Canelo vacates the WBC belt!

SRR fighting Hagler at 160 after a 3 year lay off ,no tune ups , and having fought most of his career at 147 is still a huge accomplishment and i wouldn't place an asterisk next to that fight just because Hagler struggled with a game contender in his previous fight .

Just compare this to fighters today needing an endless amount of tune ups when they move up in weight or when they insist on catchweights when the size difference doesn't warrant it ( Pac-Cotto , Canelo-Golovkin etc... )
Rose colored glasses.

Imagine Canelo retiring right now, waiting for Golovkin to have a really rough fight with a nobody in 5 years and then unretiring and challenging him. Fans would lynch him.

Rose colored glasses.

Imagine Canelo retiring right now, waiting for Golovkin to have a really rough fight with a nobody in 5 years and then unretiring and challenging him. Fans would lynch him.

soft flesh...

giphy.gif

Rose colored glasses.

Canelo fights in the same division as Golovkin while SRL was expected to move up 13 pounds to fight a hard hitting , iron chinned middleweight . expectations were much higher back then .

Nobody would lynch Mayweather if he came back to fight GGG at 160 in 2018 .

Rose colored glasses.

Canelo fights in the same division as Golovkin while SRL was expected to move up 13 pounds to fight a hard hitting , iron chinned middleweight . expectations were much higher back then .

Yeah but Floyd started out as a JMW and moved up to WW. Leonard was always a WW so moving up to 160 was more of a natural progression. Floyd vs GGG would be more like Duran Vs Hagler.

SRL did have a bigger frame, but still, a modern welterweight would never be pressured into moving up 2 weight classes or get called out for "duckng " a much bigger man in the same fashion that SRL did .

Just few months ago people reacted to Kell Brook mentioning GGG's name as a shocking and borderline suicidal thought .

Last edited:
SRL did have a bigger frame, but still, a modern welterweight would never be pressured into moving up 2 weight classes or get called out for "duckng " a much bigger man in the same fashion that SRL did .

Just few months ago people reacted to Kell Brook mentioning GGG's name as a shocking and borderline suicidal thought .
Yeah you do have a point but SRL knew what he was doing. He picked the right time and got the concessions he wanted when he fought Hagler.

Man you ramble on about nothing much.. I asked what EXACTLY was illogical about my posts under the circumstances of the Golovkin/Canelo situation in the context of a boxing forum? Do tell.. White cops! LMAO

Strange cat you.. Worry less about my posting style & more about the substance within it. It will help us both out in future. Peace.

The substance with your post is that you post no truth, jump to conclusions and let your hate control your posts. The way I wrote it before was to give you a more philosophical view, to make you view your own fallacies to help you become less of a wannabe smart internet thug who feels attacked by some of the forum vets. Your posting can ruin the flow of the thread, a thread I check for some official news. You can actually measure my logic by this break down of Alvarez vs Golovkin http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/long-winded-analysis-of-ggg-vs-canelo.3193289/#post-114322623, your past post bash people and bash Alvarez and yet praise Golovkin, you're pretending you're doing nothing wrong. In my linked thread there was actually a dude who got banned there for being a douche. dont follow his same path.

Last edited:
The substance with your post is that you post no truth, jump to conclusions and let your hate control your posts. The way I wrote it before was to give you a more philosophical view, to make you view your own fallacies to help you become less of a wannabe smart internet thug who feels attacked by some of the forum vets. Your posting can ruin the flow of the thread, a thread I check for some official news. You can actually measure my logic by this break down of Alvarez vs Golovkin http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/long-winded-analysis-of-ggg-vs-canelo.3193289/#post-114322623, your past post bash people and bash Alvarez and yet praise Golovkin, you're pretending you're doing nothing wrong. In my linked thread there was actually a dude who got banned there for being a douche. dont follow his same path.

1448.gif

This fight will likely happen after Triple G looks beatable to them and ages (

This is exactly what will happen. It's exactly what Floyd did with Manny. Canelo has age on his side. They want the catch weight to weaken GGG, so they'll be more than happy for age to take it's toll too. They will wait and wait until GGG starts to slow down and show signs of dulling. I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong of course but I won't hold my breath.

