Concerts

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
When I went to concerts there were no recording devices of any kind allowed in an arena. If you had to make a phone call you used a payphone. Why do they now allow people to bring cellphones with audio and visual recording ability into the arenas at concerts? Do they just figure the music business is so dead that it can't be hurt any worse?

Maybe because you can't really expect people to just temporarely hand-in a $1000+ device containing a shit load of personal information etc.

There was a concert i wanted to go to bit you had to hands-on your phone at the counter. Didnt go. No different to me having to hand in your carkeys etc. Im not gonna entrust a stranger with my valuable/expensive shit.

They correctly fear that people would rather not go to a show that doesn’t allow them to have their phone or atleast prohibits them from recording. That’s how lame people are now.

I remember watching some drunk guy get kicked out of ozzfest in 2001 because he was holding up a tape recorder(which was outdated then) during Black Sabbath.

Now I go to a show and thousands of people act like they are the only ones capturing this footage of Tool playing.

Can't really stop it, though I some guys like Jack White try to. Which is good as it is annoying imo, why can't people just enjoy the show in the moment? I was at St Vincent last month and these people have no sense of irony, still took their phones out and recorded Digital Witness, which is exactly about that kind of thing:

"Digital witnesses, what's the point of even sleeping?
If I can't show it, if you can't see me
What's the point of doing anything?"

Euthanize all phone addicts. Miserable, insufferable, self involved cretins.

They ruined G n R, Iron Maiden, etc...for me and countless other shows. It completely ruins the ambiance, mood and experience for me seeing and having these c#nts holding up their gadgets.

I knew my days as an old school dirt head were drawing to a close when I watched a bunch of slobs texting, tweeting, fb-ing, filming, etc... "Fucked with a Knife" at a cannibal Corpse show.

Can't really stop it, though I some guys like Jack White try to. Which is good as it is annoying imo, why can't people just enjoy the show in the moment? I was at St Vincent last month and these people have no sense of irony, still took their phones out and recorded Digital Witness, which is exactly about that kind of thing:

"Digital witnesses, what's the point of even sleeping?
If I can't show it, if you can't see me
What's the point of doing anything?"

Lots of artists and bands are employing the ban. Good for them. These brain dead impulsive drones are so fucking annoying. I usually spit on them.

Maybe because you can't really expect people to just temporarely hand-in a $1000+ device containing a shit load of personal information etc.

There was a concert i wanted to go to bit you had to hands-on your phone at the counter. Didnt go. No different to me having to hand in your carkeys etc. Im not gonna entrust a stranger with my valuable/expensive shit.

It's no different to you than having to hand in your car keys? Are you serious? Is there some reason you would have been incapable of driving to the concert without bringing your cell phone with you? We used to bring a map with us in case we needed one. Remember those? In contrast, driving to the concert without your car keys would present a major problem. Besides, supposing you somehow forgot that it's standard policy for arenas to not allow "recording devices of any kind" into a concert, you could have left your cell phone in your glove compartment. Leaving your car keys in the glove compartment wouldn't be too bright of an idea.

I never felt the need to bring "valuable/expensive shit" to a concert, nobody except a few people who smuggled tape recorders in to concerts did either and guess what....we were all just fine, we all had a great time. If you're so bored at a concert that you feel compelled to bring your own personal phone with you then it's not a concert worth going to in the first place. I grew up without the internet and without cell phones so I'm not dependent on constantly having a cell phone with me and damn glad of it! I think it would be extremely uncomfortable to be so dependent on constantly having a cell phone with me that I felt compelled to bring a cell phone to a rock concert.

Euthanize all phone addicts. Miserable, insufferable, self involved cretins.

They ruined G n R, Iron Maiden, etc...for me and countless other shows. It completely ruins the ambiance, mood and experience for me seeing and having these c#nts holding up their gadgets.

I knew my days as an old school dirt head were drawing to a close when I watched a bunch of slobs texting, tweeting, fb-ing, filming, etc... "Fucked with a Knife" at a cannibal Corpse show.

