Canadian government spends $5.6M on skating rink to be open for 28 days

Giant rubber ducks tour are not new and pretty awesome I think. I saw one in Hong Kong and always kept an eye out for it whenever I was near the harbor. It just brings a smile to people who see it in person. It's a giant floating rubber duck!!!

You're bitching about a rubber duck touring 6 cities in Canada for several months for 120k but you have no problem with Pence showing up for the national anthem PR stunt of an NFL game for 88k?? What did that last? 20-30 mins including gettIng in and out of the stadium???

I cannot remember the incident with Pence. 88k sounds like a huge waste of money for an NFL PR stunt.

I intended no offense or hostility with my post. I was being serious when I said the liberals would have been better off paying for another giant duck instead of paying for the ice rink.
I actually laughed at the Ernie gif lol but yes I do agree with you on that.

I cannot remember the incident with Pence. 88k sounds like a huge waste of money for an NFL PR stunt.

What 7437 said. He flew to an NFL game with the intention of leaving immediately after the national anthem. Wasted tax payers money for jack shiiittt...

As for the outdoor skating rink - agreed. I think it's wasteful considering they have two of them nearby. They are bringing in schools for a tournament so at least there is a purpose behind it but still wasteful.

I actually thought this was a good idea for that exact reason. A lot of people were drawn to it and as a result many businesses in the surrounding area profited.

Well then those businesses should pay the bill, not average citizens

What is there family celebrations are there in Toronto on Canada Day besides a parade? Some fireworks late at night? Walk the streets of a parade to get your face painted? I don't know the cities Canada Day route, but i'm positive it's people stretched out sitting in a long stretch. This duck brought those people into one collective area, instead of being stretched a few kilometers.
You could of paid 2 whores a couple hundred each to be half naked on the street and that would of drawn a larger crowd without costing taxpayers 120K

The liberal government has been absolutely disgusting when it comes to spending with reckless abandon.

Melanie Joly is the liberal idiot behind this money waste. I do not think she has a brain:

melanie-joly.jpg

She doesn’t have a fucking brain period. I could not get through the second vid without throwing my iPad to the ground.

Holding America's pocket doesn't count.
They do count as military actions on their part.. Meh. Canada is not dumb, they know that push comes to shove, we will defend them, so they have no need to spend on military.

That's only half of what an ISIS fighter gets from our government! What a deal!

https://globalnews.ca/news/3828605/parliament-hill-skating-rink/

An outdoor skating rink being built on Parliament Hill for Canada 150’s closing celebrations is expected to cost taxpayers $5.6 million, but Canadians will only have a little over three weeks to skate on it.

The budget for the first-ever rink on the Hill includes the setup, tear-down, some private security, insurance coverage and the attached facilities like change rooms and bleachers. It also includes the cost of bringing 32 peewee hockey teams from across Canada to Ottawa to compete in a special Canada 150 division tournament from Dec. 26 – Dec. 31.

READ MORE: Canada 150 celebrations will cost taxpayers half a billion

“I’m sure that people will have fun there for the 28 days it’s up,” said Conservative MP Ben Lobb on Wednesday.

“It looks good for $5.6 million but I don’t really think it’s a responsible use of taxpayer dollars, especially when we are in a deficit, we are adding to our debt.”

Lobb noted that along with Ottawa’s permanent indoor skating rinks, the famed Rideau Canal skateway is “literally 500 feet down the street” and there is another public outdoor rink at city hall.

“There’s lots of spots to have a great tournament,” he argued. “At the end of the day, it’s your tax dollars.”

Luckily we don't give all the returning ISIS fighters $10 million, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford our sick new skating rink!

Call France and see if that guillotine is available.

At the very least, these politicians should be locked up for the way they spend tax payer money.

well skating is serious business in canada

The liberal government has been absolutely disgusting when it comes to spending with reckless abandon.

Melanie Joly is the liberal idiot behind this money waste. I do not think she has a brain:

melanie-joly.jpg

It's kind of weird how they applaud. There's no clapping in the UK parliament. They just wave their papers around and go 'heere heeere!'

Election season already? Man, it feels like it was just yesterday when Trudeau beat Harper in the Great Canadian Shootout to become prime Minister. Trudeau gets all the glory, but it was really the clinic that Jean Chretian put on in goal for the Liberals, that sealed the deal.

What 7437 said. He flew to an NFL game with the intention of leaving immediately after the national anthem. Wasted tax payers money for jack shiiittt...

Peanuts compared to what American tax payers are paying for PR for Trump resorts. 1/3 of his first 300 days in office spent at Trump resorts. Billing SS and all.
Funny how Mar-A-Lago doubled their membership fee when Trump ws elected :)

They should have made an outdoor trail intead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back