Can we talk about Rob Font vs. Thomas Almeida?

Gigaton Punch

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So, this was probably the fight I was hyped for the most at UFC 220 outside of the main event and it delivered

Rob Font has always been a really talented guy who's looked awesome in his wins but has failed against top comp. He was never really able to get going against John Lineker and dove into one of the most dangerous guillotines in the sport after getting rocked against Pedro Munhoz. This was a big opportunity for him against a ranked opponent and I was happy to see him put it all together and get a beautiful KO win. I'm on my phone so I can't post it but hopefully someone else can provide a gif of that gorgeous head kick from the clinch since you typically don't see head kicks from such a tight distance.

Now as for Almeida, this is his 3rd loss in 4 fights with his only win in that span being against Albert "Who?" Morales. He was pegged by many to be the next big contender and even a future champion leading into his fight with Cody Garbrandt, instead he got dealt with quite easily in what turned out to be Cody's coming out party. I thought he actually looked really improved in a very competitive fight with Jimmie Rivera but he still lost a clear decision. Now, he loses to Font and while I think it's too early to write him off I think his career will probably never turn out how people expected. I was always skeptical especially after the Brad Pickett fight which was a spectacular KO win in a fight where he took a ton of damage from a guy who hadn't looked good in years. That's the main issue with Almeida, he takes a ton of damage in these fights. KO'd twice now and was dropped 2 times each by Pickett and Rivera. The book is out now that Almeida is all offense with no defense to speak of. His striking reminds me a lot of a young Carlos Condit, varied and extremely dangerous but very hittable. Difference being Condit had and has a legendary chin and Almeida doesn't. When Almeida gets hit hard, he just falls. So, I don't see him getting too far in the division going forward. I think he'll be more of a dangerous, exciting, mid level action fighter than the contender he was originally thought to be.

Almeida seems like another overrated spinning shit guy.

Font seems like he could go far.

Almeida is a guy who can beat anyone, yet somehow, anyone can beat him. Yes, a disappointment to us fans thus far.

Almeida has excellent hands but some serious defensive flaws. I think he will find his way. The UFC obviously likes him a lot.

Almeida needs to retire. Getting KO'd that often at 135 can't be a good thing.

Nah he can still improve.

Font is his most embarrassing loss and that isn't saying much since Font could potentially be a big thing.

A former and likely future champ on a crazy win streak aren't bad losses at all.

He's just not that good. Even in several of his wins he was losing before the KO.

At the very least a good gatekeeper. Action fighter. They should keep

Picked Almeida in the fight. Dude was a young prospect not to long ago. Hopefully he is ok after that knockout. That was brutal...

Almeida has a glass jaw, I laughed at people thinking he would be champion, I knew he wouldn’t make it to the top after the Pickett fight.

Almeida seems like another overrated spinning shit guy.

Font seems like he could go far.
Font and Kattar really impressed the hell out of me, I could see either being very successful.

Almeida is a guy who can beat anyone, yet somehow, anyone can beat him. Yes, a disappointment to us fans thus far.

Stop and think about how ridiculously tough luck it is to fight Jimmy Rivera and Garabrandt one fight apart. Those are world class, champion level fighters, the elite of the elite. If Almedia beat them both he would be one of the best fighters in the world right now.

You have to take these things in context. We'll see how he recovers from this skid.

Font is a lot of fun, really entertaining guy to watch.

Almeida needs to sort out his defensive striking before his chin disappears at a young age.

Back