At least in the 80s if you smuggled a tape recorder into a concert, you had to be covert about it; you couldn't hold it up in plain sight. If they had foolishly done that and gotten caught, I don't know if security would have confiscated the equipment which patrons were specifically told not to bring inside the arena, or if they would have only thrown the offending person ornpeople out of the venue. Maybe instead of confiscating it they would have simply confiscated the tape inside the recorder, just as they could have taken the film out of a camera. That's probably what they would have done. I doubt they had the legal right to confiscate the recorder or camera - just the tape or film which they had been using during the concert.

These children who have as much trouble parting with their cellphones for a few hours to attend a concert as a babies have with parting with their pacifiers for a little while are so damn pathetic that I don't doubt they ruined concerts for you and countless others. Until they grow up, they shouldn't be allowed at concerts.

At least in the 80s if you smuggled a tape recorder into a concert, you had to be covert about it; you couldn't hold it up in plain sight. If they had foolishly done that and gotten caught, I don't know if security would have confiscated the equipment which patrons were specifically told not to bring inside the arena, or if they would have only thrown the offending person ornpeople out of the venue. Maybe instead of confiscating it they would have simply confiscated the tape inside the recorder, just as they could have taken the film out of a camera. That's probably what they would have done. I doubt they had the legal right to confiscate the recorder or camera - just the tape or film which they had been using during the concert.

These children who have as much trouble parting with their cellphones for a few hours to attend a concert as a babies have with parting with their pacifiers for a little while are so damn pathetic that I don't doubt they ruined concerts for you and countless others. Until they grow up, they shouldn't be allowed at concerts.

what's worse is their entitled attitude. You're not entitled to ruin someone else's experience to get your cellphone fix. Pathetic weak minded scum.

Everyone around me at G n R had to record the first bit of every song, upload it to fb, then continuously check their notifications. What disgusting pieces of shit.

I fucking hate it to be honest. I went to see The Cure last year and it was the first gig I've been to in a while that wasn't full of young people with their phones out, but I have no idea what the solution would be. Maybe, just dis-encourage it by putting up signs and if people in the front row have phones out then get the security to warn them that if they do that then they're getting kicked out.

It's no different to you than having to hand in your car keys? Are you serious? Is there some reason you would have been incapable of driving to the concert without bringing your cell phone with you? We used to bring a map with us in case we needed one. Remember those? In contrast, driving to the concert without your car keys would present a major problem. Besides, supposing you somehow forgot that it's standard policy for arenas to not allow "recording devices of any kind" into a concert, you could have left your cell phone in your glove compartment. Leaving your car keys in the glove compartment wouldn't be too bright of an idea.

I never felt the need to bring "valuable/expensive shit" to a concert, nobody except a few people who smuggled tape recorders in to concerts did either and guess what....we were all just fine, we all had a great time. If you're so bored at a concert that you feel compelled to bring your own personal phone with you then it's not a concert worth going to in the first place. I grew up without the internet and without cell phones so I'm not dependent on constantly having a cell phone with me and damn glad of it! I think it would be extremely uncomfortable to be so dependent on constantly having a cell phone with me that I felt compelled to bring a cell phone to a rock concert.

Who said anything about a

You seem to be taking this a bit personal old timer.. lol! Who said anything about a rock concert anyway? Where in my post die it say anything about getting bored and having to play with your phone during this fictional rock concert for that matter? You seem to give a different meaning to my post and really make it something you can disagree with. That seems a little childish.

Is there really nog scenario in which you see the upside to being reachable by phone while not at home? Perhaps you have children and want the babysitter to be able to reach you. Or your kid is old enough to stay home alone but could still need it's parents in case of whatever. There are a lot of reasons why someone wants to be able to receive calls whole not at home. Those reasons don't become any less reasonable when going to a concert.

Who said anything about a

You seem to be taking this a bit personal old timer.. lol! Who said anything about a rock concert anyway? Where in my post die it say anything about getting bored and having to play with your phone during this fictional rock concert for that matter? You seem to give a different meaning to my post and really make it something you can disagree with. That seems a little childish.

