Carrier plant where Trump "saved 800 jobs" announces 600 layoffs by Christmas.

Kind of human nature, though. Not sure what the solution is. Encouraging patriotism, maybe?

Natural or not (I'm not sure that personal concepts of social order can be natural when against mutual interest), it is markedly more prominent in US culture than elsewhere in the world. Even in very resource-scarce countries, there is more collective regard for and objective appreciation of the welfare of the underclass as indicative of the strength of universal economic opportunity. Lack of class consciousness may shoot naturally from the ethnic heterogeneity and the recent decentralization of the American workforce, but it's certainly not politically or economically rational.

so is it or is it not trump's economy? Just want to get it straight

Remember that Speculative Oil Futures market a few years back? Went up for no reason what so ever. Where is it now?

It was a tough choice tbf: con artist vs murderous sociopath

How have we fallen this far?
The ignorance that you believe this was the choice reveals exactly why we're here.

The ignorance that you believe this was the choice reveals exactly why we're here.
Her little rendezvous in Libya is proof enough.

And the Democrats are why we're here. Had they not torpedoed Sanders he likely makes Trump his bitch in the GE.

Natural or not (I'm not sure that personal concepts of social order can be natural when against mutual interest), it is markedly more prominent in US culture than elsewhere in the world.

We're talking about last-place aversion, right? I'm not aware of research showing that to be a culture-specific thing. But there isn't any necessary reason it should be defined as it is. Like you suggest, it could be defined by class (though I think the history of trying to raise class-consciousness is not encouraging).

Even in very resource-scarce countries, there is more collective regard for and objective appreciation of the welfare of the underclass as indicative of the strength of universal economic opportunity. Lack of class consciousness may shoot naturally from the ethnic heterogeneity and the recent decentralization of the American workforce, but it's certainly not politically or economically rational.

I suspect that the perception of ethnic heterogeneity *follows* rather than causes fragmentation (for example, people can be of the same ethnic background and follow the same basic religion but hate each other over minor doctrinal disputes and define themselves by which side of the divide they're on). I agree that it's not rational, but people act irrationally.

Honestly, the American psychology of being able to solidly refer to someone below oneself in the economic hierarchy is both frighteningly operative in our economic policy and just fucking despicable. Some people are so insecure that they'd have the mine worker give half their paycheck to the billionaire serial rapist just so that they can solidify their economic position about the former.
We are and always have been a highly classist society
It's extremely important that people know who they are better than.

We're talking about last-place aversion, right? I'm not aware of research showing that to be a culture-specific thing.

Heavens no, child. Well, yes, partly I suppose, but not exclusively. That would only sufficiently describe the cannibalization of the working class during its ongoing fusion into/with the underclass. Or at least that is consistent with my understanding of last-place aversion, which I only recall in the context of working class racism (specifically, Southern whites during the Civil Rights Movement). I would not apply that to explain attitudes across all economic strata given the many cultural and historical components (those you mentioned, prosperity gospel, etc.). The systemic and illogical scapegoating of the poor is very uniquely prominent in the US, whether due to demographics, political history, or the inefficacy of the two-party system and SMDP.

The only thing I know is that Trump is not gonna save those jobs. The rust belt needs to reinvent its business model. See e.g. here: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2017/0501/Can-the-Rust-Belt-become-the-Brain-Belt

Also, I feel the rust belt issue is overestimated, at least relative to other job-related topics:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/the-silent-crisis-of-retail-employment/523428/

I've seen little interest for high tech firms to start up in rust belt states unless that company is promised massive subsidizing by the state, city. Even in Buffalo a lot of the start ups here are state grants with little or no "angel" funding. Solar City plant was funded completely by the state, The yahoo data center was given $100+ million in tax breaks and subsidized energy costs.

The reality is most of high tech "brain" companies already have their homes. Mainly in the south in NC, Austin Tx, Florida, or the west coast. They chose those places because they're weather is 24/7/365 nicer, and the high tech talent pool would flock to those places if they had options.

If your an Engineering, CS, medical tech grad with options, You're not going to some midwest cold weather town like Akron Ohio.

These pie in the sky "brain" tech ideas are almost as bad as Trump promising to bring all the manufacturing back.

Lol your the one who's ignorant if you believe the idea the Clinton's are involved in that kind of shit is outside the realms of possibility. Have you ever even looked it up?

Back