Leonard had already established himself as an elite JMW and there wasn't a considerable size difference between him and Hagler. Of course, that doesn't take away from the fact that it was a great win. Canelo (and Golovkin as well) aren't on the level of Hagler or Leonard.

This is exactly what will happen. It's exactly what Floyd did with Manny. Canelo has age on his side. They want the catch weight to weaken GGG, so they'll be more than happy for age to take it's toll too. They will wait and wait until GGG starts to slow down and show signs of dulling. I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong of course but I won't hold my breath.

I don't really think that's what happened with Manny and Floyd.

Yeah manny didn't wait for Floyd to get old. And we don't need to rehash that old one again.

Yeah manny didn't wait for Floyd to get old. And we don't need to rehash that old one again.

We haven't had a thread derailment due to a Manny/Floyd topic in a few weeks. That's got to be a new record.

Floyds style of not taking any damage and fighting at a very measured pace is completely unlike Manny who relied on volume, pace and a gung ho hit and be hit style. Which one do you think is going to fade more with age? The only way Manny was ever going to beat Floyd was sheer volume and pace, when that went he had no way to beat him. Do you think Floyd didn't figure that one out for himself?

Floyds style of not taking any damage and fighting at a very measured pace is completely unlike Manny who relied on volume, pace and a gung ho hit and be hit style. Which one do you think is going to fade more with age? The only way Manny was ever going to beat Floyd was sheer volume and pace, when that went he had no way to beat him. Do you think Floyd didn't figure that one out for himself?

Rubbish.

Floyd was older and a shell of himself. Just because he turned up prepared and sharp doesn't mean he wasn't fighting with a faded skillset.

Rubbish.

Floyd was older and a shell of himself. Just because he turned up prepared and sharp doesn't mean he wasn't fighting with a faded skillset.
Floyd was a shell??! Floyd lost a little bit of speed but retained all of his timing and smarts. Even then he's still faster than 99% of the fighters out there. I think only Khan would match him for speed. That allowed him to shut out a young fighter like Canelo with ease and shut down Manny. The same Manny then went on to own Bradley in his next fight. Fighters like Floyd age really well. Think how much damage Floyd has taken down the years. The guy is a defensive genius. You my friend are talking shit.

I'm saying you know more than to say that the only part of negotiations was aging. Even the biggest pacquiao fans on here weren't saying that.

Floyd was a shell??! Floyd lost a little bit of speed but retained all of his timing and smarts. Even then he's still faster than 99% of the fighters out there. I think only Khan would match him for speed. That allowed him to shut out a young fighter like Canelo with ease and shut down Manny. The same Manny then went on to own Bradley in his next fight. Fighters like Floyd age really well. Think how much damage Floyd has taken down the years. The guy is a defensive genius. You my friend are talking shit.

No he never, he was nothing like his prime self at all.

You do realise that Mayweather used to be a combination puncher right, how many of them did you see in his last few fights? Hardly any is the answer, any time he tried to throw more than 3 punches he falls off balance after the left hook, he's not capable of lighting people up with combinations any more. His straight right hand was missing consistently against Berto and he was effectively winning fights with his jab. Just because he adapted very well to his loss in physical abilities doesn't mean he wasn't past his prime, it's just a testament to how good he is.

Manny can still do everything he's always been able to do, he hasn't had to turn into a potshotter like Floyd, his hands aren't busted, he is still one of the fastest in the sport. Your feet and hands dont slow down from taking punches, that happens to everyone, regardless of your defense. Floyd was handicapped later in his career but he adapted and used his experience to stay on top, he was nothing like the physical beast he used to be.

It's completely disingenuous to suggest that Floyd waited for Manny to get old given his own age and situation.

It's completely disingenuous to suggest that Floyd waited for Manny to get old given his own age and situation.
It's also simply false. Team Pac had a chance to sign a contract in 2010, but failed to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back