Is there really nog scenario in which you see the upside to being reachable by phone while not at home? Perhaps you have children and want the babysitter to be able to reach you. Or your kid is old enough to stay home alone but could still need it's parents in case of whatever. There are a lot of reasons why someone wants to be able to receive calls whole not at home. Those reasons don't become any less reasonable when going to a concert.

Who said anything about a rock concert? I did because that's an example of a place where this situation has gotten entirely out of control.

If you'd like a different type of example I can provide that. When I go to classical music concerts the problem of people holding their cellphones up in the air, obstructing views, etc does not exist. Period. In well over 10 years of attending classical music concerts at our local venue here in the Washington D.C. area, I have never once witnessed anyone ever holding up a cellphone to record a video or take a picture. The rule at our local venue is simple: You can bring a cellphone into the concert hall but it must be turned off. Anyone who does not comply will be ejected from the venue. I have never once seen anyone need to be ejected for not obeying the rules.

The manners of the people who attend the classical concerts are of such a higher caliber, they're so much more respectful of the music and the people in the audience than the typical audience at a rock concert that it's absolutely incredible. Clearly, people are capable of bringing cell phones into a concert ad not using them in the actual concert hall during the concert. I've seen the proof. It's time that security demand this same level of respect at all concert venues at concerts of every kind.

what's worse is their entitled attitude. You're not entitled to ruin someone else's experience to get your cellphone fix. Pathetic weak minded scum.

Everyone around me at G n R had to record the first bit of every song, upload it to fb, then continuously check their notifications. What disgusting pieces of shit.

I thought Axl Rose had a zero tolerance policy on fans using cameras or any audio or video recorder. He stops the concert if security refuses to do their jobs, right?

I thought Axl Rose had a zero tolerance policy on fans using cameras or any audio or video recorder. He stops the concert if security refuses to do their jobs, right?

Axl Rose had a zero tolerance policy on anything that upset him.

Which was everything.

I wish they would force people to leave their phones at home/in the car. It's so distracting being at a concert and 75% of the crowd has their fucking phones held up. Why can't people live in the moment and take in their surroundings? How many times are you gonna watch that stupid video you recorded at the concert?

Seems like people are more concerned about social media and being able to upload a video of you at a concert vs. actually experiencing the show. Drives me crazy.

Who said anything about a rock concert? I did because that's an example of a place where this situation has gotten entirely out of control.

If you'd like a different type of example I can provide that. When I go to classical music concerts the problem of people holding their cellphones up in the air, obstructing views, etc does not exist. Period. In well over 10 years of attending classical music concerts at our local venue here in the Washington D.C. area, I have never once witnessed anyone ever holding up a cellphone to record a video or take a picture. The rule at our local venue is simple: You can bring a cellphone into the concert hall but it must be turned off. Anyone who does not comply will be ejected from the venue. I have never once seen anyone need to be ejected for not obeying the rules.

The manners of the people who attend the classical concerts are of such a higher caliber, they're so much more respectful of the music and the people in the audience than the typical audience at a rock concert that it's absolutely incredible. Clearly, people are capable of bringing cell phones into a concert ad not using them in the actual concert hall during the concert. I've seen the proof. It's time that security demand this same level of respect at all concert venues at concerts of every kind.

Yes, because those two types of concerts have the same kind of image and thus should attract the same kind of people. TripleH.gif

I understand what you're saying, but you're not staying on topic. You're trying to debate common decency instead of the question asked by TS; wheter or not phones should be allowed into the arena. Not how people use them once inside the arena. I only made the case/arguement why people could/would be bringing their phone to the arena and why I personally wouldn't hand over my phone to security once inside. Seeing how you seem to be cool with people bringing their phone to the arena and not using them for recording or anything of the shorts it would seem to be in agreement with me.

It's too much these,days they can't stop everyone so it's whatever. The days of bootlegging concerts is finished.

But now maybe like a legit recorder or whatever would cause some effect from the security staff.

Well if they ban cell phones there, people would have to go back to the old days of holding up cigarette lighters instead of dimly lit cell phones during ballads

Back